Northgate Village neotraditionalism in North Kansas City

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Northgate Village neotraditionalism in North Kansas City

Post by flyingember »

KCLover wrote:Do you live around here as well?
Yes, Briarcliff.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

flyingember wrote:
Yes, Briarcliff.
Oh, nice.
I'm just glad our areas are fairly progressive. I've been watching the senior apartments go up in NKC and along 9 hwy in Briarcliff as well.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCLover wrote:
flyingember wrote:
Yes, Briarcliff.
Oh, nice.
I'm just glad our areas are fairly progressive. I've been watching the senior apartments go up in NKC and along 9 hwy in Briarcliff as well.
progressive? not so much.

Briarcliff is the neighborhood that threw a fit over bike paths.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

flyingember wrote:
KCLover wrote:
flyingember wrote: progressive? not so much.

Briarcliff is the neighborhood that threw a fit over bike paths.
Oh I didn't know about that. Well NKC wants in on the trolley so maybe that evens it out :lol:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCLover wrote: Oh I didn't know about that. Well NKC wants in on the trolley so maybe that evens it out :lol:
Northgate Village will look even more affordable for families without cars. They're a little high for NKC otherwise. I expect NKC will vote yes for transit again, especially if there's any noticeable increase in downtown kc development with the streetcar.

I've said it a bunch of times, but looking at the streetcar corridors, NKC is a key piece to the big picture. They're the blue collar jobs center that's the easiest to get to with the line. The system will never be crazy successful if it just connects people to jobs you need a degree to have or are low paying service jobs. Adding the third type of job is crazy important to the system's success. There's over 1 million square feet of available industrial space inside NKC. That's the kind of pairing that drives residential along the line.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

flyingember wrote:this is back under construction finally

two lots are now being excavated
in the past year they finished 4 homes and this spring started in on three more plus put up signs to sell more, a bunch of lots are sold and ready for construction

several row homes went for sale and at least one sold
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

32nd St is getting a road diet, probably for the homes along it. There's a new bump out at Howell and one with a drainage gap near Swift on the south side.

So 32nd is losing 1/3 of it's driving width.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I rode my bike through that area a couple weeks ago and was fairly impressed. It's hard to think of many other places in the metro that are doing urban design infill of that quality. They're not 100% perfect, but it's a darn sight better than McMansions on a culdesac in the middle of a dead octopus off of a 6-lane traffic sewer. Of course, I may be selling them short since a mature tree canopy is one of the things that gives a Midtown neighborhood its close-in feel and these streets do not have that yet.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the homes continue to pop up.

the parking on 32nd failed in one thing, they stupidly put spots in front of a fire hydrant. that's illegal
but the new planters at both ends of the parking row have landscaping. a great way to show people the lane shifts over
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice to see this project getting built out. Now if the rest of NKC could ever get going. It seems like NKC's riverfront and other under developed industrial and residential areas are prime areas for urban mixed use infill. NKC could be a thriving urban oasis across the river from the city.

Although none of that will happen till KC develops the rivers for recreational use (both sides with proper river crossings).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Although none of that will happen till KC develops the rivers for recreational use (both sides with proper river crossings).
Actually, the seperated bike/ped crossing on MO 9 (Heart of America bridge) is well done and seemingly well-used. It would be nice if we could hurry up and get some associated trail infrastructure in NKC (connect the bridge path to, say, Macken Park with a well-lit path) and along the river on both north and south sides to encourage more recreational use.

I can't believe the Riverfront Heritage Trail, to the best of my knowledge, is still incomplete (aka missing the bridge that should connect the western downtown bluffs with the the west bottoms portion of trail), and further can't believe that we don't have bike/ped access along the side of the river levees. The Missouri is just depressingly out-of-sight, out-of-mind in this city, really hoping that changes.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

rxlexi wrote:
Actually, the seperated bike/ped crossing on MO 9 (Heart of America bridge) is well done and seemingly well-used. It would be nice if we could hurry up and get some associated trail infrastructure in NKC (connect the bridge path to, say, Macken Park with a well-lit path) and along the river on both north and south sides to encourage more recreational use.

I can't believe the Riverfront Heritage Trail, to the best of my knowledge, is still incomplete (aka missing the bridge that should connect the western downtown bluffs with the the west bottoms portion of trail), and further can't believe that we don't have bike/ped access along the side of the river levees. The Missouri is just depressingly out-of-sight, out-of-mind in this city, really hoping that changes.
most of what you mention needs funding. one of the guys whose job it is to get trail funding pointed out his general funding is shared with building sidewalks to elementary schools.

the heritage trail actually claims that piece you mention is under construction/planned to construct. granted this is before the overbuilt ADA part of another segment on that map derailed it. you can see another segment on the levee going further east that's planned
http://kcrivertrails.org/trail.htm

the NKC trail connects to Macken Park almost. there's sharrows the length of Swift from 10th to 32nd with a branch towards the bridge and maintaining bike use was actually a concern with the streetcar project and that street. it justs needs to be upgraded to a true bike lane. the residential portion of the corridor has the space for one
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The single family homes in this development are nearing completion.

Last I heard they were rethinking the row homes and were going to finish them after the current work is done.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://www.lane4group.com/wp-content/up ... chure7.pdf 2 more Sold Sites by Ruby Tuesdays what do you hope goes on them?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I hope that one of them is senior apartments, seeing as they're under construction RIGHT NOW

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19965
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

To small the lands.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:To small the lands.
too small for what? the project under construction right now?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

mgsports wrote:To small the lands.
I'm interpreting this as ancient folk wisdom.
Last edited by Eon Blue on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Maybe Fast Food,Drug Store or so on.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Maybe Fast Food,Drug Store or so on.
then again, maybe not