Adams Dairy Landing Shopping Center in Blue Springs

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Adams Dairy Landing Shopping Center in Blue Springs

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Lots of new development set for Blue Springs.  Two seperate projects...

Developer wants shopping center in Blue Springs
The Business Journal

A Chicago-based developer wants to build a shopping center in Blue Springs along Adams Dairy Parkway, Blue Springs Mayor Greg Grounds said Monday.

Grounds said he hopes to get City Council approval soon to negotiate a development agreement with First National Development Ltd.

The developer wants to build nearly 1 million square feet of retail space and an undetermined amount of offices on 100 acres bordering Interstate 70 and the Adams Pointe Golf Club, Grounds said. The project's value is $125 million to $150 million, he said.

Officials of First National couldn't be reached for comment.

First National has worked on about 14 million square feet in Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, New Mexico, Texas and Washington, according to the company's Web site.

Grounds said the proposed shopping center would complement a Home Depot that recently opened in Blue Springs, along with a Wal-Mart that is to be built. The center's mix of big-box stores, medium-sized stores, shops and restaurants will provide shopping that Blue Springs residents now must go elsewhere to find, Grounds said.

Public financing could be provided by a transportation development district that would raise sales taxes within the district, Grounds said.

Blue Springs council will consider mixed-use plans
The Business Journal

The Blue Springs City Council will reconsider plans on Feb. 2 for a mixed-use development at Woods Chapel Road and Interstate 70 after failing to approve the project during a lengthy meeting on Jan. 20.

Blue Springs Mayor Greg Grounds said he hopes the proposed Gateway Village will be approved. The City Council voted 3-2 in favor of the project on Jan. 20 but needed a fourth vote to grant approval.

The project will provide a needed supermarket in western Blue Springs and upgrade Woods Chapel Road, Grounds said. These improvements outweigh neighboring residents' fears about traffic disruptions, he said.

Gateway Village is to be anchored by a Price Chopper supermarket and include nine pad sites. The size of a proposed 220-unit, garden-style apartment complex could be reduced, said Fran Owens, Blue Springs' economic development director.

Public financing could be provided by a transportation development district, which would raise sales taxes in the district by one-quarter to one-half cent, Owens said.
Last edited by GRID on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

New Shopping Center in Blue Springs

Post by trailerkid »

Is the Adams Dairy Parkway retail project intended to be big box or a pedestrian mall?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

After sitting rather stagnent for nearly a decade, BS is blowing up again.

Chapman Farms plans on agenda
Chapman Farms is getting one step closer to Blue Springs.

The major development project, which spans more than 500 acres, was announced in December. Developers for the project, to be at Missouri 7 and Colbern Road, are going before the Planning Commission tonight.

The development proposals include all kinds of housing from apartments to large estate homes. It also includes retail, a school and a fire station. If the plans go through, it will be the first mixed-use community in Blue Springs.

The commission meets tonight at 6:30 in the multipurpose room of the public safety facility.

From staff reports
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I'm skeptical that this new project will get going anytime soon. Blue Springs still isn't big enough and affluent enough for the type of retail that city leaders covet. Especially since it's right between major retail areas in Independence and Lee's Summit. There aren't many chains left that aren't in one or both of those locations already. I don't think there is enough demand yet for third locations in Blue Springs. Look at the Fall Creek strip mall, it's mostly empty with few prospects for any decent tenants.
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

From what I have heard, this is going to happen, this is a national developer that knows how to pull off big projects and does it all the time unlike the Mall at Fall Creek. Plus the Adams Dairy Pkwy is a very sexy area to developers with the very extensive amounts of landscaping, fountains and soon to come lighting etc.

The Blue Springs/GV area has 65,000 residents, LS has 85,000, not to mention the rest of East Jack and its entire drawing area of western Missouri.

There is plenty of room for more retail out east. I am amazed it has taken this long.

