OFFICIAL: Summit Fair (LS shopping center)

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

OFFICIAL: Summit Fair (LS shopping center)

Post by missingkc »

Posted on Sat, Jul. 31, 2004

New center discussed for site near SummitWoods

By RUSS PULLEY

The Kansas City Star

The developers of SummitWoods Crossing shopping center in Lee's Summit are thinking about building a shopping center next to their highly successful project.

RED Development is working on a 65-acre center to bring upscale stores to the northwest corner of Chipman and Pryor roads, adjacent to SummitWoods Crossing, said Dan Lowe, a partner in the company.

Lowe stressed that the company is in preliminary stages of evaluating whether the site is feasible. It hasn't obtained the land.

If that site does not work, the company will consider other locations, he said, because the Lee's Summit market is ready to support more ventures.

SummitWoods Crossing is “tremendously successful,â€
Last edited by trailerkid on Tue May 16, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Planning for Upscale Lee's Summit Shopping Center

Post by trailerkid »

This is pretty huge for Lee's Summit. It is basically the inevitable arrival of Lee's Summit's first full blown regional mall. CBL is not a small retail developer and I would expect this project to be comparable in size to Zona Rosa or RED's new mall in West Omaha.

I am opposed to building yet another metro crappy lifestyle/new urban/upscale thing in Lee's Summit. Although Lee's Summit is becoming such a large market that they will need a major retail center, I would rather see them go in a different direction. Is there any way to develop downtown Lee's Summit in a manner similar to Lawrence and incorporate the new tenants that want into market in the existing downtown area? Why tear down houses and destroy stuff to build a fake downtown area when a real one exists only minutes away?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Lee's Summit's downtown is thriving. However they are focusing on independent shops, eateries, etc., NOT national chains.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

isn't summitwoods already a shopping center?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

UMKCgal wrote:isn't summitwoods already a shopping center?
Yes...but Summitwoods is a "power center" with some other smaller retail stores. I'm anticipating that CBL and RED will probably plan an actual mall with anchors like JCPenney and/or Jones and that it'll attract all the typical mall stores.
dangerboy wrote:Lee's Summit's downtown is thriving. However they are focusing on independent shops, eateries, etc., NOT national chains.
There was a time in America when chains and independent stores coexisted in the same downtowns and even in malls. I think it adds to the experience to have a variety of options and clientele.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Do you really think it will be a mall? I realize there is sort of a void of a major indoor regional mall in the SE part of the metro, but mall construction has all but come to a halt in this country. Plus, I don't think LS is quite ready for a regional mall. Much of LS is very close to Indep Center. In a few years maybe. There was a article in the paper recently that stated that LS could reach over 200,000 people in the next twenty years. So who knows.

I think it will be like Boardwalk or a smaller version of Leawood Town Center.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote:Do you really think it will be a mall? I realize there is sort of a void of a major indoor regional mall in the SE part of the metro, but mall construction has all but come to a halt in this country. Plus, I don't think LS is quite ready for a regional mall. Much of LS is very close to Indep Center. In a few years maybe. There was a article in the paper recently that stated that LS could reach over 200,000 people in the next twenty years. So who knows.

I think it will be like Boardwalk or a smaller version of Leawood Town Center.
I think the least we can expect is something similar to Boardwalk. But the reason I think they may be planning a large scale mall is because RED is involving CBL, which is a major owner of shopping centers around the country. RED is now partnering when they do a larger non-big box centers (New Omaha mall with Quantum, New Twin Cities mall with Opus).

The market radius for Independence Center right now is huge. It includes all of East Jack and probably stretches to Cass County. If Lee's Summit builds a mall, N. Lee's Summit will remain in Independence Center's market, but much of Lee's Summit's booming areas like the Southwest will become strong demos for a new shopping center closer to home. Retailers look at things like the population, but also incomes within 5 miles, 10 miles, etc...Lee's Summit has it or if it doesn't will have it within a few years. I would be willing to bet you could place a retail center(although the LS mall will most likely be outdoor) the same size as Independence Center in LS and it would prosper.

Oh yeah...and malls are still very popular! People just want more out of malls than the drabness they got in the 80s and 90s. Jordan Creek's indoor outdoor plastic palace in Des Moines had 130,000 visitors the first day.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I doubt it would be a traditional enclosed mall. How many of these are being built these days? Not even the retail Valhalla of Johnson County can get a new enclosed mall built. If it is an enclosed mall, it would certainly kill any hope of briging back Bannister. But the outdoor center might do that also.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote:I doubt it would be a traditional enclosed mall. How many of these are being built these days? Not even the retail Valhalla of Johnson County can get a new enclosed mall built. If it is an enclosed mall, it would certainly kill any hope of briging back Bannister. But the outdoor center might do that also.
It probably won't be enclosed-- I'll give you that just because of building trends. So Jo Co is doing like 3 different outdoor malls along 135th I believe (One Corbin Park to have 1 M square feet).
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Omaha Village Point-- 65 acres, 600,000 square feet
Legends -- 73 acres, 800,000 square feet
Maple Grove's The Shops at Arbor Lakes-- 53 acres, 400,000 square feet

Proposed Lee's Summit center--- 65 acres, ??? square feet
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have this feeling that that entire 470/350/50 interchange will be a whole different animal after those new exits open.

