Shoal Creek Valley Neighborhood Plan

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Shoal Creek Valley Neighborhood Plan

Post by SWFan »

Looks like they have plans to put in a bunch of residential in a large chunk of farmland bounded by Shoal Creek Parkway, Flintlock, 76th Street, and MO-152.

http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/27212

We live near that area and I've always wondered why there was farmland nestled there as well as across Shoal Creek to the west when developments are springing up miles to the north.
Slobberknockers
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Shoal Creek Valley Neighborhood Plan

Post by Slobberknockers »

You put that many houses there and there better be a plan to help with traffic on 152, it's already a mess now IMO.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Slobberknockers wrote:You put that many houses there and there better be a plan to help with traffic on 152, it's already a mess now IMO.
There's no fix, this will be the third major round of road widening and reconfiguration over I-35. I lived in Liberty during the first one and remember when walmart moved into Kansas City. At the pace of growth the newest bridge project will help for no more than 10 years, probably less.

Need to add public transit and reduce the space for cars to help with traffic.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

SWFan wrote:Looks like they have plans to put in a bunch of residential in a large chunk of farmland bounded by Shoal Creek Parkway, Flintlock, 76th Street, and MO-152.

http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/27212

We live near that area and I've always wondered why there was farmland nestled there as well as across Shoal Creek to the west when developments are springing up miles to the north.
My guess is that the large parcel in question was long-time family farm and the owners were reluctant to sell for emotional reasons. What finally happens is the primary title holder goes into a nursing home, or dies, and the heirs, who might not even live in the area any longer sell off the land for a big payout.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Land is being cleared at 108th and Eastern Ave. also. Can someone find the sight plan? Although most of this traffic will probably use 435.

Tree clearing east of Eastern Ave. south of 108th too. Lots of new houses going up north of mo152.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Nothing too exciting, appears that there will be an additional village ("11th plat') smaller footprint villa style neighborhood at NE 82nd and N Booth submitted for permits. Note the alleyway elevations are included within the plans.

http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/30094

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish these new neighborhoods connected more streets, so one doesn't get caught in these cul-de-sac gulags that force people to drive out of the way just to get over to the next street. I'm surprised the fire/emergency and police departments don't intervene with the city council and tell them how these types of neighborhood plans delay response times. It's also ridiculous that kids can't ride their bikes to visit their friends without four times the riding than needed. My sister used to drive her kid to her friends' houses instead of letting her walk or bike because of this lack of connecting streets. All these subdivisions have kids that go to school together, but their interactions are blocked by lack of connecting streets and wooded ravines.

I'm so glad I live in the part of the city that has a traditional street grid.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:02 pm I wish these new neighborhoods connected more streets, so one doesn't get caught in these cul-de-sac gulags that force people to drive out of the way just to get over to the next street. I'm surprised the fire/emergency and police departments don't intervene with the city council and tell them how these types of neighborhood plans delay response times. It's also ridiculous that kids can't ride their bikes to visit their friends without four times the riding than needed. My sister used to drive her kid to her friends' houses instead of letting her walk or bike because of this lack of connecting streets. All these subdivisions have kids that go to school together, but their interactions are blocked by lack of connecting streets and wooded ravines.

Hah... I once got myself lost in this particular circle of Hell for a good 10-15 minutes or so after leaving a friend's house. My phone had fallen between the seats, I eventually gave up and had to pull over and dig my phone out so that Waze could lead me out of there.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

scooterj wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:04 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:02 pm I wish these new neighborhoods connected more streets, so one doesn't get caught in these cul-de-sac gulags that force people to drive out of the way just to get over to the next street. I'm surprised the fire/emergency and police departments don't intervene with the city council and tell them how these types of neighborhood plans delay response times. It's also ridiculous that kids can't ride their bikes to visit their friends without four times the riding than needed. My sister used to drive her kid to her friends' houses instead of letting her walk or bike because of this lack of connecting streets. All these subdivisions have kids that go to school together, but their interactions are blocked by lack of connecting streets and wooded ravines.

