I-35/Pleasant Valley Road Construction

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

I-35/Pleasant Valley Road Construction

Post by SWFan »

I noticed over the weekend there was a lot of dirt moving on the north side of Pleasant Valley Road between the north and south lanes of I-35. Is this the start of reworking the interchange? I didn't see anything on the MoDOT major projects list website.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: I-35/Pleasant Valley Road Construction

Post by flyingember »

It is. The signs showing completion in summer 2017 went up already too.

hopefully the pedestrian component stayed in the plan. modot in recent years finally recognized they can't build interchanges without any pedestrian path and not look like jerks when cities have trails end at their intersection/bridge

here's the existing thread
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19252
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I look forward to it, but I think there will still be issues if it doesn't include doing something with Pleasant Valley Road on the west side of I-35. Especially if they put the shopping center in on the Liberty side. I have a feeling that will cause an increase in traffic on PV Road and that road is barely two lanes as it is. Once you get through PV and hit the KC city limits on the west side you get a real road again.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

a wider road would create an increase in traffic because more cars could drive on it. they can't build their way out of the issue.

I looked at the city council minutes back a few meetings and they're covering things like tree trimbing in council meetings. they're looking to rebuild their fire station. I don't see them having the money for a road widening at that scale of things.

and even then, most of the one-lane segment is in Kansas City. I would imagine they would widen well before Pleasant Valley would.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

From the plans it does look like they will be at least re-doing the section of road right in front of the QT. That road is badly washboarded from all the semi traffic.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

This project is in full swing. They have the new ramp to SB well along, much of the new lanes north of Pleasant Valley Rd is paved and did some repaving of turn lanes at the intersection below.
maison rustique
Pad site
Pad site

Post by maison rustique »

If I understood the sign correctly the other day, we will be entering 35 south on the new ramp in a couple of weeks.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

New ramp opens to south I-35 on Sept. 3rd I think.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

With the ramp moved, a bunch of mainline work has been done. The pylons for the new bridge over Pleasant Valley Rd is being worked on right now
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The new bridge over PV Road is well along, it looks like the road underneath is going to four lanes.

My guess is the new bridge will be done before summer and then the work to redo southbound can begin
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

SB traffic is temporarily using the new offramp ramp and NB lanes
They're tearing out the existing SB pavement to redo that direction. Looks like they started late last week

Related work to redo the over Poe and Bryant bridges is on the second side
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Got a Nixle alert. the old SB bridge looks to be coming out March 26
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

They closed Pleasant Valley road for several months and I saw via Twitter they're close to using the new mainline SB lanes.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The redone SB mainline is open. The new NB mainline north of PV Road is being paved today

Church road is closed just before PV road because they put in a temp off ramp that uses part of Church Rd.

All the bridge work is done and barriers are being out back in. They're putting sound walls in on some segments too.

This project is nearing completion. It adds no new capacity and actually recovers land by reducing the width of the freeway envelope in one area
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Mainline traffic is on the new bridges both directions. The old bridges and dirt is coming out and they have one segment of redone mainline to repave.