OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Post by GRID »

Mizzou05 wrote: This is why

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Retailer Sharper Image Corp has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing declining sales, three straight years of losses and litigation involving its Ionic Breeze air purifiers.

The San Francisco-based company filed for protection late Tuesday in U.S. bankruptcy court in Wilmington, Delaware. Sharper Image said it had $251.5 million in assets and $199 million in debt as of January 31, according to the filing. Cash on hand totaled about $700,000.

Its shares plunged 92 cents, or 64 percent, to 52 cents on Nasdaq.

"Sharper Image is in a severe liquidity crisis," Chief Financial Officer Rebecca Roedell said in a separate filing
And as I predicted, they will close the newest stores first, regardless of how well they are doing.  More overhead to write off.
trailerkid wrote: The only store listed for Missouri or KS is the Plaza. There was/is also a store in Leawood. Very weak indictment of Zona Rosa...
I don't think you can really use this as any "weak indictment" of Zona Rosa.  You don't know that.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

dangerboy wrote: Justin, you promised us you never post in the KCMO threads!
Really? When?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Zona Rosa is getting bigger!

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Zona looks nice from those pictures.  It's pretty obvious that Zona Rosa's potential as a new urbanism poster child is fairly compromised by nature of the land use in the immediate area.  In bottom photo, the entire development is blocked off towards the bottom of the photo by a very low density limited access residential development.  In two other directions the development is isolated by major highways that act as impermeable barriers to further growth or foot traffic.  In the 4th direction, is a wide very busy road.  I enjoyed Zona Rosa on my only trip out there but it's kind of a lost opportunity to integrate entertainment and shopping into the KC north neighborhoods.  It's a fine developement but it is severely isolated by the nature of the land use immediately surrounding it.  I think new urbanism is great but there really should be a greater effort to integrate these developments with the community in a more seamless fashion.   
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Northland/KCMo is lucky to have Steiner up there. They're the best in the business. Remember that this could've looked like 119th or Village West. KCMo should get Steiner to do stuff in Midtown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Zona looks nice from those pictures.   It's pretty obvious that Zona Rosa's potential as a new urbanism poster child is fairly compromised by nature of the land use in the immediate area.  In bottom photo, the entire development is blocked off towards the bottom of the photo by a very low density limited access residential development.  In two other directions the development is isolated by major highways that act as impermeable barriers to further growth or foot traffic.  In the 4th direction, is a wide very busy road.   I enjoyed Zona Rosa on my only trip out there but it's kind of a lost opportunity to integrate entertainment and shopping into the KC north neighborhoods.  It's a fine developement but it is severely isolated by the nature of the land use immediately surrounding it.  I think new urbanism is great but there really should be a greater effort to integrate these developments with the community in a more seamless fashion.   
I can't think of a new urbanism project in any city that has been built in the suburbs that is any different.  It's an island for sure.  But there is only so much you can do.  99% of the population would still prefer a typical suburban home other than the retro traditional stuff they are trying to do and most retail has gone the way of big and mid boxes.  Add in our massive highway network and lack of any transit and this is what we get.

Still, Zona Rosa is one of the largest projects like this I have seen anywhere in the country.  Everybody talks up the Legends while Zona Rosa quietly builds something with some major staying power.
Last edited by GRID on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Highlander wrote: Zona looks nice from those pictures.   It's pretty obvious that Zona Rosa's potential as a new urbanism poster child is fairly compromised by nature of the land use in the immediate area.  In bottom photo, the entire development is blocked off towards the bottom of the photo by a very low density limited access residential development.  In two other directions the development is isolated by major highways that act as impermeable barriers to further growth or foot traffic.  In the 4th direction, is a wide very busy road.   I enjoyed Zona Rosa on my only trip out there but it's kind of a lost opportunity to integrate entertainment and shopping into the KC north neighborhoods.  It's a fine developement but it is severely isolated by the nature of the land use immediately surrounding it.  I think new urbanism is great but there really should be a greater effort to integrate these developments with the community in a more seamless fashion.   
Immediately across 152 from Zona Rosa are medium density apartment homes. Also there are a ton more apartments under construction. The fact that there is a highway nearby is irrelevant, there are many highways that travel straight through downtown for example.

I think Zona Rosa is a shining example of the kind of development that we need in suburban areas throughout the metro. That whole area at I-29, Barry rd., and 152 has just boomed and turned into a great suburban node though it doesn't feature much new urbanist housing.

I work in this area every day and wouldn't mind living in this part of KCMO. Just out of curiosity I notice that the new buildings are pretty tall, is that going to be apartments on upper floors?
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

GRID wrote: I can't think of a new urbanism project in any city that has been built in the suburbs that is any different.  It's an island for sure.  But there is only so much you can do.  99% of the population would still prefer a typical suburban home other than the retro traditional stuff they are trying to do and most retail has gone the way of big and mid boxes.  Add in our massive highway network and lack of any transit and this is what we get.

Still, Zona Rosa is one of the largest projects like this I have seen anywhere in the country.  Everybody talks up the Legends while Zona Rosa quietly builds something with some major staying power.
I'm not denying that Zona Rosa is years ahead of the Legends, especially in terms of expansion. Still they are different projects and the Legends is more of a destination type place with specialty stores, while Zona Rosa is more serving the residents of the area where it is located (and a few like me from surrounding areas :) ).

