The Lost Hills of Platte

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

The Lost Hills of Platte

Post by moderne »

I recently discovered a completely unkown to me section of this vast leapfrogged developed area.  It was like a land of the lost.  I went to an event in a private home in this area and got lost.  I do not know there is an official name for this area.  It is in the area between highway 9, 635, 29, and south of Parkville, Riss Lake, and whatever the intersection of 29 and 64th St. is called.  Driving the narrow densely forested hilly dangerous winding roads one would think they were miles from a major city.  Most of the homes widely spaced out there most would consider as shacks or very humble.  But now and then there is spaced out a McMansion mini horse farm.  The combo of the socioeconomics in the residences reminded me of the South.  Then I arrived at a place that looked like a tidewater planters home.  Leaving I came across an impressive gateway and shelter at the entrance to a natural area called the Green Hills of Platte, from which emenated a gravelled trail.  I was not inclined to a hike at that time but wondered about this trail, and this mostly undeveloped area. 
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: The Lost Hills of Platte

Post by slimwhitman »

Got a google or bing-maps link?
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

South of parkville is the river. Did you mean north?
Need more info. I lived in Parkville my jr. and hs. days. Traveled many of the back roads in those days.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

By south of Parkville I mean south of 45, really southeast of Parkville.  The sort of parrallelogram between State 45, State 9, I-635 and I-29.  Between the southern fringes of Riss Lake subdivision and Park Hill south. 
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Houston Lake? Lake Waukomis(east of 1-29 and north of 64th. Used to walk from Houston Lake and Metro North quite a few years ago. I agree, the area is quite a departure from other areas.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Houston Lake would be at the extreme southeast corner of this bucolic wayside.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I have some friends living in one of those new developments through there. It's peculiar to say the least.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Exactly.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
kirby310
Surface Lot

Post by kirby310 »

I believe that is the Misty Woods subdivision.
teleology
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teleology »

There are another couple of oddball semi-rural islands in that part of Platte County, as well. This one comes to mind:
http://g.co/maps/972p3
... as it's just behind the subdivision where I grew up and my mother still lives.