Armour Theater

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Armour Theater

Post by DaveKCMO »

Historic North Kansas City theatre building to be sold
Local movie theater owner Butch Rigby plans to purchase the historic Armour Theatre Building in North Kansas City.

Under an agreement approved by the North Kansas City Council, Rigby will buy the single-screen theater at 408 Armour Road and adjacent two-story properties, which are part of the theater building, for $600,000.

Rigby, operator of the Screenland Crossroads Theatre at 17th and Washington streets and owner of the Screenland Granada in Kansas City, Kan., said Wednesday that he would restore the building, which the city has owned since 2005.

He said he plans to operate a business “very similar” to the other Screenland theaters.
The development agreement calls for Rigby to receive Chapter 353 tax abatements over a 10-year period to help pay for the restoration. In order to receive such tax abatements, the North Kansas City Council would have to declare the theater property blighted and schedule a public hearing.
i say country music does indeed create blight.  :)
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Armour Theater

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Great news!  I love Rigby!

Country music is the product of the devil.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

I Was drunk, the day my ma got out of prison,
and I went to pick her up in the rain,
But before I could get to the station in my pick-up truck...

Sportster
...spawn of satan  8) :D
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

This is wonderful news.  I love North Kansas City and this will only enhance the place.  Good for Butch Rigby!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, good news indeed.

Perhaps a Screenland Grand Opera House?
There is no fifth destination.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Do you think he's really making money at these places, or is it more of a hobby thing?  I've only been to Screenland twice (and will be checking out Big Lebowski w/ white Russians served from the full bar Friday night with some friends making it three times) but it was dead empty both times.  I was half expecting it to close, and here he's opening another place...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Gretz wrote: Do you think he's really making money at these places, or is it more of a hobby thing?  I've only been to Screenland twice (and will be checking out Big Lebowski w/ white Russians served from the full bar Friday night with some friends making it three times) but it was dead empty both times.  I was half expecting it to close, and here he's opening another place...
if i had to guess, he was probably breaking even until his property taxes skyrocketed. i'm sure he sold the building (only to lease it back) to raise capital to do this NKC project. if i'm not mistaken, though, he owns other crossroads properties (black bamboo, for example) which are probably making money.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I went by there today. The marquee is gone from the building.
Belle the dog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belle the dog »

If I understand correctly, the new marquee is supposed to resemble the orginal.  I recall the marquee from the 1960s but don't know if it was original or something installed later.  The theater was cleaned up and the marquee repainted to say "Centre" however it was merely the "Armour" marquee with fresh paint.  I remember going to movies there.  It was quite nice.  Nothing so elegant as the downtown theaters (Midland, Empire, Roxy, etc.) but quite suitable for NKC (kept clean & well maintained; customers always polite).

Hope this venture is successful.  I've been to Screenland and it is well-run.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If Butch Rigby is involved in renovating this theater, it will be done well.  I doubt he makes any money with Screenland, and it's just a hobby.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if he made more money renting out space to groups than from screening films.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Gretz wrote: Do you think he's really making money at these places, or is it more of a hobby thing?  I've only been to Screenland twice (and will be checking out Big Lebowski w/ white Russians served from the full bar Friday night with some friends making it three times) but it was dead empty both times.  I was half expecting it to close, and here he's opening another place...
Holy crap! I didn't know about this. I just may see you out there tomorrow.

http://www.screenland.com/theatre/lebowski.html
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote:
i say country music does indeed create blight.  :)
'splain Branson then Lucy.
Rusty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty »

FangKC wrote: If Butch Rigby is involved in renovating this theater, it will be done well.  I doubt he makes any money with Screenland, and it's just a hobby.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if he made more money renting out space to groups than from screening films.
Every time I've gone to the one on Broadway it's been a decent crowd.  (I've been probably 15 times)

The one in KCK had abysmal attendance the one time I went, which I'm guessing is why he made that strictly a special event theatre.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

KCMax wrote: Holy crap! I didn't know about this. I just may see you out there tomorrow.

http://www.screenland.com/theatre/lebowski.html

Every last Friday they show it.  Bring it on out...
Rusty wrote: Every time I've gone to the one on Broadway it's been a decent crowd.  (I've been probably 15 times)

The one in KCK had abysmal attendance the one time I went, which I'm guessing is why he made that strictly a special event theatre.
  Maybe I've just had bad luck then, and they actually have better attendance than I witnessed.  I hope so.  It would be great if they started doing weekday showings; I almost never go to movies on weekends.  Even just that one screen running consistently could increase the entire metro's art-house screens in action, and thus the selection, significantly.  Are there really any indie/art-house places around besides the Tivoli and the Rio or whatever it is on Metcalf?
Last edited by Gretz on Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there are four "indie" theaters: tivoli (3 screens), glenwood arts (3 screens), rio (1 screen), and screenland crossroads (1 screen). this will give those north of the river a closer option.

on a side note, tivoli really needs to hand over the reigns to the landmark chain since they obviously can't afford to remodel they way they operate today. i love their selections, but it's starting to stink in there.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

I wasn't aware of Glenwood Arts.  Where are they?  Do they have a lineup similar to Tivoli, only at another location or do the show different stuff.  I love Rio's international tilt and visit it sometimes with Indian and Afghan coworkers or Francophone friends.  Agreed on both your Tivoli comments... 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Gretz wrote: I wasn't aware of Glenwood Arts.  Where are they?  Do they have a lineup similar to Tivoli, only at another location or do the show different stuff.  I love Rio's international tilt and visit it sometimes with Indian and Afghan coworkers or Francophone friends.  Agreed on both your Tivoli comments... 
glenwood info: http://www.fineartsgroup.com/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is the Screenland Granada considered an "indie" theater?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Is the Screenland Granada considered an "indie" theater?
um, there's exactly one showing this month: a sing-a-long with Grease. i guess it is technically independent, but it's definitely not a dedicated art house theater like the others.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

What would Cathy Rigby do?
Be green or go Broke Tryin'