Northland Dining...

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Northland Dining...

Post by GRID »

We have a new guy (couple) that moved to KC's Northland from out of town and are looking for some good places to eat up north.  I did my best, but I could use some help from those that live up that way.  I think they are looking for "upscale" casual type stuff so I mentioned Parkville and Briarcliff, but he says anything from Liberty to Tiffany Springs to NKC is fine since they live in the 152 corridor.

Any suggestions?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Northland Dining...

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Do they want to "see and be seen"?  If so I think I know who to ask.  :lol:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Do they want to "see and be seen"?  If so I think I know who to ask.   :lol:
Probably, but good food too.  Just a young, active couple.  Don't worry, we show them all the urban core places ;).
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I don't know the "upscale" so much, but I'd recommend Strouds, The Dish (never been, but people say it's good), The Power Plant, Smoke House BBQ (north oak or zona rosa).

And yeah, it looks like we need her help.  :)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm very fond of the italian place in zona rosa -- bravo? i've never had to wait for a table, plus they have a good wine selection and outdoor seating.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Piropos and Trezo Mare (Briarcliff)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Cascones, and Genghis Khan North.    Also I liked the Indian place in Zona Rosa though the name escapes me right now.  Madras, I think?
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Be sure to tell them about Hereford House at Zona Rosa. Their happy hour is a meal, the bartenders are awesome and it is just a fun place.

Happy Hour time at Bonefish is great too. Lots more people, a bit pretentious for our taste, but good food, nice drinks and good service.

Dinner is good at both places.

Bravo is one of my favorites. At Zona also.

Power Plant is thumbs down. I've never had a good meal there.

For pizza, Stone Canyon in Parkville has great pizza place food plus they have the balloon man on Friday nights for the kids.

For Mexican, Rancho Grande on 45 west of the National is good. They have daily specials.

Margarita's on North Oak is good also.

Cafe des Amis in Parkville is good but I haven't been there in a long time. French.

I've never been to either Piropos or Trezo, but all my friends who frequent upscale places say they both are over rated as is that one in Tuileries but I can't think of the name of it.

Where does your friend live?

More will come to me as I think of it.

Tomfooleries in Zona always has good food, but it is noisy and smells of stale smoke.

It is a beautiful night for either O'Dowd's or Gran Falloon's roofs.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

There is a Japanese knife throwing place in Parkville that has good food and service but I can't think of the name of it.

Genghis Kahn and Cascones are both good too.
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

Cascone's and Margaritas are probably my two favorites up north.  I also agree that Smokehouse is a good choice for BBQ...I prefer the Zona Rosa location to the one on North Oak.  I'm glad to hear that The Dish is still open...by far the best pizza except maybe Stone Canyon.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

For home cooking-Corner Cafe in Liberty.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Any relation to the Corner Cafe in Riverside? That place is awesome.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

mean wrote: Any relation to the Corner Cafe in Riverside? That place is awesome.
They're the same thing.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Belle the dog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belle the dog »

Cafe des Amis in Parkville is excellent.

An interesting independent restaurant is the Malay Cafe on Barry Road (not far from I-29).  It's a family owned hole-in-the-wall type of place but excellent food and generally good service.  From my perspective, it is a "must" particularly if you enjoy discovering interesting independent places.

There is another excellent independent French restaurant in Liberty.  Can't recall the name but it is off the square by a couple of blocks and is across from a woodworking place by the railroad tracks.  If someone knows of it, please advise the name.  I've been there several times and am consistently pleased.

The Elms Hotel in Excelsior Springs is typically very good to excellent.  Their dining room on the mezzanine level is superb.  Building is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Strouds is very good though I still remember Sandy's Oak Ridge Manor and everything pales in comparison to that.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

For breakfast I would say Corner Cafe in "Liberty" off 152 & Flintlock which is actually KCMO.  Since I'm a fatass I order the Big B.
Calling a spade a spade.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Also I recommend La Fuente in Kearney.  Great food and you'll be out of there in 45 minutes tops.  I think there's also one recently opened on the Liberty square.
Calling a spade a spade.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Malay Cafe is indeed excellent. It is right around the corner from Panera on Barry Road.

The French restaurant in Liberty is great too, but I can't think of the name of it either.

La Fuente is great also. Great service too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Thanks everybody, especially Nota ;).

Is that place on Barry still there?  It's on the north side of Barry around Platte Purchase I think in a big estate looking home.  I forgot what it's called and I have never been there, but it seemed upscale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

GRID wrote: Is that place on Barry still there?  It's on the north side of Barry around Platte Purchase I think in a big estate looking home.  I forgot what it's called and I have never been there, but it seemed upscale.
remington's?  something like that?  terrible, and i think it's closed.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

ShowME wrote: For breakfast I would say Corner Cafe in "Liberty" off 152 & Flintlock which is actually KCMO. 
Ginger Sue's on the Liberty Square..great new breakfast/lunch joint.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'