Adams Dairy Landing Shopping Center in Blue Springs

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

New Shopping Center in Blue Springs

Post by ComandanteCero »

Missouri is very susceptible to hyper sprawl because of the insane amount of political fragmentation that exists at the city, town and county level. Every city and its little brother is competing with each other to attract possible development (so as to attract sales taxes ((and property taxes to a lesser extent))). On the KS side most of the sprawl happened within one county so the inter city competition wasn't as insane (in other words you can find a cohesive mass of sprawl that grew in a south westernly direction) but on the Missouri side you you have multiple counties with multiple cities competing for the growth (so you have parkville, and LS and Independence forces). I don't think any of this sprawl (on either side of the state line) is good for KCMO, since it's not like the population is growing enough to demand this kind of development pattern. It's less about population growth as it is about population decentralization (which does not bode well for the urban core). Again we need the region to come together to align their interests to encourage development and redevelopment within the existing city...........
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New Shopping Center in Blue Springs

Post by GRID »

Retail space gets OK

Just an update on this project for anybody that might care about a 1 million sq ft surburban center 25 miles from Downtown ;).
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This is unbelievable that Blue Springs is pursuing this while the rest of the city's retail areas are struggling.  The city is not big enough to support this much additional retail, and a lot of stores will just move across town.  The city is going to end up with one nice strip mall while 7, 40, and Woods Chapel all turn into clones of Noland Road.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I agree to a point.  It will mostly hurt the citys chances of filling the empty big boxes at 40 & 7, but there are new cetners going in south of 40 and north of 70, plus there are at least three redevelopments taking place to replace serveral of the older strip malls between 40 and 70 with new ones and better tennats.

Blue Springs and Grain Valley (which the basically the same area) have a population of over 65,000 and some good demos, so there is need for something besides Walmart.  The city will land things like Best Buy, Target, Kohls etc, but it's not going to land two of each.  It would be nice if the Adam's Dairy Project was only half as big and the rest went to 40 & 7.

I-70 is only four lanes out there and that is going to be a major problem.

The Woods Chappel corridor is getting rebuilt.  It's being desinged now.  Western BS is still growing dramatically and the SE corner of Indep (old landfill with have executive housing in a few years.  So I'm sure the retail on Woods Chapel will improve.

But the areas around BS continue to develop and that is what threatens BS more than anything.

There is another site plan that looks very similar this adams dairy plan that is going in on the SE corner of Little Blue and I-70.  You have the Bass Pro site, which is further away, but still, it will have 500,000 sq ft of retail, you have the center north of Hartman Heritage going in and there is another in the works for east of the new hospital.

US 40 near Easland and Eastland itself are still adding retail too.

Then on the south side of town, there are plans making thier way through for new retail along 7 near Colbern.  Woods Chapel which is going to be widened between the lakes and 470 is already platted for two massive retail centers.

So, I don't know...
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Damn Grid I knew about the Bass Pro site and had read this thread back in '04 about this project but I didn't have a clue to the amount of retail coming off the drawing boards.  Seriously I know you live in Eastern Jack but how on earth can that area support that much retail?  Also I know the terrain is nice, there's lots of lakes and the schools are decent but how do people justify living there?  Most of the decent paying jobs are either downtown or in Johnson County both commutes are hell from the B.S. area.  And you know I-70 and I-470 are going to get much worse.
Calling a spade a spade.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Blue Springs is only going to have one Target, one Wal-Mart, one Home Depot, etc.  With it's proximity to Independence I doubt it will get a Kohl's or Lowe's until it has another 50,000 people or so (e.g. not any time soon).

A Target at 40 and 7 Hwys would do a lot more for the city than a Target on the Grain Valley border.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

ShowME wrote: Damn Grid I knew about the Bass Pro site and had read this thread back in '04 about this project but I didn't have a clue to the amount of retail coming off the drawing boards.  Seriously I know you live in Eastern Jack but how on earth can that area support that much retail?  Also I know the terrain is nice, there's lots of lakes and the schools are decent but how do people justify living there?  Most of the decent paying jobs are either downtown or in Johnson County both commutes are hell from the B.S. area.  And you know I-70 and I-470 are going to get much worse.
Actually, I don't know how it's going to support all of the new retail.  LS and Indep will soon have every retail store imaginable and BS just might be a little late.  But I have heard the the shopping center in BS is going to have no problem getting leased.  Something's got a give, but then every time they open new stuff around the mall, it just seems to grow the market, so who knows.  JaCo has hundreds of thousands of people and the market into rural MO is pretty huge.  Who knows.

There is so much more coming, though, litterally millions of sq ft along 470 from 50 to 70 and along 70 from Blue Ridge Mall to GV.  It will be interesting.

dangerboy, I agree, but it was the residents of BS that pushed Walmart to Adam's Dairy, they wanted to stay on 7.  Well, they opened a can of worms.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

The average amount of retail square feet per capita has risen at a high rate in the US in the past 10 years. The KC metro area is above average in retail square feet per person.

Some of this is being driven by low interest rates, which makes it more attractive to build new. Some of it is chasing demographics as the edge cities move farther out. Some of it is retail chains wanting to position themselves as "growth stories" for wall street so they have to open X many stores a year. Some of it reflects the debt junkie mind set that is popular with consumers as they live beyond their means.

