Crescent Creek in Raytown

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
User avatar
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9029
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am
Location: West 39th St. - KCMO

Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by dangerboy » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:56 pm

Dial Realty is proposing a neo-traditional development at 59th and Raytown Trafficway. While a full-blown mixed-use/New Urban project, it does feature pedestrian-friendly design and a mix of housing prices and types. Apartments, townhomes, single family, etc. The development covers 22 acres and would cost $22 million. No public subsidies are mentioned in the Star article. This is great news for Raytown. 22 acres is huge for a landlocked city with little undeveloped land left.

Dial's exsting KC projects include housing redevelopment in the Truman Road corridor of Independence, plus Hartman Heritage Center at I-70 and Little Blue Parkway in Independence and Tremont Square at I-29 and NW 64th St. in Kansas City.

User avatar
bahua
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10857
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:39 pm
Location: Out of Town
Contact:

Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by bahua » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:48 pm

I agree. Way to go, Raytown!

User avatar
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16992
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:43 am

Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by chrizow » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:50 am

as a lifelong resident of raytown, i'd like to say that this is probably the best thing i've ever heard regarding raytown. i hope it takes off.

this may sound morbid, but raytown is due to take off in some way, and it could go up or down....because let's face it, a large, large % of raytown (and certainly most of the voters) are people of my grandparents generation, and, sadly, they are expiring...

new blood is moving in and it's fantastic. taxes for schools, taxes for parks, now this new development. i think it's a big boost for raytown and a good model for modest, but solid inner-ring suburb development.

User avatar
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 11221
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:49 pm
Location: San Francisco, California
Contact:

Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by trailerkid » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:35 pm

Overall support was voiced for this project, yet some NIMBYs are outraged saying, “I don't want to see a townhome across the street with 12 cars on the street coming and going at all hours of the night" and “I oppose a townhome behind my property.â€

User avatar
bahua
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10857
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:39 pm
Location: Out of Town
Contact:

Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by bahua » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:54 am

What's a "NIMBY?"

User avatar
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9029
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am
Location: West 39th St. - KCMO

Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by dangerboy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:14 am

bahua wrote:What's a "NIMBY?"


Not In My Back Yard

User avatar
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9029
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am
Location: West 39th St. - KCMO

Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by dangerboy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:40 am

Crescent Creek has received final approval from the city council. The first homes are expected to be finished this fall.

http://www.dispatchtribune.com/artman/p ... 2954.shtml

User avatar
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 11221
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:49 pm
Location: San Francisco, California
Contact:

Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by trailerkid » Sun May 02, 2004 11:57 pm

Web site is up giving a little bit more info...

http://www.crescentcreekhomes.com/

User avatar
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4795
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:01 pm

Crescent Creek In Raytown

Post by KansasCityCraka » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:50 pm

They are trying to bring back the old missouri look to this neighborhood! Crescent Creek is located at the NW corner of 59th and Raytown Road in Raytown, MO

Here is the website for all the news and developments of the subdivision.
http://www.crescentcreekhomes.com/

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9029
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am
Location: West 39th St. - KCMO

Re: Crescent Creek In Raytown

Post by dangerboy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:48 pm

Thansk for the pics, looks like this project is coming along very well.

Here is the original thread...  http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=1490.0

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6084
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by shinatoo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:21 am

Raytown's two bigest (nad symbiotic) needs are high density, non rental, housing and a mass transit (MAX) connection to DTKCMO. this development is righ across the street from the abandoned rail line that runs past the stadium and then to the river market. I say pave it and run busses on it.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14274
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by GRID » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:09 pm

KansasCityCraka, thanks for the update.

Infill projects like this can truly make a difference in aging inner ring suburbs.  Dial should be congratulated for developing this project.  They have done others in old Independence as well.

User avatar
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:11 pm
Location: Denver, CO (Stapleton)

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by DanCa » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:48 pm

Nice development.  It looks like a "mini-Stapleton".  The only thing odd is that they put the exact same floorplans and elevations next to one another, but then it looks like they only have one bulder.  Stapleton has 19 builders so you get more diversity in architecture because they don't allow the same builder to build on more than one block at a time. 

