OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Post by NorthlandGuy »

Tomfooleries and Hollister have closed. Wet Seal to open where Hollister was.
The new Asian place Buddha has opened. Also Eyemasters has opened.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

Odowds has closed at Zona Rosa.

The Limited and J Jill have opened.
Wet Seal to open soon.
Michaels to open were Ethan Allen was...I think.
It too bad to see the bar scene leave Zona. With tomfoolieries and Odowds closing...it doesn't leave much else. There is still Fat Fish Blue, 54th Street, and Bravo that has good bar crowds.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

Bar Louie has opened. Went to lunch there on Sunday. Food was pretty good.
Lots of families were there. I can't wait for the rooftop deck to open.
The bar on the first floor is front and center when you walk in the door.

White House/Black Market to open soon.

Cache has closed. Never saw anyone in there.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Upscale boutique for moms plans Zona Rosa location
Another Hot Mama is headed to the Kansas City metro area.
The upscale boutique, whose mission is to empower moms, will open in spring 2013 in the Zona Rosa shopping district in Kansas City. The chain, founded in 2004, currently has 30 stores nationwide.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

This is great for Zona Rosa. Its been open for nearly 8 years and is still actively marketing its retail space.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

How's Zona Rosa faring these days?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote:How's Zona Rosa faring these days?
very good. I end up in the Zona Rosa/Boardwalk/Tiffany Springs and Shoal Creek/Liberty areas for anything that's not close to me so I see it semi-regularly

parking hidden behind as much as possible, good walking environment, regular activities, offices mixed in, and residential above retail and plans for a hotel

it's rare to find anything as solidly mixed use anywhere in the metro and it's a solid center as a result.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

While I agree that Zona Rosa has been designed in a nice manner and has a decent mix of uses going on, I wouldn't say it's rare to find as good a mixed use area in the metro. Almost all of the urban core is as mixed use or more so, and just about every main street in our suburbs are similarly mixed use. In terms of strictly new greenfield development though, it is doing quite nicely. I'm curious how many people actually live in the district, I can't find any numbers. Doesn't seem like very many. There aren't too many people living within a half mile radius either. Would also be curious to know how much office space is in the district.

Zona Rosa is certainly primed to grow into a vibrant neighborhood, but it needs plenty still. Most importantly it needs more housing. Once this happens then hopefully more neighborhood joints will open up. The center is actually integrated into the surrounding neighborhood reasonably well, and if done properly the open space along Congress can improve upon this integration. It's really too bad that the surrounding neighborhood was developed in such a suburban manner though, because otherwise this urban core could really grow. It's also too bad that it was developed right next to two interstates (well one is a highway), as this completely cuts off two directions it could grow. Not to mention you usually don't want interstates right next to your high value land. This just shows how people in the northland view Zona Rosa. It is sadly just another shopping center, though it has the potential to be so much more. This could be an actual urban neighborhood in the northland. A precedent for future development. I want the northland's commercial corridors to be lined with mixed use buildings like this, and I want them to integrate into the neighborhoods. I know it isn't really what the northland wants right now, but as this city continues growing we are going to need the northland to densify. It makes no sense to keep developing further out when everything is so sparsely populated.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Demosthenes wrote:
Zona Rosa is certainly primed to grow into a vibrant neighborhood, but it needs plenty still. Most importantly it needs more housing. Once this happens then hopefully more neighborhood joints will open up. The center is actually integrated into the surrounding neighborhood reasonably well, and if done properly the open space along Congress can improve upon this integration. It's really too bad that the surrounding neighborhood was developed in such a suburban manner though, because otherwise this urban core could really grow. It's also too bad that it was developed right next to two interstates (well one is a highway), as this completely cuts off two directions it could grow. Not to mention you usually don't want interstates right next to your high value land. This just shows how people in the northland view Zona Rosa. It is sadly just another shopping center, though it has the potential to be so much more. This could be an actual urban neighborhood in the northland. A precedent for future development. I want the northland's commercial corridors to be lined with mixed use buildings like this, and I want them to integrate into the neighborhoods. I know it isn't really what the northland wants right now, but as this city continues growing we are going to need the northland to densify. It makes no sense to keep developing further out when everything is so sparsely populated.
with no drug or grocery stores, about the same as the current Plaza
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

pstokely wrote:with no drug or grocery stores, about the same as the current Plaza
Actually there is a CVS right on the edge of Zona Rosa. But that side of Zona Rosa is really nothing different than any other shopping center with big box/fancy strip mall shops.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtonic wrote:
pstokely wrote:with no drug or grocery stores, about the same as the current Plaza
Actually there is a CVS right on the edge of Zona Rosa. But that side of Zona Rosa is really nothing different than any other shopping center with big box/fancy strip mall shops.
if you don't want to drive to one of three places with grocery nearby there's also bike lanes to I-29 on Barry (not well painted though), and kcata 142 goes to Zona Rosa. you can get to a grocery store for sure via it.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

flyingember wrote:
KCtonic wrote:
if you don't want to drive to one of three places with grocery nearby there's also bike lanes to I-29 on Barry (not well painted though), and kcata 142 goes to Zona Rosa. you can get to a grocery store for sure via it.
Those bike lanes - the way they were set up are death traps. I have yet to see a bike on the bike lanes on Barry from the QT to the west side by the theater.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

KCtonic wrote:Those bike lanes - the way they were set up are death traps. I have yet to see a bike on the bike lanes on Barry from the QT to the west side by the theater.
I ride my bike on the sidewalks all over the area, I'm simply too fearful of the drivers around here to attempt to use the bike lanes.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they need to be separated, not just lines on the pavement, with traffic speeds like that.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Zona Rosa made list

Post by mgsports »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Zona Rosa made list

Post by flyingember »

Yay list!
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Looks like trouble on the horizon for Zona Rosa.

http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/Article12316.htm
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Some gymnastics in the wording to not name the "owners of Zona Rosa".
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

longviewmo wrote:Some gymnastics in the wording to not name the "owners of Zona Rosa".

Olshan Properties is listed at the bottom of their website. A quick Google search revealed they were trying to sell the property as of April 2016 and guess it hasn't sold.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's over built, especially with the amount of retail in the area. Made more sense before the latest shopping center popped up in the area.