More development in the Northland ...

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

More development in the Northland ...

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: More development in the Northland ...

Post by NorthlandGuy »

The interchanges at 96th and 108th are needed for the existing development west of North Oak. 169 is pretty much a limited access highway, and those two intersections are super dangerous.

It is ridiculous that the city will be installing additional infrastructure for future development. I have seen other masterplans for the area...it is planned for subdivisions and big box retail. It's so depressing. The big box center 'Barry Towne' is half empty with no Dicks, Circuit City, Linens and Things, etc.

The area just north of North Kansas City is very wooded and hilly. I don't think the contours of the land every was prime for development.

All of Southern Platte county is spread out. Its so stupid. The spine of development is I-29. There are hardly any city streets let alone a grid system of streets. I too agree infill the south suburbs first!!
Some_Guy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Some_Guy »

Really why spend 20+ million on two interchanges in farm fields just hoping on future developement to drive the area.  Is this really spending tax payer's money effectively.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Maybe it's time for urbanophiles in KC to spend more time on making sure new Northland development looks more like Shoal Creek/Zona Rosa/NKC and less time crying about the demolition of the utterly unremarkable shitshack that is 39th street Gomer's. If we -- as a culture -- insist on consuming the perpetual new-new, maybe all of us who find that distasteful should work to insure it isn't the absolute most disfunctional brand of newness.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Railroad436
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Railroad436 »

Some_Guy wrote:Really why spend 20+ million on two interchanges in farm fields just hoping on future developement to drive the area.  Is this really spending tax payer's money effectively.

I think changing those interchanges is a good investment. That area around there has been growing and those intersections are both inconvenient and dangerous. To have two traffic lights on a highway where people go 60 always seemed a little odd. I dont know that many accidents occur there but it wouldnt surprise me if they happen often.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/10/41 ... ct-to.html

KC beginning a project to put in 40 million dollars worth of sewers in NKC...It will open 13,000 acres of land for development (twice the size of gladstone) and could potentially be populated by 70,000 people some day. Located roughly from south of I-435, North of Hwy 152, b/w I-29 and hwy 169.

I've got to say I am generally against the sprawl of NKC, but I've heard the counter argument of needing to "re-center" or "re-balance" the populace of the metro around DT as a reason to be pro-NKC growth (aside from increased tax revenues) and though it is not a strong argument, it did make me think differently about my view on that growth. It is going to happen somewhere, it may as well happen w/n KC. Now, if they were doing it in a dense, mixed use manner I would absolutely be all for it, but I doubt thats what will happen. It will just be lost subdivisions.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

NKC usually means North Kansas City, a city separate from KCMO. I think you mean KCN which would be Kansas City North or Kansas City Missouri North of the river.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

there's two decent suburban models I hope KC looks at for that area

1. the mixed density design
apartment buildings, town homes and other similar denser options mixed in with classic suburban lots. take each block and zone it to a density target. Northgate Village is a good model here

2. a greener design
instead of having homes in big open fields with homes backing up to homes to look at keeping green barriers everywhere through platting control.

and there's nothing that says both models couldn't work together
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:NKC usually means North Kansas City, a city separate from KCMO. I think you mean KCN which would be Kansas City North or Kansas City Missouri North of the river.

Yep. :roll:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The MO side has to find a way to compete with suburban Kansas. While JoCo was 80% of the new economic growth of the entire metro in the 70's - 90's. Things started turning around in the 00's.

But I have seen signs of the momentum swinging back to JoCo. Northland home starts are still strong, but they are starting to loose market share to JoCo again and nobody on the MO side is competing with JoCo (or suburban WyCo) for commercial development (office parks, major retail projects (IKEA etc).

Suburbs are going to develop. Keeping that area east of KCI a big cow field is not going to help the city. Honestly developing it as sprawl will do much more than continuing to watch JoCo take over the economy of the metro. At least you will have people in KCMO, in Missouri and people that will actually want transit into the city and will be a part of regional taxes like the new Zoo tax.