The sheer size of Zona Rosa makes it about double the Legends. If you add in the new Target, Home Depot, and Best Buy across 152, not to mention the Wal-mart etc. nearby, oh and the huge amounts of new housing going up within a mile or so, it is a much bigger project. I also like the way it was designed better, with a main street that you can drive and park along.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCK wrote: I work in this area every day and wouldn't mind living in this part of KCMO. Just out of curiosity I notice that the new buildings are pretty tall, is that going to be apartments on upper floors?
Call Steiner...I think thats the management/building firm for Zona..they've got an office there too..with nice models of the place..
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

KCK wrote: I work in this area every day and wouldn't mind living in this part of KCMO. Just out of curiosity I notice that the new buildings are pretty tall, is that going to be apartments on upper floors?
There were some apartments in the first phase and I know there's going to be additional apartments in the new part.
KCJason
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCJason »

Dropped by last night to see a comedy show - great show (and Chris Porter stopped by and did a 20 min set) and noticed that the Majestic movie theaters are no more.  We asked the guy taking tickets at the comedy club and he said they weren't doing the business.  It doesn't surprise me, I very rarely encountered crowds when attending movies over there.  He said that they would do something with the space but he wasn't sure what yet.  I personally think it would be a good space for a lucky strike/pin up bowl concept. 

Also saw the Disney store going out of business signs.  I hope ZR can survive this downturn in speciality retail.
Check out my new blog at http://kcnorthland.blogspot.com
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

nota wrote: I doubt anyone here wants Zona to fail. That would mean a lot of bad things for a lot of people not the least of which would be job losses. Legends, I can't really speak about.

My contention is that if/when the economy tanks a bit, places like Zona will have a really hard time surviving. They don't have enough diversity in their stores and they are made to appeal to the middle to upper financial classes who have more disposable income. Those are the people an economic downturn will affect most. JMHO.
and now that the downturn is happening, I'm wondering how many of those businesses will survive. Seems lots have closed or are closing. Sad.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

Every shopping center in the KC metro is struggling right now. Just look at how many places in the Legends that have closed with only a couple years of being open. I think that Zona Rosa will struggle, but I believe it will survive, no doubt about it. It's the only destination shopping center in the northland and serves a lot of area. I think JOCO will hurt the most because it has many shopping centers competing with each other. You have Town Center, OP Mall. Not to mention all of the shopping centers going up ( Corbin Park, Park Place, One Nineteen, Prairiefire, etc.) You have to think, many of the places have closed because of the financial struggle nationwide (Sharper Image, Disney, even Coldstone filed for bankruptcy protection.) It's not a problem with the center itself. IMO Zona is in an ideal location, with much potential and it's going to stay strong.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

drramos101 wrote: Every shopping center in the KC metro is struggling right now. Just look at how many places in the Legends that have closed with only a couple years of being open. I think that Zona Rosa will struggle, but I believe it will survive, no doubt about it. It's the only destination shopping center in the northland and serves a lot of area. I think JOCO will hurt the most because it has many shopping centers competing with each other. You have Town Center, OP Mall. Not to mention all of the shopping centers going up ( Corbin Park, Park Place, One Nineteen, Prairiefire, etc.) You have to think, many of the places have closed because of the financial struggle nationwide (Sharper Image, Disney, even Coldstone filed for bankruptcy protection.) It's not a problem with the center itself. IMO Zona is in an ideal location, with much potential and it's going to stay strong.
Overdevelopment and greed is part of this problem.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

drramos101 wrote: Every shopping center in the KC metro is struggling right now.
Really?  Zona Rosa seems fine to me.  The loss of two stores does not mean it's struggling.  And the regional shopping centers seem to be thriving - Country Club Plaza, Independence Center, Oak Park Mall.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

It's more than a couple of stores closing at ZR.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

In a KC Star article, Steiner stated that they will have the Majestic space leased by fall and that there are plans for a new theater concept for phase II. Why would they want a new theater when the first one failed? I'm thinking that the new theater concept might be iPic. It's a similar concept, with a lucky strike type of lounge bowling ally, with a movie theater, restuarant, bar, etc. Pretty cool. It's a concept that is currently one of Steiners developments and in the process of opening another location in another one of Steiner's developments.

www.ipic.com
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

drramos101 wrote: In a KC Star article, Steiner stated that they will have the Majestic space leased by fall and that there are plans for a new theater concept for phase II. Why would they want a new theater when the first one failed? I'm thinking that the new theater concept might be iPic. It's a similar concept, with a lucky strike type of lounge bowling ally, with a movie theater, restuarant, bar, etc. Pretty cool. It's a concept that is currently one of Steiners developments and in the process of opening another location in another one of Steiner's developments.

www.ipic.com
It sounds like it'd be a good fit
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

PB&J Restaurants, the local franchisee for Red Robin Gourmet Burgers & Spirits, is in final negotiations to open a location in the Northland’s Zona Rosa — perhaps in November.
Corbin Park is a Lifestyle Center look what it's got National Chains like Zona Rosa,Town center and so on.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

They should bring IKEA to Zona Rosa