Global Moderator

Re: Ward Parkway Center

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote:I think that Target shooting was bad PR and contributed to the notion that south JoCoers shouldn't go there because its KCMO (the horror!)
That shooting didn't have much of an impact on the Center. Went a few times afterwards and the amount of traffic was the same as before.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I shop at WPC occasionally when I need big box item and when we take our kids to the movies we usually go there. I have noticed a big uptick in traffic, even pre-holidays, which I assume is the effect of that Trader Joes on the volume of business. It is pretty impressive.

God knows yuppies are fickle and that the crosswinds of disposable income and consumer fetishism could shift at any moment, but for the time being, I have to think that is a big score for the city.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Updated movie theaters.
Now Open at AMC® Ward Parkway 14

Mix, stir or shake up your movie-going experience. This full bar is now serving up your favorite beer, wine and cocktails.

MacGuffins® is for the enjoyment of all theatre guests over the age of 21.
The newly renovated AMC Ward Parkway 14 features power recliners in every auditorium. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your movie in luxurious comfort
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chingon wrote:I shop at WPC occasionally when I need big box item and when we take our kids to the movies we usually go there. I have noticed a big uptick in traffic, even pre-holidays, which I assume is the effect of that Trader Joes on the volume of business. It is pretty impressive.

God knows yuppies are fickle and that the crosswinds of disposable income and consumer fetishism could shift at any moment, but for the time being, I have to think that is a big score for the city.
we finally checked out TJ's at ward parkway this past saturday and the parking lot was a zoo, and both target and TJ's were slammed. huge 180 for this shopping center. the interior mall itself appeared only marginally less dead than 10 years ago, but i have to think that WP is healthier now than it has been since at least the mid 90s when i first started going there.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Just waiting fro Home Goods to open.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Updated movie theaters.
Now Open at AMC® Ward Parkway 14

Mix, stir or shake up your movie-going experience. This full bar is now serving up your favorite beer, wine and cocktails.

MacGuffins® is for the enjoyment of all theatre guests over the age of 21.
The newly renovated AMC Ward Parkway 14 features power recliners in every auditorium. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your movie in luxurious comfort
If you're going to quote something, wouldn't it follow that you would provide a source?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

They were open while remodel happened.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

from an announcement or if you would prefer a press type release.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The wife and I went to see a movie at AMC Ward Parkway for the first time since the renovation. We had a seat in the bar and had a drink prior to the move. My Pale Ale was about $8 or $8.50, but was either 24 or 32 ounces. Not bad really. A smaller size was only a $1 less, so why not upgrade? The bar itself had VERY friendly and attentive bar tenders. It's super small, about 8 stools, with a tiny counter on a railing behind the stools for those who don't mind standing. There was a TV in the corner. I can't emphasize enough how small it is thought. The entire bar (including behind the bar) is about 8 feet by 16 feet.

All in all we came away impressed with the updates. The seats were very comfortable. When we don't feel like going down to Main St. 6, this will be our second option.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Very cool. We'll have to check it out.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AMC Ward Parkway movie complex gets $4 million makeover
It recently spent about four months and nearly $4 million upgrading its AMC Ward Parkway 14 at Ward Parkway Center. The renovated complex officially debuted at 12:01 a.m. today with the premiere of “The Hunger Games.”

The theater, at 8600 Ward Parkway, was one of the nation’s first multiplexes when it opened with two screens in 1963. It last had a major renovation in late 1991.

With the latest overhaul it now has plush leather recliners, new carpet, state-of-the-art digital projection systems, Coca-Cola machines and a MacGuffins Bar & Lounge, where customers 21 and older can order beer, wine or cocktails to drink at the bar or take into the theater. The concession stand also is serving more items, including chicken tenders, mozzarella sticks, french fries, cheese and pepperoni pizza, hot pretzels and ice cream.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports wrote:Dillards and Parking Garage to be torn down start on 6-26 and making way fro new Stuff cna't get new stuff with existing floor plan.
Anyone know what is going in there?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I want to be the first on this:

Ross Dress 4 Less? Bealls? Menards? And so on
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCMax wrote:
mgsports wrote:Dillards and Parking Garage to be torn down start on 6-26 and making way fro new Stuff cna't get new stuff with existing floor plan.
Anyone know what is going in there?

Fro New Stuff - by the people who owned Gigis Wigs.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

The Sports Store is moving to a new space and if you know that they are coming to it might let jsmith@kcstar.com.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The new movie theater is AWESOME. Those are about the most comfortable seats I have ever put my ass in. I would pay several thousand dollars for one of those chairs.

The renovations look really great. Having beer is a nice perk - yea, its a bit pricey, but in line with what they charge at like Kauffman or Arrowhead, and the beers are HUGE (at least two bottles in a big ol cup). Really fantastic experience overall. There was also a surprisingly good crowd on a Monday night, so business seems to be okay.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Last time we went to a movie at Ward Parkway was before the renovation - they had security guards posted in our theatre, which was so out of control with people on cell phones, people getting up and moving around, talking, etc. We swore we'd never go back and now I'm hesitant to talk my other half into trying it again if the movie is ruined by the audience. Has anything changed with that aspect?
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

kcjak wrote:Last time we went to a movie at Ward Parkway was before the renovation - they had security guards posted in our theatre, which was so out of control with people on cell phones, people getting up and moving around, talking, etc. We swore we'd never go back and now I'm hesitant to talk my other half into trying it again if the movie is ruined by the audience. Has anything changed with that aspect?
Did they raise the ticket prices? That might help in the "rude audience" aspect. I went recently too and thought the seats were awesome but I didn't notice the prices. There was security at the entrance, but every movie theater in town seems to have that now.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

kcjak wrote:Last time we went to a movie at Ward Parkway was before the renovation - they had security guards posted in our theatre, which was so out of control with people on cell phones, people getting up and moving around, talking, etc. We swore we'd never go back and now I'm hesitant to talk my other half into trying it again if the movie is ruined by the audience. Has anything changed with that aspect?
We went on a Friday night and had no problems whatsoever. I too remember having some miserable experiences there with loud obnoxious teens talking on phones, etc. We had a good experience a few months ago post reno.