While the Northland can be anti city and anti urban, it's far better than the alternative of JoCo continuing to run the show because JoCo acts as if KCMO is their enemy and will do anything to benefit JoCo no matter how much harm it does to KCMO.

It would be nice if they could build a huge master planned mixed use, walkable new urbanism community like Stapelton or something up there. But it's not likely. It's too far out there and not under one developer. Plus there is only so much market for that in KC and it should be focused to areas like the Bannister Mall area. But it would be awesome if it were to materialize that way.

Either way, KCMO needs to continue to agressively develop its northland areas. It's a double edged sword, but a necessary one.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

a lot of people don't recognize that there's undeveloped land the size of Westwood, KS within a 5 minute drive from downtown.

and there's a lot of other places that are still closer than OP is from downtown after that is developed.

it's not like KC is a massive sprawl city to the north.

this project is still inside 435, which JoCo leapfrogged decades ago.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote:The MO side has to find a way to compete with suburban Kansas. While JoCo was 80% of the new economic growth of the entire metro in the 70's - 90's. Things started turning around in the 00's.

But I have seen signs of the momentum swinging back to JoCo. Northland home starts are still strong, but they are starting to loose market share to JoCo again and nobody on the MO side is competing with JoCo (or suburban WyCo) for commercial development (office parks, major retail projects (IKEA etc).

Suburbs are going to develop. Keeping that area east of KCI a big cow field is not going to help the city. Honestly developing it as sprawl will do much more than continuing to watch JoCo take over the economy of the metro. At least you will have people in KCMO, in Missouri and people that will actually want transit into the city and will be a part of regional taxes like the new Zoo tax.

While the Northland can be anti city and anti urban, it's far better than the alternative of JoCo continuing to run the show because JoCo acts as if KCMO is their enemy and will do anything to benefit JoCo no matter how much harm it does to KCMO.

It would be nice if they could build a huge master planned mixed use, walkable new urbanism community like Stapelton or something up there. But it's not likely. It's too far out there and not under one developer. Plus there is only so much market for that in KC and it should be focused to areas like the Bannister Mall area. But it would be awesome if it were to materialize that way.

Either way, KCMO needs to continue to agressively develop its northland areas. It's a double edged sword, but a necessary one.
We're kinda shopping for houses now and we've found the market is extremely tight right now. Demand for housing has picked up again as the economy has started to recover, but no one has been building because of the perceived risk. So its been an extreme seller's market for existing housing. We've only been looking in inner-ring suburbs, and you can't keep a house on the market it seems. We had one we loved that was put on the market at midnight, and by the time we called to look at the house at noon, were told it had been bought at 8 am.

If developers start building quickly in the Northland maybe they can get a jump on JoCo. I'm not sure what new housing permits are like in JoCo right now.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hunt Midwest kicks off development in huge sewer district
It also will begin to fulfill the commitment Hunt Midwest and others made to develop projects in the First Creek and Second Creek watersheds if the city provided sewers.

Kansas City subsequently agreed to finance the $45 million project, and construction of sewers in the area north of Barry Road between Interstate 29 and U.S. Highway 169 began in April. The project is expected to lead to the addition of 21,000 homes and 70,000 residents in an area more than 2.5 times the size of the city of Gladstone.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... 7&page=all
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

One of the reasons southern JoCo developed before the northland was the fact that the county commissioners took the heat and built the sewers in what was at the time farmland and large county estates.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:One of the reasons southern JoCo developed before the northland was the fact that the county commissioners took the heat and built the sewers in what was at the time farmland and large county estates.
they're still doing this. they're paying for unexpected overages already to extend sewers out to like 190th st south

the KC equivilent would be if KC had never annexed north and Gladstone was busy expanding all the way to the northern side of Smithville Lake, having used up all the land south of it. it's a fair comparison because JoCo begins at 47th St, which is roughly where Gladstone starts north
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Gladstone actually goes all the way to river along the lines of 169 Highway.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Gladstone doesn't go all the way to the river at any point. The furthest southern border for Gladstone is around NW 43rd Terrace--north of Briarcliff Parkway/Road.

http://www.gladstone.mo.us/CommunityDev ... ds_Map.jpg