New Airport (Rumor)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
ZaEry
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

New Airport (Rumor)

Post by ZaEry »

This might be the wrong form to post this on but reason why I chose this one was because this said north KC and Platte County is a northern part of the city.

Anyway I thought I heard rumors of a new KC airport being built. From what I heard that our current KC airport is not big enough for the city's size. I will say this, there may not be room to expand the current KC airport because the city has grown into the area the airport is located at.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Airport (Rumor)

Post by mean »

Yeah, we've been talking about that on this forum for almost eleven years! I don't expect you to read all 111 pages of that, of course.

Anyway, the airport people want to replace the three terminals with a single centralized terminal, which would feature significantly more revenue-capturing amenities and more pleasant bathrooms. That's basically the gist of it. The airport isn't too small for the city's size. Heck, when all three terminals were operating it was way too big! Waaaay too many gates.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

And as growth aspect, there's a TON of space near the airport. There were ideas to move the terminal to the other side of the airport and the area is so under developed we would need to build the road network to it at great expense
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

ZaEry wrote:From what I heard that our current KC airport is not big enough for the city's size. I will say this, there may not be room to expand the current KC airport because the city has grown into the area the airport is located at.
You don't fly, do you? Or go up north?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm assuming it's a younger person who may not necessarily do a lot of independent travel. Be nice. We don't want this forum to end up being a meeting place for crotchety old assholes to whine about things. Unless it already is. Is it? Shit, I don't know. I've been on here so long I've gone from being young and relevant and ambitious to old and irrelevant and jaded. Time flies, eh?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Lol, I'm pretty young to be a crotchety old asshole. But for real, why isn't there anything around the airport? Nothing wants to be near 435 in Platte County.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

as long as we're nicer than reddit, we'll be okay.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

But for real, why isn't there anything around the airport?
Johnson County
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

longviewmo wrote:Lol, I'm pretty young to be a crotchety old asshole. But for real, why isn't there anything around the airport? Nothing wants to be near 435 in Platte County.
no sewers or water. Yes, it's that simple. The rest is much quicker to put in.

Just for second creek support they ran a pipe all the way from the water works to NE Vivion and that took 6 months for the 20 block distance.

Hitting the far side of the airport will probably mean a new treatment plant
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

There has been growth on the east side of the airport and to the southeast. But yes, to the north and west it is still all farmland. As written above, I'd say infrastructure for sewer and water is probably going to prevent growth on the west side until everything builds around the airport from the east.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Of course this all goes back to the density vs new development argument but KCMO in the past mostly has waited until development is close or nearby before installing sewer and water. JoCo on the other hand has put the utilities in place to encourage development.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Of course this all goes back to the density vs new development argument but KCMO in the past mostly has waited until development is close or nearby before installing sewer and water. JoCo on the other hand has put the utilities in place to encourage development.
they also are running into major overages to run pipes. their bonding capabilities will run out at some point. modot is proof that you can't debt finance every project you want to do.