Smithville Commons

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
KC_Hams

Smithville Commons

Post by KC_Hams »

I heard that a Target was planned for this project. Anyone have any news to share?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Smithville Commons

Post by AllThingsKC »

I heard the same thing also, a while back.  But, I don't remember where I read that...
KC is the way to be!
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Li ... t006a00001

It looks like by the site plan that it might be a SuperTarget as well.  That will make a total of 4 Targets in the Northland.  3 of them SuperTargets.  That's gotta be pushing the saturation point.

1.  152 & Flintlock
2.  I-29 & 152
3.  Smithville Commons
Calling a spade a spade.
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

ShowME wrote: http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Li ... t006a00001

It looks like by the site plan that it might be a SuperTarget as well.  That will make a total of 4 Targets in the Northland.  3 of them SuperTargets.  That's gotta be pushing the saturation point.

1.  152 & Flintlock
2.  I-29 & 152
3.  Smithville Commons
Don't forget the Target at Chouteau & I-35 location (just a regular one).

I'm guessing that IF at Super Target goes to Smithville, they'll close the Barry Road & 169 locaction. That would get some good spacing between stores.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

KC_Hams wrote: Don't forget the Target at Chouteau & I-35 location (just a regular one).

I'm guessing that IF at Super Target goes to Smithville, they'll close the Barry Road & 169 locaction. That would get some good spacing between stores.
I would not see why they would plan to close the Target on Barry,  the two stores are eight or nine miles apart.  The two Super Targets in Olathe and Overland Park are only five or six miles apart.  JOCO has seven Targets with one more planned.  With all the growth in the Northland, it would not be that much of a shock to see even more planned.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Target doesn't typically find itself in the midst of third tier burbs...are you guys sure it's not wal-mart?
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Target doesn't typically find itself in the midst of third tier burbs...are you guys sure it's not wal-mart?
I'm fairly sure. I heard that Wal-Mart wanted to put a location in Smithville years ago, but was turned away by the then city leaders. The way Smithville is turning out to be, I actually think Target would be a better fit.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

169 north of 435 will be the next big box boom in the Northland.  In 3-5 years, all the typical big boxes will be up there including Walmart and Target.
bpanama
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bpanama »

KC_Hams wrote: I heard that a Target was planned for this project. Anyone have any news to share?
Hearsay.  Developer is still looking for a major tenant.  Many have expressed interest, few have gone further than that.  There will almost definitely be a new grocery.

You will see highway frontage outlots develop on this project before the big boxes though FYI.
Skrink
Surface Lot

Post by Skrink »

I just recently heard it will be a SuperTarget and an Applebee's.  This might be the same rumor, just finally trickling down to me.  I know I'm responding months later but I was wonder (being a newish Smithville resident) what the poster meant by "...the way Smithville is turning out to be..." [paraphrasing, apologies].  Does Smithville have a reputation that precedes it and its residents?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Skrink wrote: I just recently heard it will be a SuperTarget and an Applebee's.  This might be the same rumor, just finally trickling down to me.  I know I'm responding months later but I was wonder (being a newish Smithville resident) what the poster meant by "...the way Smithville is turning out to be..." [paraphrasing, apologies].  Does Smithville have a reputation that precedes it and its residents?
The allusion is that Smithville is more redneck/wal-mart than post suburb.  However in recent years there have been some high-end subdivisions that have changed the image for the better.
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

Shrink,

dangerboy described my thoughts perfectly. Smithville used to be very "small town" and extremely redneck, but that has changed quite a bit over the past 10 years.

I used to live in Smithville and have family who live there. I love Smithville and am excited to see the development move forward.
cor88b
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cor88b »

Bump

I know this is an old thread but was wondering if anyone has heard anything new with the commons? I know it went into foreclosure then sold at auction. It had realtor signs out front that it was for sale for a long time and here in the last few weeks the signs were removed.
cor88b
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cor88b »

Beyond excited that it seems like something is finally happening and it will no longer be a random sign in a field.
New Retail Center Announcement!

The Development Department is happy to announce that the City has received applications for the redevelopment of the Smithville Commons Tax Increment Financing Project. After several years of discussions and negotiations, a new developer has submitted two applications - one is a conceptual development plan that will amend the zoning on the property; and another to completely overhaul the existing TIF plan to allow for this updated development plan.

The project consists of 7 pad sites with 120,000 square feet of retail space on 18.9 acres at the Smithville Commons site. It also includes up to 15.9 acres of future development areas. The project headed by a new 70,000 square foot Price Chopper Store, and a 15,000 square foot Heritage Tractor John Deere dealer. It also includes a 12,000 square foot Hardware store, along with 4 additional building pads for restaurant/retail.

This application begins the process of re-imagining retail development in Smithville. This is the first step in the approval process, which will include meetings and hearings before the TIF Commission, the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Aldermen. Please stay tuned for more on this exciting possibility!