$30M MoDOT project to bring major improvements to congested Liberty interchange

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
northlander152
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

$30M MoDOT project to bring major improvements to congested Liberty interchange

Post by northlander152 »

Improvements to the I-35 and 152 Liberty interchange. Expected to be competed by 2020.

News Link:

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/-3 ... nterchange

MODOT Link:

http://www.modot.org/kansascity/major_p ... Street.htm
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: $30M MoDOT project to bring major improvements to congested Liberty interchange

Post by flyingember »

It's a crazy design. And it won't fix the biggest problems, the stop lights on both sides of I-35.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: $30M MoDOT project to bring major improvements to congested Liberty interchange

Post by bobbyhawks »

Hahaha. Classic engineering for engineering's sake maneuver. It's like they came up with a hypothesis of how an interchange could work and got so excited about their idea, they just made it happen regardless of how ridiculous it is or how confusing it will be to drivers not familiar with it.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I called this one a couple of decades ago during the last bridge replacement at that intersection. They're doing the same thing here again: Building for the past. Undersized and overused from the get go. They really pooched it when they spent a decade building the Flintlock Flyover just to forget to give the N/S access roads on either side of the interstate access to the flyover. What an idiotic waste of money and time.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

flyingember wrote:It's a crazy design. And it won't fix the biggest problems, the stop lights on both sides of I-35.
100% this. They need a flyover that eliminates the lights while on 152. Before Flintlock there would be on/off ramps to get you on side streets down below to hit the retail and housing on the west side of I-35. The first light you'd encounter traveling east bound is on the east side at 291 with on/off ramps on the east side of 35 that gets you down to side roads to access the retail/housing along there before 291.

Now, whether there is enough room to do something like that I don't know, but that seems like the only solution that would actually address the issue.

Wichita had a similar situation in their downtown. Kellogg/US-400 was express on the east and west side of downtown, then you'd hit four lights in a row. Traffic would back up in either direction. So they built a flyover, seems to have worked very well there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No one *needs* a flyover.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

#defundMODOT
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

DaveKCMO wrote:No one *needs* a flyover.
Did you ever drive on Kellogg in Wichita before the flyover? It was needed pretty badly.