Ward Parkway Mall just sighed up

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Ward Parkway Center

Post by trailerkid »

I haven't been to Ward Parkway in a long time...before Target opened. Any verdict on how the makeover is going/went? I know they have Starbucks, TJ Maxx, and Pier 1 now. Is the place busy or back to its old self? Are there any stores left in the actual indoor mall part?
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Anyone been to Ward Parkway Center recently?

Post by Brooksider »

I go there quite often and it seems very busy now. Even Dillards has picked up. The mall part is dead still though.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

there's a baja fresh there and i buy all my shoes at grubbles- they have THE BEST selection of running shoes and swim wear if you are into that sort of activity. i went to the movies with my sis there about 4 mos ago and it was more dead than about any place i'd ever seen. the food court is practically nonexistant too. i can remember when they first opened the movie theatre as a 22 plex Christmastime about 4-5 years ago, that place was hoppin like i'd never seen- they actually had a GAP at that time.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

that crib is DEAD!! gribbles rocks and T-jay is ok, other than that, it is a ghost town on the interior. and i am back going to movies @ cinemark on the plaza; they dont allow any kids under 14 in w/out an adult after 5pm which keeps all the rug rats at WPkwy 14 or further South. try seeing a movie at Town Center or Ward Parkway some Friday night--its a friggin'romper room.
"ALWAYS be closing"
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I walk over there for lunch every day, and the mall part may as well be a storage facility for nuclear waste. Nothing is happening there.

But come on! Gen'l Tso's chicken for $3.80!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Stopped by Ward Parkway around 1:00 on Friday and the place was hopping-- inside and out. There was a long ass line at Starbucks and Baja Fresh looked packed from the window. The inside of the mall was also a lot busier than when I had visited before Target opened. There was a long line at the few registers by the Target mall entrance. I did not go on the lower level, but the upper inside level had quite a few browsers and people at AMC, although there are little to no stores to browse.

Overall, I was impressed by the traffic outside and inside. I had a hell of a time finding a parking spot by the TJ Maxx area-- had to circle around a number of times as there were a lot of others looking for spots also.

Some suggested improvements:
Reconfigure the interior mall to move shoppers more naturally from the upper to lower level.

Renovate the exterior of the mall on the Ward Parkway side to look more inviting and up-to-date.

Add a Borders Books on the outside upper level by Pier 1.

Bring some modern tenants to the interior mall: Old Navy, American Eagle, Aeropostale, etc.

Dump Dillard's or somehow make it fit better with the rest of what is going on next to it.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I know it is not Ward Parkway, but try Elite Feet for your running shoes.

They are great.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Went there today for some xmas shopping and to grab a bite to eat. It was relatively crowded and the Baja Fresh was off the hook. If they could get 1 more decent size retailer in there things would definitely be looking up even more than they currently are.
Calling a spade a spade.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

heard about elite feet; sounds good. try WPkwy on a Friday night by AMC and you will understand why Cinemark on the Plaza is a better choice! No romper room there.
"ALWAYS be closing"
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

No kids + a bar on the premises = a winner.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I never really understood why Ward Parkway has not been more busy. Its a vey nice mall, well maintained. With the income in the areas sorrounding the mall you'd think it would be packed all the time.

You're right though about the cinemas. I used to live just a few blocks away, and would go to any other theatre besides Ward Parkway. WAY too many children, long lines at the concessions, not cleaned between showings.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

tat2kc wrote:I never really understood why Ward Parkway has not been more busy.
racism...
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Last time I was there 2 months ago the new stores were very busy but the hallways and inside stores were not.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, I think they have basically given up on the insular part of the Mall being successful, and given in to the fact that everyone in KC would rather drive to the store than walk to it.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
tat2kc wrote:I never really understood why Ward Parkway has not been more busy.
racism...
Seriously? Who doesn't want to be the spot on the domino?
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
RicKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Support Baja Fresh -- it's great food

Post by RicKC »

Support the BAJA Fresh restuarant at Ward Parkway. It's the first Metro Missouri side restuarant of the local franchise. You'll love the taquitos.
Total concentration of attention away from yourself is the greatest source of acting.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

oh and don't forget- you carb watchers and fat watchers can no EXACTLY what you're eating there...the amount of carbs, fiber, and fat is on the health conscious menus....i don't know exactly if i believe the fast food industries nutrition facts but if you're someone who does, this place is relatively healthy for whatever diet you're pursuing.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KMBC 9 had a story on Ward Parkway's new "code of conduct." They showed a woman handing out brochures to mall patrons describing what the mall expects people to act like. KMBC spun the story around the policy's aim on keeping teens there in line. One teen said, "In KC, all we have to do is go to the mall. It's not like all teenagers are here to cause problems."

I think Ward Parkway needs to actually get some stores in their mall before they spend time handing out a "code of conduct" to their loyal patrons. Are they trying to win back customers or scare their current ones away?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I think they are trying to prevent what happened to Bannister Mall... Large groups of African American teens congregating in the mall and a few overrated incidents created a public perception of crime and an unsafe environment. Eventually the public misperceptions doomed the mall.

In a larger context, this is yet another symptom of the lack of constructive social opportunities for teens in the metro area. Westport, Plaza, BarryWoods, Noland Road, Independence AMC Theaters, Swope Park, etc. Shopping centers, movie theaters, and cruising are some of the few public places available for teens to congregate and socialize.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'm tellin' you guys, they need to transform one of these hopeless malls into a high-security teenage entertainment district with a dozen or so underage nightclubs, teenage friendly restaurants, PG-13 theaters, shops that are popular with teens, arcade, indoor skatepark, bowling alley, ice-skating, basketball courts, etc. It would be a place where young people would want to go to spend their McDonald's paycheck or allowance. Parents would also know where their kids are at night.

The mall could have security in the parking lot to run off kids that are loitering, they can search and video tape every teenager that enters the mall. Once inside the mall, the kid can pick his/her choice of shopping, dining, sports or entertainment. If anyone fights in the mall or gets caught with drugs, they are charged and banned for one year. You'd have to be a retard to cause trouble when you know your face is on camara. The mall could be open until 12midnight.

I think something like this would definitely keep kids from goin' to regular shopping centers and irritating adults with their loud mouths and disturbances.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.