Looks like a bubble. But it is far more widespead than Blue Springs.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yes, the retail market stretches way out into west-central Missouri, and rural Missouri is a lot more populated than rural Kansas.  Before retail took off in the Northland Independence also pulled in a lot of people from northwestern Missouri.  I do think there is still a lot of unmet demand in Eastern Jackson County, but not enough for Blue Springs to build this new center AND fill up it's vacant big boxes with similar chains.  Anyone remember Fall Creek?

I think Lee's Summit is more a problem for Blue Springs than Independnece, in terms of capturing the rural market.  People from Harrisonville, Warrensburg, and Sedalia now drive by a lot of new options in LS before getting to anything in Independence of Blue Springs.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I think LS and BS will be fine.  Route 7 is getting lots of new shopping centers now and the growth out south will eventually help route 7 out south.  Fall Creek was a disaster to start, the developers of that had no idea what they were doing.

Problem is LS and BS are both going to intercept all the traffic heading to Indep.  Most of the higher end retail and midrange restaurants near the mall are supported by BS and LS and if you take away the Odessa and Warrensburg shoppers???

But then I think of the hundreds of thousounds of people to the west of 470 with nothing.

It will be interesting, that's for sure.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Blue Springs is the Olathe of East Jack.  8)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: Blue Springs is the Olathe of East Jack.  8)
Yea, I know, BS seems about 10 years behind Olathe, but the similarities are hard to miss.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This shopping center might be in trouble, and I sure as hell hope it is.

Read on:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 280164.htm

I'm not sure if it is or not, I have heard that it's still going through, but I seriously hope it falls on its face.

WHY IN THE WORLD is Blue Springs putting so much effort and money into a 1990 big box center???  Target and Lowes.  Ye haww, we are bigtime now!

Hell they are doing the same thing with the "Billion dollar" development out south.  A freaking Walmart and a....Lowes.

I don't have a problem with Walmart or Lowes, but when you spend a huge amount of money to tear down and redevelop a mall and replace it with a carbon copy of what Oak Grove has (KCMO), that just pisses me off.  They could have done SOOOOO much more with that land where Blue Ridge Mall once stood and 200,000 cars drive by daily and 300,000 live within 5 miles all underseverd by retail.  Off topic, sorry.

See Mission Center aka Gateway.

So Blue Springs scrapes off farmland and uses creative financing to bring in a walmart and home depot and phase two is a target and lowes.

All the while, all over town from KC North to Liberty to Lenexa to Leawood, higher density, mixed use projects pop up.

I just wanted to vent a bit on Blue Springs which is wasting an amazing opportunity to do some new and interesting things with the Chapman Farms and Adams Dairy corridors.

Oh well, Even though I live in BS, I live on the west end (between Indep Center Lakewood and Tapawingo), I rarely set foot in any Blue Springs retail or restaurants now.  Guess that won't be changing...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yes, Blue Springs is missing a golden opportunity.  As usual, the city is chasing what other suburbs had 10 years ago instead of looking at what they are doing today. 

And there is no way Lowe's or Target need any subsidy at this location, except the fact that other businesses have been subsidized there.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Good old Blue Springs.

Any future TIF money Blue Springs spends needs to go solely to bulldozing everything along 40 and 7 and starting over.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Update:

http://www.examiner.net/stories/012507/ ... 7003.shtml

RED wooing Target, Lowe's to a 639,000 sq ft center.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

GRID wrote: Update:

http://www.examiner.net/stories/012507/ ... 7003.shtml

RED wooing Target, Lowe's to a 639,000 sq ft center.
Stupid Examiner.

http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.examiner.net
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

You guys want to know what absurd use of tiffs are?

Post by GRID »

Super tiffs being used to build a target and lowes, in a suburb, in a greefield.

The intersection of Hwys 40 & 7 is looks like hell.  Woods Chapel looks like hell.  There is empty retail and areas in need of redevelopment all over blue springs.  That alone is sad for an outer belt suburb which should be able to keep up with places like Lee's Summit and Olathe.

But to not only tiff, but super tiff (among other incentives) a big box development on Adams Dairy Parkway when they could be doing a mixed use development in an older part of town?  That's total and complete abuse.

http://www.examiner.net/stories/022007/ ... 7003.shtml
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: You guys want to know what absurd use of tiffs are?

Post by DaveKCMO »

RED again?
While this is a higher incentive than was approved under the previous developer, First National Development, Starner said there are plans for more retail square footage this time around with a higher architectural standard and a lifestyle center, a series of smaller retail stores in a pedestrian-friendly format. These elements were not present under plans with First National Development.
once again, i'm sure "pedestrian-friendly" here means strip mall with a sidewalk in front and no integration with the surroundings.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: You guys want to know what absurd use of tiffs are?

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote: RED again?

once again, I'm sure "pedestrian-friendly" here means strip mall with a sidewalk in front and no integration with the surroundings.
600k is smaller than the original plan (1 million).  The main tenants are Lowes and Target which will eat up nearly 400k of spaces and I'm sure there will be midsized tenants like office max or petco in the rest.

Ped friendly?  They said the same thing about Walmart and Home Depot across the street.

I'm not against any of these tenants or RED.  I'm against using massive incentives at this location for this type of development.
Last edited by GRID on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.