Staley Update

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Staley Update

Post by Thrillcekr »

Since I think we have some members on here whose kids will be attending the new Staley High School when it opens I thought they might be interested in this.  It's a recent video showing where they are with the construction of this new high school.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DG
mostate
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Staley Update

Post by mostate »

Recent aerial pics...pretty impressive!

Go Falcons!

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I am amazed at the amount of land that high schools consume these days!  You could build an entire mixed-use neighborhood in that same amount of land.

Is it really necessary for every school to an entire complement of sports facilities? Why not share some of that with other schools in the district or with city's Parks & Rec department?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Very true.  I think one reason might be that with all the handicap accessibility rules, most schools are sprawling rather than stately 4 story rectangles like they used to be.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

dangerboy wrote: Is it really necessary for every school to an entire complement of sports facilities? Why not share some of that with other schools in the district or with city's Parks & Rec department?
if i'm not mistaken.. those are the nkc district facilities.
mostate
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mostate »

[quote="dangerboy"]
I am amazed at the amount of land that high schools consume these days!  You could build an entire mixed-use neighborhood in that same amount of land.

NKCSD is building another elementary school (Bell Pointe) on this land.  It's scheduled to open in Fall 2009.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

where is this?
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

MidWestSider wrote: if i'm not mistaken.. those are the nkc district facilities.
You are correct.
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

MidWestSider wrote: if i'm not mistaken.. those are the nkc district facilities.
The football stadium will become the home for Staley as well as Oak Park.  NKC and Winnetonka will continue to use the district stadium in Northtown.  The field at NKC is also now going to be field turf...something they should have done a long time ago.  I'm pretty sure that the football field is the only field which will be used by Oak Park because they have their own baseball, softball, and soccer field on their campus.
mostate
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mostate »

kuwolde wrote: The football stadium will become the home for Staley as well as Oak Park.  NKC and Winnetonka will continue to use the district stadium in Northtown.  The field at NKC is also now going to be field turf...something they should have done a long time ago.  I'm pretty sure that the football field is the only field which will be used by Oak Park because they have their own baseball, softball, and soccer field on their campus.
I bet Oak Park will use all fields at Staley at some point as they don't have lights at their own fields.
mostate
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mostate »

chrizow wrote: where is this?
2800 N.E. Shoal Creek Pkwy, which is about 4 miles north of Maple Woods Community College.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

is that a pond to the right of the 1st and 3rd picture.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

chrizow wrote: where is this?
I KCMO up towards the northeast corner of the I-435 loop.  Adjacent to the Staley Farms sprawldivision and golf course, east of North Oak and north of 152 Hwy.

map here
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

kuwolde wrote: The football stadium will become the home for Staley as well as Oak Park.  NKC and Winnetonka will continue to use the district stadium in Northtown.  The field at NKC is also now going to be field turf...something they should have done a long time ago.  I'm pretty sure that the football field is the only field which will be used by Oak Park because they have their own baseball, softball, and soccer field on their campus.
The district stadium in Northtown is already field turf and has been for a while.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

MidWestSider wrote: is that a pond to the right of the 1st and 3rd picture.
yeah, not very uncommon for new high schools.
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: The district stadium in Northtown is already field turf and has been for a while.
I forgot that they played on the turf this fall for the first time.
](*,)

I remember a couple of times when I was going to school at Northtown that they would have that field torn up after a week of games played on a muddy field.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

kuwolde wrote:
I remember a couple of times when I was going to school at Northtown that they would have that field torn up after a week of games played on a muddy field.
Haha, definitely. I went to Oak Park, so I have many fond memories of that field.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Typical new suburbia high school.  The landscape is dotted with athletic fields but no one has any clue where the library is. :puke:
Calling a spade a spade.
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

dangerboy wrote: I am amazed at the amount of land that high schools consume these days!  You could build an entire mixed-use neighborhood in that same amount of land.

Is it really necessary for every school to an entire complement of sports facilities? Why not share some of that with other schools in the district or with city's Parks & Rec department?
I attended Cherry Creek High School in Englewood, CO and this school was enormous, with multiple buildings and athletic fields, set on an 80-acre, campus like environment.  The sports facilities were shared by other schools in the Cherry Creek School District.

http://maps.google.com/?sll=39.63028,-1 ... =0.05,0.05

I am not sure the attendance at Staley HS or other large high schools in the area, but my high school had between 3000-4000 attending, with graduating classes of 800-1000.
Last edited by BigBill33 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

Staley will open with only freshman through junior its first year. It will have 850 students it's first year and its second year with 1500 with seniors. The school is on a total area of 233 Acres with 2 large streams, 3 lakes, and a large green space preserved to achieve their LEED certification. Staley's athletic teams will wear Under Armour's brand on all sports jerseys due to an endorsement deal with Under Armour. It is 306,000 sq ft+. 314,000+ after phase 2 expansion.