Elms Resort in Excelsior Springs is sold

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Elms Resort in Excelsior Springs is sold

Post by FangKC »

The Elms Resort in Excelsior Springs is sold.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... a=e_du_pub
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Elms Resort in Excelsior Springs is sold

Post by FangKC »

Photos: The Elms Resort & Spa aims to go ‘back to its original glory’

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... article_du

The Elms Resort & Spa freshens up kitchen, eyes KC patrons

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... tchen.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the core problem with the elms is far fewer people today go on vacation to go somewhere and stay there. heck, look at the movie Footloose. that was a key theme of the movie 30 years ago!

the elms would be successful in the Ozarks in the natural surroundings. In Excelsior Springs, not so much these days.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Have been to the new restaurant and it's worth the trip.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote:the core problem with the elms is far fewer people today go on vacation to go somewhere and stay there. heck, look at the movie Footloose. that was a key theme of the movie 30 years ago!

the elms would be successful in the Ozarks in the natural surroundings. In Excelsior Springs, not so much these days.
They just need to re-invent themselves. Plenty of city dwellers that are looking for a weekend escape. That's how the Texas Hill Country down here makes its living. Not a destination place but it's good for a weekend.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Has anyone been to The Elms recently? The photos on the website look nice and the menu is intriguing, but I don't want to waste my time and money for a bad experience.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Define recently, we stayed there a couple of years ago when they were in the midst of their remodel. Rooms were nice, but small. Bar was awesome, but only had breakfast. They had an art walk, had drinks and dinner at a place downtown. The bbq joint next store-ish is good. Take the plunge.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

agreed. do it!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Have not stayed there (want to - will soon!), but have been to the bar for cocktails and snacks a couple of times recently. Almost did NYE there this year. Really love the place. Beautiful hotel, lot of history. Possibly ghosts 8) . The spa is pricey but grotto area looks amazing, and there are both indoor and outdoor pools I believe.

Granted, there's not much at all around it - so go in with that in mind. The Hall of Waters down the street is an amazing building and worth the short walk, and there are a couple of cute restuarants and shops on the main drag.

I would also recommend Fence Style winery nearby, and wood-fired pizza at Van Till Farm (winery/pizza/garden).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wabash bbq in excelsior springs is quite good. perfect spot to engage in full meat-coma mode prior to luxuriating in the spa.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I'll second that on Wabash BBQ. They have some nice concerts in the summer.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

kcjak wrote:Has anyone been to The Elms recently? The photos on the website look nice and the menu is intriguing, but I don't want to waste my time and money for a bad experience.
Stayed there last summer for a wedding. Consequently was pretty busy so didn't get to do much around the hotel. I really liked the history of the hotel. I've heard there's 2-3 good local restaurants within walking distance. We had a good overall experience when we went. I've had better service and food at hotels but felt it was a solid experience. I think it's worth a visit. Just visiting with some other guests at the hotel, they get a lot of repeat visitors. My wife and some of my neighbors are big fans of the spa and make a special trip for that once or twice a year. I'd give it a shot and take the ghost tour.