One North Development

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

One North Development

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Had no clue about this development. Seems promising but its odd they would put 2 Westins at that location.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 71109.html

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 51964.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: One North Development

Post by flyingember »

They have 11 brands. There’s the building downtown that is two hotels in one so it’s not that weird.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Looking at the overhead drawing... that is a lot of parking. Disappointing.

I really hope that they make the 16th ave intersection decent for cyclists- if they do then NKC becomes way more bikeable, if they don't then the cycletrack they built is kind of a waste.

Also- Hey look, a grocery store! Fingers crossed for a Trader Joe's. That would be worth riding a bike over there for.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have a question. I follow development in lots of places across the country and one thing I have noticed about KC is they totally overuse the term "mixed use". Every single suburban development proposed in metro KC is somehow considered "mixed use" when in reality, VERY few of them actually are. This is not a mixed use project. It's not transit friendly or walkable either. It's the same freaking suburban sprawl that has been occurring in America since the 1950's. There is nothing "mixed use" about this or 90% of the other site plans I see in the KC area that call themselves mixed use.

This project might have a few unique tenants. Great. Stop calling it mixed use though. Thanks for letting me vent!
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Yeah, no one is going to walk here. Bike maybe, but not walk. And the grocery store is on the other side of the development from the apartments! And just look at the parking to building ratio on lot 10!

What are the rules for preemptively submitting developments for the streetsblog parking madness bracket, I wonder?
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/03/12/ ... g-craters/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

People won't walk based on that map? That's the same distance as from Iron to Ozark and it's perfectly flat with no intersections. That's going to be one of the easiest walks in the region.

I also wonder what the gravel road bed is for, it's not on that map. Construction access???

the map on page 8 seems to be slightly newer
http://www.nkc.org/common/pages/Display ... d=12540706
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

I mean, some will- It just won't be pleasant because of all the parking lots and the unhindered view of the freeway. And intersections are probably better than suburban shopping center turn ins like here. Suburban parking lot design often encourages people to go faster than is comfortable to pedestrians.

It just seems like a design with buildings lining the spine road with the parking lots behind them would have been a good fit for this site- and if they built it dense enough to warrant building garages, they could build them on the freeway side to deaden the noise.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'd be more concerned about walking to get there than walking within the development - that area around I-35 is a cluster, even for a driver.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:I'd be more concerned about walking to get there than walking within the development - that area around I-35 is a cluster, even for a driver.
NKC added a brand new sidewalk that goes under I-35. It’s actually one of the better ped environments around a freeway in KC
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

First layer of asphalt is going in now. Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom announced today for a December opening.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

A truck already ran over a flex post and drove in the cyclepath. (Apparently it was some lazy contactors).

https://twitter.com/skcopeland/status/1 ... 68096?s=09
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Medical building on the north edge by Armour (9B) has begun steel framing & stair shaft is up.

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

tower wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 am Image
Why does that access road wind all over the place? This is a completely flat site.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Probably to slow traffic
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

To disguise that this is a suburban shopping mall? If the road was a straight shot you'd see only parking lots because there's no way we're putting them behind the building. But hey, cycle track.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:06 pm Probably to slow traffic
Rhetorical question :D - there are other ways to slow traffic. The windy access road decreases pedestrian visibility and wastes space. I'm mainly questioning site planner's tendency to copy / paste suburban concepts. This isn't really design as much as it's arbitrary land management fashioned to look familiar to suburban drivers (and planners)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm still steamed about the loss of Sutherlands.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This development looks stalled. Nothing but a road as of this week.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Meierotto Jewelers store is open.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ I knew that opened. But the rest of the site looks like it's not really moving along since they built the road. Maybe it's on track. Just an observation.