OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Post by im2kull »

JDluu wrote: I found this when I was searching for some information on Zona Rosa. Has anyone seen this before and can anybody shed some light on whether this is authentic or not?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bfs/295216561.html
"3D model of original concept zona rosa phase II"

Image Image
OH OH OH...I KNOW..I KNOW...PICK ME!!!

Anyways,
Yes...That is authentic..the model anyways.  The design has changed.  That is the ORIGINAL Phase II plan, its outdated...hince the reason Steiners was getting rid of it (They needed the room for the NEW model) Just an fyi :-) That model cost them something like 80,000 to build, and was given away free.  Unfortunately I was working and was second on the list, and someone else got to it before me.  The nice lady at Steiners let me know all about it though, and the person who picked it up was named "Kevin" Any guesses????
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Looks tasty.  I wonder if that's buttercream frosting.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCMax wrote: What is this? A shopping district for ants? It needs to be at least three times this size!
Zoolander quotes will get you nowhere.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Nowhere but here!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Committee supports public financing for Zona Rosa

A Kansas City Council committee on Wednesday reversed an advisory board's recommendation and endorsed public funding for road improvements serving an expansion of the Zona Rosa shopping center in Platte County.

The endorsement came after Steiner + Associates, Zona Rosa's developer, pledged to cover financing shortfalls for the roads. Construction costs are to be paid with sales taxes generated by the center's second phase, which is to include a Dillard's department store that will replace one in the Metro North shopping center.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants and phase II)

Post by justin8216 »

I see they have announced a couple new tenants where is this Old Navy relocating from? I thought Old Navy was struggling recently, so why open a new store?

A 20,000-square-foot Old Navy will be built at one of the shopping center-anchored development's main intersections, Zona Rosa said in a release Tuesday. Old Navy, which has 12 area locations, will move its store at 8321 N.W. Roanridge Road to Zona Rosa.

Charlotte Russe
Marshmallow Kisses
General Nutrition Center; Healthy Home Store, a locally owned and operated retailer that offers hypoallergenic merchandise; and Massage Envy
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

The one by AMC on Barry Road is closing down. Exact same thing Barnes and Noble did.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

justin8216 wrote: I see they have announced a couple new tenants where is this Old Navy relocating from? I thought Old Navy was struggling recently, so why open a new store?

A 20,000-square-foot Old Navy will be built at one of the shopping center-anchored development's main intersections, Zona Rosa said in a release Tuesday. Old Navy, which has 12 area locations, will move its store at 8321 N.W. Roanridge Road to Zona Rosa.

Charlotte Russe
Marshmallow Kisses
General Nutrition Center; Healthy Home Store, a locally owned and operated retailer that offers hypoallergenic merchandise; and Massage Envy
I saw that too.  I'm guessing the Old Navy by the BarryWoods24 is the one moving.  Barnes and Noble did the same thing.

Apparently Old Navy isn't hurting too bad if they can afford to move to a place that probably has a much higher lease rate.  Personally, I don't like it.  I don't have a problem with Old Navy but I was hoping for something better to be announced in Zona Rosa.  It's been said many times that Zona Rosa ain't the Plaza.  That opinion was reinforced with these latest announcements.  Oh well, can't win'em all.
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

Thrillcekr wrote: I saw that too.  I'm guessing the Old Navy by the BarryWoods24 is the one moving.  Barnes and Noble did the same thing.

Apparently Old Navy isn't hurting too bad if they can afford to move to a place that probably has a much higher lease rate.  Personally, I don't like it.  I don't have a problem with Old Navy but I was hoping for something better to be announced in Zona Rosa.  It's been said many times that Zona Rosa ain't the Plaza.  That opinion was reinforced with these latest announcements.  Oh well, can't win'em all.
This isn't the first Old Navy that has moved here in the Kansas City area.  The first Kansas City area Old Navy location at 91st and Metcalf moved a couple of years ago to Ward Parkway Mall.  The Barrywoods location had already been remodeled once and is one of the smaller locations in the area, which I'm sure will be remedied in the Zona Rosa location.  If you look at the other clothing retailers in Zona Rosa (American Eagle, Abercrombie, Forever 21, etc.) I think Old Navy will do just fine.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

kuwolde wrote: This isn't the first Old Navy that has moved here in the Kansas City area.  The first Kansas City area Old Navy location at 91st and Metcalf moved a couple of years ago to Ward Parkway Mall.  The Barrywoods location had already been remodeled once and is one of the smaller locations in the area, which I'm sure will be remedied in the Zona Rosa location.  If you look at the other clothing retailers in Zona Rosa (American Eagle, Abercrombie, Forever 21, etc.) I think Old Navy will do just fine.
I never said they wouldn't do fine but they're doing fine where they are right now.  I just said I didn't want to see them in Zona Rosa. 

We already have plenty of clothing retailers there as you said and there's a three story Dillards going in that will add even more.  I'd prefer something more unique to the area that fills a need for the residents of the area. 

I think it's stupid just to move two blocks down the street.  That building is what?  Eight years old or so?  It's not like the walls are crumbling.  Cars are always bumper to bumper coming out of that area too so it's not like it's a bad location.  I don't want to see another situation like the one created when Dick's Sporting Goods moved just for the sake of moving to the latest hot spot where you have a basically new building sitting vacant for a long period of time.  That type of thing is occurring too often these days and it's becoming a pet peeve of mine.

Smaller location?  It looks to be just about as big as any of the others I've been in but I admit I didn't break out my tape measure so I'll take your word for it.  You seem to know your stuff when it comes to Old Navy.  I do know that there's plenty of underutilized space in there.  They don't make good use of their vertical space at all.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start a debate.  Just expressing my opinion about it. 
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

Thrillcekr wrote: I never said they wouldn't do fine but they're doing fine where they are right now.  I just said I didn't want to see them in Zona Rosa. 