Expect I-29 & Barry or I-35 & 119th type retail only it will be even bigger.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

SummitWoods is so so so so incredibly awful. i can't believe it. whoever designed the roads/parking lot layout in that development should be forced to wear a sign at the entrance to the center that says "I AM THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MESS. PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY."

now that my hatred for SummitWoods has been made known, it is admittedly pretty cool to have Borders and Starbucks just a couple miles from my (parents') house. i may reject big box centers in theory, but it is pretty convenient when one is right by you. i frequently go to Borders and just read books for hours to get out of the house, and SW is the first real "nice" development to be soooo close to raytown. raytown needs retail love too, yknow.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It was mentioned in the paper today that Penny's might be interested in anchoring a new mall in Lee's Summit. That's all it said.
Karin
Strip mall
Strip mall

Lee's Summit Mall

Post by Karin »

Posted on Sat, Sep. 25, 2004

Petition drive tries to fend off development of park
Homeowners collect 1,000 signatures

By RUSS PULLEY
The Kansas City Star

Many residents who live near Lowenstein Park in Lee's Summit are saying "don't sell, trade or barter our park," replying to a proposal that the land be used for a shopping center.

Sharon Hill, president of Westbrooke III homeowners association, this week presented the Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation Board with a petition that she said contains 1,099 signatures opposing a proposal by RED Development.

Residents say they are concerned about losing the park as a buffer to SummitWoods Crossing shopping center and ever-increasing traffic congestion. Other worries include increases in crime and lower property values.

The company is meeting with homeowner associations to explain its "conceptual plan" for a high-end shopping center adjacent to SummitWoods Crossing at Pryor and Chipman roads.

Hill said the developers told residents at a recent Westbrooke III homeowners association meeting that they also were working on alternative designs that wouldn't use the park property.

The developers are considering a design that would include a large part of the park property. The company could offer to buy some nearby land to replace the loss of land and reconfigure Lowenstein Park ---- about doubling its size--- and make other improvements. Questions exist about whether that is feasible because the new site has been undermined by rock quarrying.

Hill said residents also aren't interested in moving the 18-acre park next to the highway because of noise and car pollution.

"We just want what exists today to be left alone," Hill said.

During lunch hours, when customers are headed to restaurants, and during holiday and back-to-school shopping, congestion at Chipman Road becomes terrible, Hill said.

Tom Lovell, parks administrator, said that the city hasn't received any formal applications for a shopping center, and the proposal is very preliminary.

He said it will take time before the park board is ready to discuss the offer. It needs answers to questions about the stability of the land and whether it can be sold, because the land was donated to the city.

There also is a competing plan for developing the land that would be used for replacing park property, so it might not be available to RED Development.

Park board members assured residents at the meeting that they would not rush any decision. "There's still a lot of loose stuff out there," Robert Busby said.

To reach Russ Pulley, Lee's Summit reporter, call (816) 234-7811 or send e-mail to rpulley@kcstar.com
K. Valentine
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LS Park Board turns down RED proposal
By Matt Bird-Meyer The Journal Staff

The Lee’s Summit Park Board gave a resounding “Noâ€
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

This confirms the theory that traffic in the burbs can be horrendous thanks to the building of sprawled out housing pods that are only accessible by overused collector roads. I believe if the numbnuts who design and build suburbs reverted to a grid pattern of street layout, much of this problem would dissipate.

This NIMBYism is sad, because a "lifestyle center" would likely enhance the built environment (such as it is) in Lee's Summit. But this brings up another point. Us Americans are so accustomed to the fiasco of a sprawled out suburbia in which everything is only accessible by car, that now these "lifestyle centers" are becoming a welcomed respite from the grind of normal suburban life. We flock to these fake developments that are walkable and traditional in the nature of town planning, but they are a mere island in a sea of bilge. This qualifies as ridiculous, and ridicule is often the fate of the ridiculous.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Developer floats new idea for park

By RUSS PULLEY The Kansas City Star

The developer of SummitWoods Crossing in Lee's Summit is proposing an alternative swap for city park land so it can build another shopping center at Chipman and Pryor roads.

RED Development is working on a concept that would use three acres of Lowenstein Park next to SummitWoods Crossing as part of its site for a “lifestyleâ€
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Planning for Upscale Lee's Summit Shopping Center

Post by trailerkid »

Has any more info surfaced on this project? LS is so isolated and has such dynamic demos that it seems inevitable for it to really have retail development that is comparable to areas like So Jo Co and Independence Center.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: Has any more info surfaced on this project? LS is so isolated and has such dynamic demos that it seems inevitable for it to really have retail development that is comparable to areas like So Jo Co and Independence Center.
Isolated how?  It has excellent highway access.  There's just a lot of vacant land left between it and some of the metro. 

LS could be the dark horse of KC suburbs that overtakes the others before they know it.  If it's office market takes off it could give the Northland some competition for succeeding Joco.  And it's not just contemporary suburban development.  They have one of the best suburban downtowns and are looking at their third New Urban development.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Isolated how?  It has excellent highway access.  There's just a lot of vacant land left between it and some of the metro. 

LS could be the dark horse of KC suburbs that overtakes the others before they know it.  If it's office market takes off it could give the Northland some competition for succeeding Joco.  And it's not just contemporary suburban development.  They have one of the best suburban downtowns and are looking at their third New Urban development.[quote][/quote]

Lee's Summit has zero good jobs to speak of.  Everyone has to commute to Johnson County, the Plaza or downtown.  With L.S. rapid growth and everybody using a car to commute they will have outgrown the Grandview Triangle project by the time it's done.  There's no good way to get to downtown without relying on I-70 and it's also not a quick shot to the airport like Johnson County has with I-635.  They can add as many shopping centers as they want but they really need to be focusing on adding good jobs.
Calling a spade a spade.