Hah... I once got myself lost in this particular circle of Hell for a good 10-15 minutes or so after leaving a friend's house. My phone had fallen between the seats, I eventually gave up and had to pull over and dig my phone out so that Waze could lead me out of there.
Completely agree, that neighborhood is a labyrinth. If we are talking suburban neighborhoods, I at least appreciate the straightforward layout like Staley or something like Riss Lake with a clear main road and then dead end streets branching off.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The design of that hell neighborhood is actually ingenious. The overwhelming majority of the neighborhood has to make more than three turns, one into/out of the neighborhood and two inside it.

It's horrible for guests who don't know the neighborhood.

And because there's no through streets it limits total traffic by any given house. It's designed so most drivers are encouraged to learn the best entrance rather than picking the closest one and using it as a through street
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Additional Neighborhood "Eagle Point Preserve" in Shoal Creek Valley and smaller strip mall and office development.

Roads look about complete when I drove by, I would say foundations should start going in when it thaws. All treed lots that are golf course facing look to be spoken for.

Photos from Davidson Farm - Shoal Creek Pkway and Soccer Dr/76th st.

Last edited by alejandro46 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The outer Johnson County of Kansas City North. So KC can compete for people who want to or will only live like this.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:14 pm The outer Johnson County of Kansas City North. So KC can compete for people who want to or will only live like this.
Inner Johnson County

It’s closer than Oak Park Mall is to downtown.

For comparison, Smithville is about the same distance as Olathe

So KC’s latest sprawl is filling in the distances from downtown JoCo did in the 1970s.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Kind of a false equivalency as Johnson County never sprawled to the north.

KC has already matched its southern and east/west sprawl.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The equivalency is not in direction or distance from DT. It is in the type of housing, lifestyle and lack of street grid.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Speaking of neighborhoods with weird paths in/out, this hidden thing off of Staley Rd:

It's barely evident anyone lives there from (what I perceive to be) the main entrance (Cypress):

Bonus dead end sidewalk
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

bchociej wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:20 am Speaking of neighborhoods with weird paths in/out, this hidden thing off of Staley Rd:

It's barely evident anyone lives there from (what I perceive to be) the main entrance (Cypress)
I wonder if in the future that is supposed to be the back entrance if Shoal Creek is built out to the north.

Anyways, the street plan for that neighborhood is an absolute maze.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 pm
bchociej wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:20 am Speaking of neighborhoods with weird paths in/out, this hidden thing off of Staley Rd:

It's barely evident anyone lives there from (what I perceive to be) the main entrance (Cypress)
I wonder if in the future that is supposed to be the back entrance if Shoal Creek is built out to the north.

Anyways, the street plan for that neighborhood is an absolute maze.
Here's a tidbit about the "Pine Grove" neighborhood...or as my parents who live near there have nicknamed it, "cop-ville". The neighborhood is FULL of police officers...you can drive through and see every kind of cop car parked in front of houses; everything from KCPD, County Sheriffs, Railroad Police, and even small Northland town cops (from like Weatherby Lake/Platte Woods). It's like its own weird, little island out in the middle of nothing...
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

More elevations from "Valley View Shops" Shoal Creek in Compass. Quiktrip is first signed tenant at NE Corner of N. Booth and 152. Bottom left on this map, directly across Booth Ave. from Andy's Frozen Custard.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments

Zoom hearing tonight with neighborhood and Developer. Development seems OK to me, standard suburban mini boxes. Too much parking and would like some residential over the retail units but doubt that would ever happen.

Homesites behind development range $700k- $1m.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8689 ... 3396_zpid/
Last edited by alejandro46 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:32 pm More elevations from "Valley View Shops" Shoal Creek in Compass. Quiktrip is first signed tenant at SE Corner of N. Booth and 152.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments

Is that the wrong map? The one you posted is the NE corner of that intersection and there is available land on the SE corner