We already have plenty of clothing retailers there as you said and there's a three story Dillards going in that will add even more.  I'd prefer something more unique to the area that fills a need for the residents of the area. 

I think it's stupid just to move two blocks down the street.  That building is what?  Eight years old or so?  It's not like the walls are crumbling.  Cars are always bumper to bumper coming out of that area too so it's not like it's a bad location.  I don't want to see another situation like the one created when Dick's Sporting Goods moved just for the sake of moving to the latest hot spot where you have a basically new building sitting vacant for a long period of time.  That type of thing is occurring too often these days and it's becoming a pet peeve of mine.

Smaller location?  It looks to be just about as big as any of the others I've been in but I admit I didn't break out my tape measure so I'll take your word for it.  You seem to know your stuff when it comes to Old Navy.  I do know that there's plenty of underutilized space in there.  They don't make good use of their vertical space at all.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start a debate.  Just expressing my opinion about it. 

I worked for Old Navy for 6 years, 2 of those years being at the Barrywoods location.
:mrgreen:

I can tell you that the reason why they probably want out of Barrywoods is as much about the location as it is getting a larger, newer store.  Barrywoods is one of the biggest clusterf**ks of any retail location that I've ever worked or shopped at.  The parking lot was not well planned out plus on the weekends it is next to impossible to come and go because of the movie theater.  The extra traffic that AMC brings in on the weekends does not help out sales as much as you might think too.  Most people are in there just killing time before their movie starts but not buying.

You are right about the more unique stores into Zona Rosa the better, but I think that having Old Navy in there will do nothing but strengthen it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Festa Italiana leaving Crown Center for Zona Rosa

Arrivederci, rowdy rocker boyz. Welcome to Zona Rosa …

Festa Italiana, the Cowtown’s annual celebration of “family, fun, food and Italian culture,” is leaving Crown Center and headed to the Northland.

“You know we revived the Easter Parade, we brought the holiday crowns back and they contacted us about coming to Zona Rosa,” says Rosemary Salerno, general manager at Zona Rosa. “We’re excited about it.”

The three-day schmooze goes down June 8, 9 and 10.

Reason for the switcheroo from downtown?

“I don’t know, specifically,” Salerno says. “I know last year during their event there was the big Rockfest at Liberty Memorial and there were a lot of issues with parking.”

Bingo!

“Oh, yeah, it did take away from our festival,” says Festa organizer Joe Nastasi. “I can’t say we had any rumbles, but some of them did try to come into our festival, you know, ‘Like, we’re here; let’s go to this place, too.’ But we didn’t have any situations where we had to call security.”

Like last year, Rockfest 2007 goes down on Saturday, June 9, with “15 bands, 2 stages and 12 hours of nonstop rock.”

“They advertise it as the largest outdoor concert in the Midwest,” says longtime Rockfest attendee Craig Glazer. “It’s kind of a baby Woodstock.”

How does the Rockfest crowd stack up against the family-friendly folks at Festa Italiana?

“It’s very similar to a Chiefs crowd,” Glazer says of the Rockfesters. “But as the evening progresses and the bigger bands hit the stage, the T-shirts start getting a little looser and it gets a little wilder. I think this year Rockfest is planning on drawing 40,000 people.”

Festa Italiana may get a little wilder, too, although the T-shirts will likely be staying on.

Zona Rosa will host its first ever fireworks show that Friday. Plus the usual $5 Festa Italiana cover charge is going away because Zona Rosa doesn’t charge for its promotions. And Jasper’s chef J.J. Mirabile will be cooking up a storm on his live radio show on KCMO 710 AM Saturday morning from Zona Rosa’s town square.

We’ll see if any T-shirts come off for that one.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCJason
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCJason »

Was out at ZR this weekend and noticed that Marshmallow Kisses is now open.  Also more dirt was being moved for phase II.
Check out my new blog at http://kcnorthland.blogspot.com
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Well, since most of the city's Italian-American community moved to the Northland decades ago, perhaps it makes sense to move this festival north as well. They are just exchanging one bland shopping mall for another.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

No tenants, beyond Dillard’s, have been announced for the second phase, Salerno said. But some of them, she said, will be targeted at female shoppers older than 25...“Restaurants have been the real impact of the first phase,” he said. “The retail has been OK but hasn’t knocked your socks off in terms of its diversity and numbers. With the second phase, Zona Rosa as a retail destination will start coming more into play.”
Star article...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Zona Rosa picks Copaken as office leasing agent
The Northland development's second phase, under construction, will deliver about 44,000 square feet of offices and 400,000 square feet of retail.

Copaken White & Blitt replaces CB Richard Ellis Group Inc. at Zona Rosa.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Joyce Smith: Zona Rosa construction
Zona Rosa has started construction on its second phase, which is north of the shopping center at Barry Road and Interstate 29. Dillard’s will open a 200,000-square-foot, three-level store in late fall 2008. A 100-room hotel also is planned.

The $150 million expansion will nearly double the size of the center to about 1 million square feet.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

White House Black Market is the first tenant I found other than dillards that are going to be in phase ii so far.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

drramos101 wrote: White House Black Market is the first tenant I found other than dillards that are going to be in phase ii so far.
I wonder if Chico's will jump ship from Boardwalk as WHBM and Chico's usually locate in the same center as they are one company.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

I think they might be owned by the same company. I found a pdf on the steiner website about phase 2 and it has logos of some brands and it shows WHBM and Chicos.