KCMO and NKC to ccordinate annexation and deannexation?

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

KCMO and NKC to ccordinate annexation and deannexation?

Post by flyingember »

not voted on yet but interesting

legislative # 130628
Annexing approximately 3.522 acres generally bounded by N. Oak Trafficway on the southeast, N.E. 32nd Street on the north and Burlington Street (Missouri Route 9) on the southwest, from the City of North Kansas City

Reason and Purpose for the Detachment and Annexation. That this concurrent annexation by the City of Kansas City and the detachment by North Kansas City will allow Kansas City to provide services to the property and not require two municipalities to provide services to one area, and it will place all of the Children’s Fountain area within the city limits of Kansas City, thus benefiting the citizens of both municipalities.
Detaching from the City approximately 9.130 acres generally including three properties located along the north side of N.E. 32nd Street between N. Oak Trafficway on the west and N. Holmes Street on the east and also including the north half of the N.E. 32nd Street right of way

That the reasons for and purposes to be accomplished with this detachment by the City of Kansas City are that it will allow for better coordination of utility service and better provision of services for the benefit of the citizens and property owners in the affected area.
this is a logical reason. these properties sit right between NKC and the bluff. they already owned by NKC anyways.
JaseFifty1
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: KCMO and NKC to ccordinate annexation and deannexation?

Post by JaseFifty1 »

Thanks for the info. Read the legislation history and was quite interesting. The developed properties on the north side of 32nd Street will remain in Kansas City (military surplus store, car lot, and union hall) thus making the city limit line a little busy there. I imagine that North Kansas City will work towards acquiring and annexing those properties as well. Have to start somewhere I guess.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I believe those property owners would have to petition to move between cities.

makes sense for NKC to go to the levy at that location.
JaseFifty1
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JaseFifty1 »

I think NKC is interested in expanding Macken Park into that entire area north of 32nd between Holmes and Oak as part of the redevelopment of the residential area to the south. I wouldn't be surprised to see NKC buying or attempting to buy those developed properties to further that goal.
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

I know the vacant property between the car lot and military surplus store will be converted into a dog park. NKC wanted to acquire all of the property along the north side of 32nd. From what I understand NKC had a deal in place to acquire all of the property, but the surplus building held out. NKC originally wanted to turn the area north of 32nd into a large community pool similar to Prairie Villiage.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This land swap will result in NKC getting a dog park and the Children's Fountain which is owned and operated by KC but actually situated in NKC will now be within KC city limits.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Bummer, I always selfishly hoped Northgate Village would spill over 32nd street into KCMO proper and I'd be able to move there.
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

I read the original post incorrectly. It appears the buildings along the north side of 32nd will all become NKC property. I expect this means NKC has reached a deal to acquire the property. If NKC brings its light rail/street car line up swift there will need to be some kind of park and ride along that corridor.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

you need to read the actual ordinance. because you read the original post correctly the first time. NKC and KC are working to trade the land they directly own and nothing more.

I brought up park and ride in a meeting about waterworks park and the dog park. they're building there knowing full well they may lose the spot someday. I considered that a reasonable situation, though a stupid one when there's another lot in the same area they could use
JaseFifty1
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JaseFifty1 »

NKC wrote:I read the original post incorrectly. It appears the buildings along the north side of 32nd will all become NKC property. I expect this means NKC has reached a deal to acquire the property.
The proposed annexation by NKC would only include the vacant properties that are already owned by the City of NKC. The Union lodge, car lot, and military surplus store would remain in KCMO.

Case No. 100-AN-14 includes three of the six land ownerships located north of NE 32nd Street between N Oak Trfy on the west and N Holmes Street on the east. From west to east, starting at N Oak, the ownerships include; 1. the Machinists Union Air Transport District Lodge #142 at 400 NE 32nd Street; 2. TKK Holdings LLC – which contains a used car sales lot; 3. a 4.7 acre vacant tract owned by North Kansas City and the site of the proposed dog park; 4. Bossert’s Military Sales with Service and Body Shop; 5. the second ownership by North Kansas City, a 2.1 acre vacant grass tract; and 6. The The 0.56 acre triangular vacant tract owned by the North Kansas City Levee District. At this time, the three tracts to be detached (bold) are vacant, and without improvements, except for some Kansas City utilities, to be discussed later.

Source: http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... Qy7AsXDx9X
JaseFifty1
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JaseFifty1 »

Further, the entire roadway easement of 32nd Street from North Oak to Holmes will become part of NKC. Currently, the centerline of 32nd Street is the boundary.

With this detachment, all of NE 32nd Street between N Oak Trfy on the west and N Holmes Street on the east will be within the City of North Kansas City. This includes all of the intersections of N Holmes and N Cherry Street. Due to this, following this detachment, North Kansas City will provide police, fire and emergency protection to the new area as the boundary line will have moved from the centerline of the road to the north.