Crescent Creek in Raytown

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Dial Realty is proposing a neo-traditional development at 59th and Raytown Trafficway. While a full-blown mixed-use/New Urban project, it does feature pedestrian-friendly design and a mix of housing prices and types. Apartments, townhomes, single family, etc. The development covers 22 acres and would cost $22 million. No public subsidies are mentioned in the Star article. This is great news for Raytown. 22 acres is huge for a landlocked city with little undeveloped land left.

Dial's exsting KC projects include housing redevelopment in the Truman Road corridor of Independence, plus Hartman Heritage Center at I-70 and Little Blue Parkway in Independence and Tremont Square at I-29 and NW 64th St. in Kansas City.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I agree. Way to go, Raytown!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

as a lifelong resident of raytown, i'd like to say that this is probably the best thing i've ever heard regarding raytown. i hope it takes off.

this may sound morbid, but raytown is due to take off in some way, and it could go up or down....because let's face it, a large, large % of raytown (and certainly most of the voters) are people of my grandparents generation, and, sadly, they are expiring...

new blood is moving in and it's fantastic. taxes for schools, taxes for parks, now this new development. i think it's a big boost for raytown and a good model for modest, but solid inner-ring suburb development.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Overall support was voiced for this project, yet some NIMBYs are outraged saying, “I don't want to see a townhome across the street with 12 cars on the street coming and going at all hours of the night" and “I oppose a townhome behind my property.â€
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

What's a "NIMBY?"
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote:What's a "NIMBY?"
Not In My Back Yard
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Crescent Creek has received final approval from the city council. The first homes are expected to be finished this fall.

http://www.dispatchtribune.com/artman/p ... 2954.shtml
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Web site is up giving a little bit more info...

http://www.crescentcreekhomes.com/
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Crescent Creek In Raytown

Post by KansasCityCraka »

They are trying to bring back the old missouri look to this neighborhood! Crescent Creek is located at the NW corner of 59th and Raytown Road in Raytown, MO

Here is the website for all the news and developments of the subdivision.
http://www.crescentcreekhomes.com/

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Crescent Creek In Raytown

Post by dangerboy »

Thansk for the pics, looks like this project is coming along very well.

Here is the original thread...  http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=1490.0
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by shinatoo »

Raytown's two bigest (nad symbiotic) needs are high density, non rental, housing and a mass transit (MAX) connection to DTKCMO. this development is righ across the street from the abandoned rail line that runs past the stadium and then to the river market. I say pave it and run busses on it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KansasCityCraka, thanks for the update.

Infill projects like this can truly make a difference in aging inner ring suburbs.  Dial should be congratulated for developing this project.  They have done others in old Independence as well.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Nice development.  It looks like a "mini-Stapleton".  The only thing odd is that they put the exact same floorplans and elevations next to one another, but then it looks like they only have one bulder.  Stapleton has 19 builders so you get more diversity in architecture because they don't allow the same builder to build on more than one block at a time. 
kevink
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kevink »

DanCa wrote: Nice development.  It looks like a "mini-Stapleton".  The only thing odd is that they put the exact same floorplans and elevations next to one another, but then it looks like they only have one bulder.  Stapleton has 19 builders so you get more diversity in architecture because they don't allow the same builder to build on more than one block at a time. 
On the first street, I think there are 2 models next to each other that are essentially the same floor plan, except that one has a wrapped porch. Otherwise, the units are all different. There will ultimately be about 8 different single family models, a couple of duplex types, and 2-3 different townhouse plans.

But, it is all being built by one builder, and designed by one designer (my firm), so your diversity comment is correct. Your critiques are appreciated, especially those of you who happen to visit it and walk around. They will have one or 2 models open for the Parade of Homes.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

kevink wrote: On the first street, I think there are 2 models next to each other that are essentially the same floor plan, except that one has a wrapped porch. Otherwise, the units are all different. There will ultimately be about 8 different single family models, a couple of duplex types, and 2-3 different townhouse plans.

But, it is all being built by one builder, and designed by one designer (my firm), so your diversity comment is correct. Your critiques are appreciated, especially those of you who happen to visit it and walk around. They will have one or 2 models open for the Parade of Homes.
I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.  One thing I love about these houses as well as at Stapleton is that the architectural details extend to the sides and rear of the houses.  You don't get that in most new, suburban developments.  I also like the diversity in size you have.  My neighborhood has price points ranging from $150K condos to "urban estates" that are over a million. 

So what was the inspiration for the different designs?
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

I think this project looks really good and will is a great start to bring new and more dense housing in Raytown which is needed.
"Make no small plans: they have no magic to stir men's blood,"  Daniel Burnham.
kevink
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kevink »

DanCa wrote: I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.  One thing I love about these houses as well as at Stapleton is that the architectural details extend to the sides and rear of the houses.  You don't get that in most new, suburban developments.  I also like the diversity in size you have.  My neighborhood has price points ranging from $150K condos to "urban estates" that are over a million. 

So what was the inspiration for the different designs?
It's mostly looking at what you can do with contemporary residential constrution techniques, with a Midwestern vernacular. It draws on basic types we see here: 4 squares, bungalows, etc, and gives a stripped-down Craftsman look. But, we also mix in a lot of different plan types that you don't typically see here, including the rear and side courtyard orientations.

So, it's influenced from a variety of directions.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

kevink wrote: It's mostly looking at what you can do with contemporary residential constrution techniques, with a Midwestern vernacular. It draws on basic types we see here: 4 squares, bungalows, etc, and gives a stripped-down Craftsman look. But, we also mix in a lot of different plan types that you don't typically see here, including the rear and side courtyard orientations.

So, it's influenced from a variety of directions.
Interesting.  Stapleton used architecture from historic Denver neighborhoods for inspiration so you see a lot of similarities.  It's nice to see such interesting and traditional architecture making a comeback. 
kevink
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kevink »

DanCa wrote: Interesting.  Stapleton used architecture from historic Denver neighborhoods for inspiration so you see a lot of similarities.  It's nice to see such interesting and traditional architecture making a comeback. 
Yes, Denver & KC's pre-war architecture is quite similar, which is not surprising given that they developed in similar eras, and are fairly close geographically. There are slight modifications in the building designs to account for some of the climactic differences, but by and large you see a lot of the same influences.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I thought this project was much further along than this: