Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Metro North Mall

Post by FangKC »

They are planning some sort of family game center across the street in the former Best Buy space that will include an outdoor go cart track behind the building. Everything else will be inside the building.
ORDINANCE NO. 140226

Approving an amendment to a previously approved preliminary development plan in District B3-2 (formerly CP-3) on approximately a 36 acre tract of land generally located at the southeast corner of N.W. Barry Road and U.S. Highway 169, to allow for an outdoor go-cart track. (6981-P-32)
http://powerplaykc.com/

http://tinyurl.com/pntnlnc
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

FangKC wrote:They are planning some sort of family game center across the street in the former Best Buy space that will include an outdoor go cart track behind the building. Everything else will be inside the building.
Power Play, and I think it's already open.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

shaffe wrote:
FangKC wrote:They are planning some sort of family game center across the street in the former Best Buy space that will include an outdoor go cart track behind the building. Everything else will be inside the building.
Power Play, and I think it's already open.

They will be opening in "early May"
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

You beat me to posting the date.
2000_Watts
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 2000_Watts »

Metro North Mall owner MD Management Inc. plans to complete redevelopment of the long-distressed retail site as a one-story, two-anchor enclosed mall by fall 2015....

http://m.bizjournals.com/kansascity/new ... fbk&r=full

So where will everybody park?!?!? &
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

that article is way out of date. they pushed this back to redo Antioch Mall
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I don't have a link handy, but there was some news about the redevelopment in the last couple months that they couldn't find a second anchor and without a second anchor (the first being Macy's) they couldn't proceed. I think they are still looking for a second anchor, but may also be looking at alternatives for the site.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Sky Golf? Main Event?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Metro North Mall sold to local developer
“We look forward to working with the community and the city of Kansas City to redevelop the area in a manner similar to our successes at Blue Ridge and Antioch Center,” Patrick Hayes, president IAS said in a statement.

While Hayes did not disclose specific plans for the mall, the announcement said the developer plans to seek tax increment financing from the city and other incentives for the project.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I don't have high hopes for this anymore. This purchase is at least progress, but likely means the plans for the property will be completely different. I really don't want to see this turn into a Mission Gateway project that goes on and on.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I have a feeling this project may drag on until second creek starts developing. there's no need for more retail in the 152 corridor right now but add 75,000 people and that will change.

and the empty commercial land outdoes even what's at and near Metro North

the shopping center with target across 169, the owner of it has land that goes from south of the police station at Barry all the way around to south of 152 at Barry School. It's an entity that clearly has separate residential and commercial holding companies and this is all commercial. that's easily 3x the size of Metro North

that's just one owner. there are so many large parcels that could be rezoned that Barry Road could look like Metcalf south of 95th in a few decades
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They need to quit focusing so much on retail and office and build more apartments and townhouses, and try and populate the retail to fill the needs of future on-site residents and those within a few miles, not the region. That site is no longer a regional attraction. There is too much competing big-box retail in the overall area and region already. Have the existing Macy's be the primary anchor, a grocery store, and other service-type retail

The big part of the real estate market that is still not being realized in these redevelopments are the quickly-aging senior and baby boomer generation. This is a huge demographic that will need living environments where they can "age-in-place" and have their needs met. This includes that time when they will probably no longer drive their own cars. There is also a great need for neighborhoods that allow seniors to adjust to their changing situation and stay put: apartments, in-home services, assisted living, and nursing home care. A neighborhood designed for them where they can walk, get exercise, and socialize. One, where as their friends change living situations, they can still see them regularly.

I would imagine that there are many potential tenants living nearby already that are aging in older homes who are becoming less interested in maintaining them and a yard. They want to stay near family and friends, and a familiar environment. Family members want them to remain independent, but also would feel better if they living around other people who could help them and not worry about them being isolated.

The best use I can think of for this site would be something similar to core area of Zona Rosa, but with less big retail stores. The problem with the Zona Rosa design is that it is very difficult to add a lot of multi-tenant units because it's boxed in by highways and arterial streets, and an existing residential neighborhood. It's not setup well to add lots of additional housing units for this population, and have them be able to negotiate around it on foot from their apartments. Only the core area is pedestrian friendly.

In the next 20 years, the senior population in Kansas City will double. Within that group, one of the fastest growing is those living to be 85-years, or older.

http://marc.org/Community/KC-Communitie ... r-web.aspx

A parcel as big at the former Metro North Mall, if redesigned properly, could meet all these needs, and also remain a retail and service hub for existing neighborhoods.
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

A Costco would be nice. We already have two Sam's Clubs in the Northland with I believe a third possibly coming over by I-29 and MO-152. Yet not a one Costco.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Metro North Crossing LLC, a partnership formed by IAS Partners, is planning to demolish all but 221,175 square feet of the shuttered 896,874-square-foot Metro North Mall and add 912,500 square feet of new construction.

Located at U.S. Highway 169 and Barry Road, it is expected to include 826,175 square feet of retail space, about 60,000 square feet of office space, 150 apartment units, a 100-room limited-service hotel and about 4,750 parking spaces on 91.6 acres.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ml?ana=twt
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It needs to a chain new to area besides ones not in that area.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Was doing some Google searching on this project and came across a marketing brochure. Some of the information in it differs from details in recent news articles. Page 3 shows a site plan for the project. I found the site plan very interesting because no site plan has been shown before by the media. Looks kinda like a Legends meets Zona Rosa type layout.

URL for brochure:
http://www.colliers.com/-/media/images/ ... f?la=en-us
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That's from December so it's recent.

It looks almost exactly like the mall today but without a covered path and a few more out buildings other than they're taller. The roads are the same and parking lots largely the same.

I really don't see what it's doing that will drive people to the location over somewhere else. retail, a hotel and some residential. Wow, special.

And it doesn't solve the problem that there's a major excess of retail space in that area. There's probably three malls worth of empty and under utilized retail buildings, pads and empty lots within one mile of that site.

I appreciate mixed use, but they could at least try to make it not be some buildings in a sea of parking.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The only real solution for reviving this parcel is adding a lot of housing of various types--mid-sized apartment rental and condo towers, and dense blocks of townhouses on the land they control. The City should also zone empty adjacent parcels for denser housing. Adjacent streets that feed into this development should be deisgned so that they are walkable, or reachable by bikes. This doesn't just mean putting in sidewalks, but making sure the housing along those sidewalks is up against the sidewalk and designed to make the pedestrian experience pleasant. and not monotonous and discouraging to walking. No long gaps between buildings, long grassy spaces, or parking lots to walk past.

It wasn't just competing shopping centers that spelled the demise of this property, but the last of residential density near it.

The areas with blue borders should be zoned for higher density residential to provide a higher population base near the property to support retail.