User avatar
kevink
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: MidtownKC

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by kevink » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:36 pm

DanCa wrote:Nice development.  It looks like a "mini-Stapleton".  The only thing odd is that they put the exact same floorplans and elevations next to one another, but then it looks like they only have one bulder.  Stapleton has 19 builders so you get more diversity in architecture because they don't allow the same builder to build on more than one block at a time. 


On the first street, I think there are 2 models next to each other that are essentially the same floor plan, except that one has a wrapped porch. Otherwise, the units are all different. There will ultimately be about 8 different single family models, a couple of duplex types, and 2-3 different townhouse plans.

But, it is all being built by one builder, and designed by one designer (my firm), so your diversity comment is correct. Your critiques are appreciated, especially those of you who happen to visit it and walk around. They will have one or 2 models open for the Parade of Homes.

User avatar
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:11 pm
Location: Denver, CO (Stapleton)

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by DanCa » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:52 am

kevink wrote:On the first street, I think there are 2 models next to each other that are essentially the same floor plan, except that one has a wrapped porch. Otherwise, the units are all different. There will ultimately be about 8 different single family models, a couple of duplex types, and 2-3 different townhouse plans.

But, it is all being built by one builder, and designed by one designer (my firm), so your diversity comment is correct. Your critiques are appreciated, especially those of you who happen to visit it and walk around. They will have one or 2 models open for the Parade of Homes.


I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.  One thing I love about these houses as well as at Stapleton is that the architectural details extend to the sides and rear of the houses.  You don't get that in most new, suburban developments.  I also like the diversity in size you have.  My neighborhood has price points ranging from $150K condos to "urban estates" that are over a million. 

So what was the inspiration for the different designs?

KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:54 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by KC ROO » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:08 am

I think this project looks really good and will is a great start to bring new and more dense housing in Raytown which is needed.
"Make no small plans: they have no magic to stir men's blood,"  Daniel Burnham.

User avatar
kevink
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: MidtownKC

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by kevink » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:16 pm

DanCa wrote:I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.  One thing I love about these houses as well as at Stapleton is that the architectural details extend to the sides and rear of the houses.  You don't get that in most new, suburban developments.  I also like the diversity in size you have.  My neighborhood has price points ranging from $150K condos to "urban estates" that are over a million. 

So what was the inspiration for the different designs?


It's mostly looking at what you can do with contemporary residential constrution techniques, with a Midwestern vernacular. It draws on basic types we see here: 4 squares, bungalows, etc, and gives a stripped-down Craftsman look. But, we also mix in a lot of different plan types that you don't typically see here, including the rear and side courtyard orientations.

So, it's influenced from a variety of directions.

User avatar
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:11 pm
Location: Denver, CO (Stapleton)

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by DanCa » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:14 am

kevink wrote:It's mostly looking at what you can do with contemporary residential constrution techniques, with a Midwestern vernacular. It draws on basic types we see here: 4 squares, bungalows, etc, and gives a stripped-down Craftsman look. But, we also mix in a lot of different plan types that you don't typically see here, including the rear and side courtyard orientations.

So, it's influenced from a variety of directions.


Interesting.  Stapleton used architecture from historic Denver neighborhoods for inspiration so you see a lot of similarities.  It's nice to see such interesting and traditional architecture making a comeback. 

User avatar
kevink
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: MidtownKC

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by kevink » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:29 pm

DanCa wrote:Interesting.  Stapleton used architecture from historic Denver neighborhoods for inspiration so you see a lot of similarities.  It's nice to see such interesting and traditional architecture making a comeback. 


Yes, Denver & KC's pre-war architecture is quite similar, which is not surprising given that they developed in similar eras, and are fairly close geographically. There are slight modifications in the building designs to account for some of the climactic differences, but by and large you see a lot of the same influences.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14274
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Crescent Creek in Raytown

Post by GRID » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:52 pm

I thought this project was much further along than this:

Image

Post Reply