Page 8 of 8

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:28 pm
by chingon
So are Grain elevators no longer in demand? What replaced them?


Ag. commodities trading, hedge funds, grain futures, global industrial agriculture, surplus grain exports trade agreements, etc.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:08 pm
by shinatoo
chingon wrote:Ag. commodities trading, hedge funds, grain futures, global industrial agriculture, surplus grain exports trade agreements, etc.


None of those things actually store grain. Are you saying efficiencies from these players have reduced the need for storage? 

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:17 pm
by DaveKCMO
they need a sheltered transit center (perhaps at burlington & armour) that could serve as a single stop for all of the bus routes that pass through NKC. they already have bus lanes.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:09 pm
by FangKC
Fire destroys building near Armour and Swift

http://www.kmbc.com/article/careless-sm ... y/20633006

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm
by scooterj
FangKC wrote:Fire destroys building near Armour and Swift

http://www.kmbc.com/article/careless-sm ... y/20633006

I'm surprised it took so long for this to get mentioned here. They've already started tearing down the shell, from what I heard a little while ago it's almost gone. I hope the huge scar isn't left here too long.

On another note, I just noticed that I started this thread way back in 2004. It's mind boggling to think of how much of what NKC is known for didn't even exist in 2004.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:36 pm
by FangKC
I hope they have insurance that will pay to replace the building.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:41 pm
by KCLover
I think this may be the time to introduce some residential into downtown NKC. Especially in that area with CVS across the street, a few breweries a block away, the nearby restaurants, etc. I think an apartment building similar to 1914 Main would do quite well there with ground level retail of course.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 pm
by scooterj
KCLover wrote:I think this may be the time to introduce some residential into downtown NKC. Especially in that area with CVS across the street, a few breweries a block away, the nearby restaurants, etc. I think an apartment building similar to 1914 Main would do quite well there with ground level retail of course.
There was a rumor a while back of a plan (that I think died) to build a garage with apartments on top on the city parking lot at 18th & Swift. This corner might be even better for such an idea.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:21 pm
by FangKC
I agree.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:11 pm
by flyingember
KCLover wrote:I think this may be the time to introduce some residential into downtown NKC. Especially in that area with CVS across the street, a few breweries a block away, the nearby restaurants, etc. I think an apartment building similar to 1914 Main would do quite well there with ground level retail of course.
Downtown NKC already has residential inside it.

Their downtown area is Burlington, 21st, Howell and where 17th would be
I count dozens of residences a block or less from Armour, one is a multi-story apartment building

If you've been through NKC as much as I have, the best place to put a mixed use building is along 18th between Burlington and Howell.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 pm
by KCLover
flyingember wrote: Downtown NKC already has residential inside it.

Their downtown area is Burlington, 21st, Howell and where 17th would be
I count dozens of residences a block or less from Armour, one is a multi-story apartment building

If you've been through NKC as much as I have, the best place to put a mixed use building is along 18th between Burlington and Howell.
I agree and I more or less meant along the main drag (Armour Rd). There is no residential on that stretch of Armour except for Park Lofts (old Sears warehouse). I just think a nice, modern apartment building on the actual main drag and across from CVS would do well.

18th would also be great for some larger projects and to bring more constant activity south of Armour. I'd imagine the area of breweries and taverns around Chicken N Pickle would enjoy some added residents.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:35 pm
by rxlexi
Yes there is obviously a fair amount of residential within NKC city limits, most impressively Northgate Village's new urbanism across from Macken Park. But there is little if any residential along Armour or Swift in/near the heart of downtown NKC, and plenty of lots and attractive old warehouse space.

Especially along Swift, it is still largely a functional light industrial zone, however. Would love to see increased residential along Swift. Super close to downtown! Skyline views from the roof! Finally a nice selection of bars, restaurants, neighborhood amenities!

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 am
by scooterj
New welcome arch sign going up on Armour tomorrow. This explains the odd curb bumpouts they installed last month at Armour & Buchanan that didn't seem serve any useful purpose.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/no ... d-saturday

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:29 pm
by DaveKCMO
scooterj wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 am
New welcome arch sign going up on Armour tomorrow. This explains the odd curb bumpouts they installed last month at Armour & Buchanan that didn't seem serve any useful purpose.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/no ... d-saturday
Image

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 pm
by UrbanKC
DaveKCMO wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:29 pm
scooterj wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 am
New welcome arch sign going up on Armour tomorrow. This explains the odd curb bumpouts they installed last month at Armour & Buchanan that didn't seem serve any useful purpose.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/no ... d-saturday
Image
Isn't that nice, they even have a little welcome arch for the smurfs & fairies who come to visit...

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am
by bobbyhawks
"No one knows, who they were, or what they were doing."

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:28 pm
by flyingember
If you haven't been by to see it, the sign is huge.

Re: North Kansas City

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 pm
by moderne
I like the mini model sitting on the median. It looks like a boot scraper.