The I-70 and I-470 corridors are just exploding right now.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I have always wondered why there was not plans for a regional mall in Lee's Summit. It has been capable of supporting one for the five years I lived here in the KC area.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

seriously lee's summit is due for it's own mall- the whole south and western part of Mo comes through lee's summit first-via 13 to clinton and over to harrisonville. they need something out there-say 470 and view high or whatever.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

kcmajik wrote:seriously lee's summit is due for it's own mall- the whole south and western part of Mo comes through lee's summit first-via 13 to clinton and over to harrisonville. they need something out there-say 470 and view high or whatever.
Too close to the strugglin' Bannister Mall. Independence Center relies on people from Lee's Summit and Blue Springs.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Northern Lee's Summit is only 2 miles from Independence Center, but the center of the city is 12 miles away. There might be enough demand in a few years as the population continues to grow, especially if Bannister Mall doesn't rebound soon. However, enclosed shopping malls are not the status symbol they used to be. Few are truly thriving anymore, and few people are building new ones. Giant strip malls like Summit Woods are the current trend, and mixed-use town centers like New Longview will be the future trend.

In general, malls are less popular in Kansas City than in other places. Independence Center, Metro North Mall, and Overland Park Mall are the only healthy malls here, and they are already located to serve most of the metro area fairly well.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Metro North is healthy?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The city of Blue Springs has done everything, but confirm that Bass Pro Shops had looked at Adams Dairy Parkway. Could this be a part of the giant 1,000,000 square feet of retail? Or does Indy already have BPS in the bag?

Maybe Adams Dairy Pkwy in Blue Springs could be a much easier option than having to deal with the road mess at the Independence site. Can Adams Dairy Pkwy handle Bass Pro if it opened tomorrow? I would assume so as they have triple the retail size of a BPS planned for the site.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The most recent news reports still have Bass Pro going to Indep. MoDOT has started transportation studies for I-470, 291, and 40 Hwys. I don't think Adams Dairy Parkway could handle it. Traffice waitin to turn into a Bass Pro could easily get backed up onto I-70. It's a single, smallish highway exit, there are few adjacent roads, and it would negate the parkway's role as a reliever for 7 Hwy.
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

I thought Bass Pro was a done deal in Independence.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

As I said...Adams Dairy Parkway planned 1,000,000 sq. feet retail = size of 3 Bass Pro Shops.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Update from the Examiner:
As for Blue Springs, developers and planners have opted to remain silent about what they are offering.

There are reports, however, that Blue Springs planners have offered Bass Pro Shops a highly visible site on the Adams Dairy Parkway, near the newly forming retail area just north of I-70.

City officials reportedly showed the site to representatives of Bass Pro Shops recently.

"I can neither confirm nor deny those reports," said Fran Owens, Blue Springs director of community development.

Mayor Greg Grounds also declined to comment, saying if any negotiations are under way, they are highly sensitive and subject to confidentiality agreements.

Grounds did say a business such as Bass Pro Shops would be a great asset for the city.

"We greet with enthusiasm any businesses that look to locate in Blue Springs, and that includes a business like Bass Pro Shops," said Grounds.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Block and Co will be leasing space for this 1,000,000 square foot shopping area called Coronado Plaza. It is described as a power center...expect it to be very similar to Block's Liberty Town Center (I-35 at Barry) but much larger.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

:puke:

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Tosspot wrote::puke:
I'll second that... :puke:

This site is 6 miles east of Independence Center. :shock:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: This site is 6 miles east of Independence Center. :shock:
Is this a shock because it's six miles long or six miles short?

What bugs me most about this is that I-70 is now developing well past where it is six lanes. There is NO WAY that I-70 will be able to handle traffic if it is built up to Odessa, which is happening.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote:
trailerkid wrote: This site is 6 miles east of Independence Center. :shock:
Is this a shock because it's six miles long or six miles short?
I just think it is taking sprawl to a higher level. I consider Independence Center to be something of fringe sprawl so a giant shopping center 6 miles east of fringe sprawl is even worse.