Another K-Mart Biting the Dust in the Northland

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Another K-Mart Biting the Dust in the Northland

Post by SWFan »

The Vivion/Antioch K-Mart has put out store closing signs on the building. After this one closes, we'll be left with just one K-Mart in the Northland, the one at 72nd and I-29.

Doesn't bother me as I don't shop there, but amazing that when I moved to the Northland in 2000 there were five K-Marts up here and soon there will just be one.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Another K-Mart Biting the Dust in the Northland

Post by longviewmo »

There are only two in all of Jackson County, both in Independence. They were pretty much the only retail left at Bannister Mall for a long time and they STILL couldn't make it work.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't know what KMart did so differently that kept them from competing with Walmart and Target, but what a horrible company that I wouldn't want to work for. All they do is downsize.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

AllThingsKC wrote:I don't know what KMart did so differently that kept them from competing with Walmart and Target, but what a horrible company that I wouldn't want to work for. All they do is downsize.
Just imagine being the CEO. You have to know he goes into work everyday knowing they will likely never be able to turn the ship around.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

KCATA to bring in Drake Development for mixed-use plan.
An early concept map for Drake's proposal, included in recent meeting materials for a KCATA committee, reflects a new apartment complex in place of the 113,600-square-foot Kmart location, which shut its doors at 2821 NE Vivion Road in 2014. The map also shows a two-story, 24,000-square-foot office building for workforce training use to the west and an interactive green space in place of surface parking out front.

To the east, Drake proposed a 15,000-square-foot child care building with playgrounds and a 7,000-square-foot transit station, which would relocate KCATA's nearby Antioch Crossing park-and-ride facility, according to RFQ materials. The new station would have covered passenger waiting and electric vehicle charging areas, plus a pickup station for IRIS, KCATA's on-demand ride service app, Drake's concepts show.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ce=twitter
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Super dumb to move the transit center to the Kmart location when many of the people riding the bus will be going to the Walmart across the street where the current stop is.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

also might need to think through the transit center being close to planned child care facility. Not trying to stereotype but as someone who lives & utilizes the strip center where it is located now I've seen the some of the rougher elements that use the bus to this location. I'm not sure if they have any business up here beyond something to do, panhandle, and then find a place to spend the night in an area that is relatively quiet and able to hide away out of sight in the wooded areas. At the very least they should consider the potential liability.