Weird observations on Boardwalk

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I know this might sound a little strange, but look at some of these pics of Boardwalk...

Borders is ready to open (only needs some books) and nothing else is even being worked on except Nextel. I'm not a real estate expert or anything, but the entire mall is built, but there is no construction anywhere on the actual tenants...not even an "opening soon" sign anywhere.

and this is the weirdest of all...

They have some of the storefronts boarded up implying that they're not even talking with anyone about leasing it in the immediate future. Borders looks like it could open next month and there won't be one single thing next to it except for maybe a lousy cellular store.

Does anyone know if this is how they opened Town Center? Did they build the entire mall, open a few large stores, and wait to fill in the rest? This doesn't seem like a good way to impress first-time shoppers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I saw that a couple days ago...it is kind of weird....I have seen strip malls open up like this many times though....for example, we went down to that Sneeky Pete's (dualing piano bar good idea, by the way, put one in westport) and it was like the only thing open....almost a year later other things started opening.

There is kind of a "coming soon" sign just on the west side of the lot on a huge white sign, shows some of the tenants logos.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

It might be a sign of developers stretching there resources too thin. Kind of a stupid concept IMO. Isn't there a Border's over in the strip center where AMC is located at off Barry Rd.?
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that's barnes & Noble....and they are moving out of there into Zona Rosa.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This is pretty much how Eastland Center has been opening, just a little at a time, while Hartman seems to be close to have several of its retail stores opening around the same time.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Look exactly the the Mall at Fall Creek (Blue Springs).

Only it's been like that for a year.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Is it just me or does Boardwalk seem to be in a really bad location with limited access via already clusterf*cked roads and intersections? I would guess most people will try to use road that connects the AMC strip mall to the Ford dealership and Wal-Mart, even though it's already a mess. There is another access road at St. Luke's North and Barry, but anyone coming from I-29 or MO-152 would be coming from the west.

Is Green Hills Road the next closet intersection on 152? That's still two-lane for the most part.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

there is an intersection going in to 152 just to the strip mall's east

ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Highway capacity in that area is horrible. Sure the traffic volumes currently aren't bad but just give it some time. The ballot measure that recently passed in Platte County from what I read was mainly to pave gravel roads and really didn't improve existing highways or urban area thoroughfares.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

dangerboy wrote:Is Green Hills Road the next closet intersection on 152? That's still two-lane for the most part.
152 is in the process of being expanded to 4 lanes the entire stretch east of I-29. Green Hills Road is the first intersection after I-29, but it is currently closed so that it can be made into an overpass over 152, as soon as it is expanded to 4 lanes there. Last I saw it was back in march and they have a ways to go.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The difference is...
Boardwalk wasn't supposed to be a "strip mall"....it was supposed to be a "lifestyle center." Strip malls often are built on spec. needs, but regional shopping centers try to have something like 75% of leases signed before construction is done.

I've just noticed that most major shopping center developers (Simon, General Growth, Macerich) will NEVER mention retailers until the leases are signed, but this isn't the case with RED. They announce certain retailers based only on speculation. It just makes you wonder how stable and reliable their business practices are. Remember when the Walk at Highpointe announced their anchors as Sears, Famous Barr and Von Maur?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote:The difference is...
Boardwalk wasn't supposed to be a "strip mall"....it was supposed to be a "lifestyle center." Strip malls often are built on spec. needs, but regional shopping centers try to have something like 75% of leases signed before construction is done.
so a "lifestyle" center is a large strip mall that draws from further away? it still looks like a strip mall to me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

6 of one, half a dozen of another....might have a difference in the industry but looks the same to me too.

I can't believe there aren't retailers banging down the doors of Boadwalk & Zona Rosa to get in....north of the river has to be one of the best retail markets in the city...so underserved yet people are moving up there in mass.....houses cost less hence even more disposable income.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Probably one of the best retail markets in the country....

Yeah, but the lifestyle center is an upscale version of a strip mall. But it's purpose is to make people feel better that they can park next to stuff like Pottery Barn and J. Crew without having to look at or deal with the "common folk" they'd find in a mall.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Wow, thought I was lookin' at pictures of Town Center Plaza in its beginning stages. These damn places all look the same. I'll have to check it out when I go on the Tour Of Homes with my wife's mother next weekend. She loves to check out the $750,000+ homes in the metro area that none of us can afford...I guess we can dream. We'll be checkin' out Clay County homes in The Preserve at Shoal Creek Valley, Staley Farms and Meadow Lake Estates.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Seriously, the architecture on this place is laughable. I mean....what the hell style is it? Brick pastel English village mixed with Olathe big box?
Ugly as sin
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

And it looks exactly the same...EXACTLY the same...no, I mean DOWN TO THE STUPID BAD FAKE COLUMNS, BRICK COLOR, FACADE, ETC as EVERY OTHER stupid strip mall anchored by a bookstore built in the metro in...oh, 7 years or so. WTF? Is this all the same builder?

No way there's an architect involved; any self-respecting architect would saw his/her own head off with a butterknife before working on a project like that.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This architecture is a response to the demand for something with more character than the late 80s / early 90s strip malls. Since it has "columns" and stone facades it appareantly counts as "quality" development.

Sure there was an architect involved. They can't all be Frank Loyd Wright, someone has to design McDonalds and QuickTrip.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:Sure there was an architect involved. They can't all be Frank Loyd Wright, someone has to design McDonalds and QuickTrip.
Now that's f%#kin' funny! :lol:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Well...I was wrong. RED looks like they do have their stuff together. I'm actually pretty impressed by how this place is looking. Yes, it's gaudy and contrived, but that's what suburban shopping centers are supposed to be. It looks 150% better than Town Center already. It looks like the Northland's buying power is finally getting nationally recognized. Let's roll Northland!!!