Target at Ward Parkway

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by trailerkid »

A columnist in the Star mentioned how excited everyone in his neighborhood was about Target at Ward Parkway. People were happy to not have to drive to the edge of town to shop there.

How busy is it in there? It seems like they could really attract a lot of people who live on the plaza too. Could it really build Parkway Center into a viable shopping center again?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by KCPowercat »

That's going to be my new target...I'm afraid to go there to see how busy it is though.

Glad these types of businesses are mixing themselves into established communities, not just buying up land on the edges to keep promoting sprawl.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by KCgridlock »

I used to live right across the street from that mall, an man I wish they put that in sooner. We had to drive to 119th Street to go shop at places like that. Should be a huge success.

Never understood that, guess it's a money thing, but there are super wal-marts next to super targets in thinly populated fringe burbs all over the city but nothing where people live in densly populated areas.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by KCPowercat »

Price of land I'm sure is part of it....hard to find an area to place a 1,000 spot surface lot in the city (unless you're at Linwood & Main ;) )

That talk of those mini-Wal-marts would be good for areas downtown....

ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by ShowME »

It's only a matter of time before Mini-Walmarts start invading KC. They're already opening up in OKC and Dallas. They're called Neighborhood Market's. I know grocers in St. Louis such as Schnuck's are already cutting back on expansion because they know that the Neighborhood Market's are right around the corner. I'm sure chain's in KC such as Price Chopper and Hyvee are thinking the same thing. Anywho I also saw that they broke ground on the new SuperTarget to be built on the Missouri side of State Line at 135th Street this past week. It said Grand Opening is in the fall of 2004. I've never been in a regular Target like the one at Ward Parkway. Is it the same as SuperTarget just without the groceries?
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah regular target is like the old regular wal-marts....it does have some groceries though.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by trailerkid »

I heard that Target is not connected to the interior of the mall. If this is true, I think that's really stupid. If it was, you could get some stuff at Target, browse the Gap, and then see a movie without moving your car. Most Target stores aren't in malls anymore, but the owners of Ward Parkway should have required a mall entrance. Target doesn't really fit into most malls but there's a huge mall in So Cal called Lakewood Center that has Macy's and Robinsons-May and Target is building a huge store there connected to the mall. Someone tell me what the deal is.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I know you fellas posted this almost 3 weeks ago, but I thought I'd reply anyway. The first ever Target I seen connected to a mall was in Des Moines at Southridge Mall. I thought it was kind of corny at the time. Did anyone hear about the Target on a boat in NYC? Now that's original :idea: Made me wonder why we can't get something like that on a riverboat...I jus' miss the riverboats in general...remember the ol' River Queen?
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by trailerkid »

Yeah, i'm not a fan of Target in a mall either...it'd look silly somewhere like Oak Park. But at Ward Parkway...an interior mall that is really sad, it would've been nice for Target to give it a little more foot traffic.

Yeah, that Target on a barge was more of an advertisement I think. They did that cause they couldn't get anywhere in Manhattan for a good price. From the buzz out of NYC, people are obsessed with Target kinda like people are with Krispy Kreme, but less manic. It's so weird to hear people thinking Target is so cool when I've never really known life without Target.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by DanCa »

I have a K-Mart, Target and WalMart all close to where I live but I always shop at Target. K-Mart looks the same as it did 20 years ago and seems messy. WalMart is way overcrowded (great mullet hunting) and I swear, I've never spent less than 15 minutes in a checkout line. Target always seems clean, organized and the wait is never long. I don't know how prices compare, but Target is definitely the better experience of the three stores.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I agree about the Target experience...and yes, there's always long lines at Walmart. However, you pay extra for quality service :lol: both Walmart & Kmart are cheaper (BTW, Kmart has the worst service).
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCgridlock

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by KCgridlock »

They all suck, I go to which ever is the most convenient at the time.

I like K-Marts no cashier check out lines, there could be a line ten people deep and those are usually empty, so I go in get what I want, ring it up myself and get out, quickly.

Walmart is cheap, but lines are always long and Target never seems to have anything, not sure why.

If I had to choose, probably Target.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Target at Ward Parkway

Post by DanCa »

Oh yeah. I forgot about K-mart's "check yourself out" line. I like that because, like you said, they're usually empty and I can get in and out fast. That's the only reason I ever go into K-mart.