Falls at Crackernack Creek update

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Bass Pro will probably go to Indep area, Eastland update...

Post by trailerkid »

Ditto for the Truman Sports Complex site. Why should the citizens of Missouri pay for land, taxes and road upgrades just so Bass Pro can attempt to enter the KC market?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Someday MoDot and Jeff City will realize that one of the main reasons so much suburban development is occuring in Kansas is because of the lack of infrastructure in MO. The Little Blue Parkway proves that there is demand for nice exits and new arterials as the area mushroomed after the new roads were built.

Same goes for most of I-470 and I-435 in Missouri. There are no support roads along most of it making them just commuter freeways.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote:Someday MoDot and Jeff City will realize that one of the main reasons so much suburban development is occuring in Kansas is because of the lack of infrastructure in MO. The Little Blue Parkway proves that there is demand for nice exits and new arterials as the area mushroomed after the new roads were built.

Same goes for most of I-470 and I-435 in Missouri. There are no support roads along most of it making them just commuter freeways.
Arterials are the resposibility of the cities and counties. Using the Kansas example, it's Overland Park and Johnson County paying for the continual extension of streets like Metcalf, Nall, 119th, 1xx, etc, not KDOT.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I pray this doesnt hurt Cabela's, I still have this horrible dream that Wyandotte county might succeed. As for its presence in Jackson county, I think it would be better out of Jackson county, but by Smithville Lake. This is a fishing store after all.

Does anyone think this would seriously hurt Springfield? I mean come on Bass Pro was almost their only tourist attraction, and given the choice between visiting Springfield and visiting Kansas City, most out of town people would choose KC.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I thought I read somewhere that Columia and St. Louis were getting BPS also. If that is the case, then there would be 4 in the state of Missouri?
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I thought BPS was a specialty store/tourist venue. Are they trying to turn it into Dick's Sporting Goods?

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:I thought I read somewhere that Columia and St. Louis were getting BPS also. If that is the case, then there would be 4 in the state of Missouri?
Columbia is getting one. That's a done deal.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There is one in St. Peters or somewhere in that area and soon to be one in Columbia.

Jackson County has a ton of lakes. They are all over the place out here and many other metro Kansas Citians pass through the county on the way to the mid Missouri Lakes. Nothing like seeing all the Kansas cars on I-70, US 50 & US 71 on Friday and Sundays during the Summer.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The Columbia store is not nearly as big as the one planned for KC. I think it is similar in size to the second metro store that Olathe wanted.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

BPS is putting in stores all over. The big draw used to be that there were not a ton of BPS everywhere. As they open more stores, they will improve their bottom line, but the uniqueness will disappear. That's one of the big draws to Cabellas and NFM, and the hotel/water park in KCK. They are all still rare stores, and people will make a big effort to get to them.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

If Bass Pro goes to Independence, it will take over half the traffic from Cabella's. Cabella's is on the way to nothing and the pass through traffic out there has to be next to nothing on I435 to KCI and near nothing on I70 plus you can't see it from I70. The whole KC area can easily get to 470 and 70 on the way to the lakes and it is much closer to more people for spontanious shopping.

A Bass Pro and IKEA at 470 would really steal KCK's thunder not that I want to steal KCK's thunder.

Even I had no idea there was this much water out here, but when you look at this map, you have to wonder why Cabella's or Bass Pro is not already in eastern Jackson County. Although I think Missourians are more into fishing, skiing, jet skiing, (seems like everyone out here has some sort of water craft in their garage or driveway, wonder why ;)). etc where Kansans are more into Hunting.

cool map:

Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

Actually, Cabela's and Bass {Pro are both specialty stores who have established loyalties among their customer base. The HQ for Cabela's is in Sydney, Nebraska (nowhere's ville, USA) and it has a TREMENDOUS amount of annual traffic. The hunters, fishers, outdoor types make pilgrimages to these places. Cabela's would be ok if Bass Pro moved in next door...let alone 30-40 minutes east of it.

Assuming you're right Walgreens and Osco, Sam's and Costco, Hardee's and McDonalds could never operate in the same town!
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Why does this always break down to a Kansas vs. Missouri? What Wy Co is doing is overall positive for metro tourism. Bass Pro will also be good tourism for the metro. As we root for and against each store because one is in Kansas and one will probably be in Missouri all the money from both ventures is directly piped to an out of town corporation while we pay for the taxes, land and roads of this palaces.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Don't think he was slamming Kansas. Cabella's is too busy for it's own good, many people just avoid the place especially on weekends. There is plenty of room for both even if BP takes a big chuck of Cabella's customers. And it will becaue most people in LS or BS think Cabella's is in Topeka.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

trailerkid wrote:Why does this always break down to a Kansas vs. Missouri? What Wy Co is doing is overall positive for metro tourism. Bass Pro will also be good tourism for the metro. As we root for and against each store because one is in Kansas and one will probably be in Missouri all the money from both ventures is directly piped to an out of town corporation while we pay for the taxes, land and roads of this palaces.
Yeah but does Olathe need one too? So now we have specialty hunting/fishing stores all over the metro. Going from having one, to having three, you cant say that the original won't lose a little business, but Im hoping that Cabela's uniqueness will help it survive.

This brings up another issue. What is it with Olathe? They want everything in their city. I've heard plans for a zoo, a minor league baseball team, a minor league hockey arena, a bass pro shop, and too much more crap, but mostly after other cities in the metro already announced the plans or built them. I know the elected officials there want to make Olathe big, but they have to go through at least 4 other metro cities before they could be #1 and even then they probably still wouldn't compare on arts, culture, community, and location to the others.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Focusing in on something from the original Examiner story...
Sabin Yanez, MoDOT district engineer for the Independence area, said he received a letter from the City of Independence in October informing him that planning was under way for a large project near U.S. 40 and Missouri 291.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Good2Great wrote:Actually, Cabela's and Bass {Pro are both specialty stores who have established loyalties among their customer base. The HQ for Cabela's is in Sydney, Nebraska (nowhere's ville, USA) and it has a TREMENDOUS amount of annual traffic. The hunters, fishers, outdoor types make pilgrimages to these places. Cabela's would be ok if Bass Pro moved in next door...let alone 30-40 minutes east of it.
You're right. And, if the avid outdoorsman is in town or the tourist is traveling through town along I-70, what's not to stop them from visiting BOTH?

I wouldn't mind at all having Cabella's in KCK and Bass Pro in Independence. You really can't get much further apart in the metro than that. However, I must agree with DMW though. I think Olathe is trying to become it's own county. They try too hard to be like every one else in the metro. Not to mention, that weirdo crazy lady Kansas senator Kay O'Connor is from there. Boy, she's cookoo.

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Just so everyone remembers...
Bass Pro announced they were locating in Bannister in October of 2001. And it is Spring of 2004 and there is still not even an announcement of a location.

Bass Pro Shops projected completion date: Spring 2009
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They announced they are going to Independence. They just have not signed a lease.

There was an article in the Examiner Tuesday that said Bas Pro has been sent big proposal by EJC leaders and Modot that included just about everything they could offer including major highway improvements to the area.

They are waiting for a reply.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Independence To Get Bass Pro Shop
Retail Complex To Include Lake, Nature Center, Hotel

POSTED: 8:37 pm CDT June 15, 2004
UPDATED: 9:50 pm CDT June 15, 2004

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. -- A Bass Pro Shop is finally coming to the Kansas City area, KMBC's Kris Ketz reported. A formal announcement is scheduled for 9 a.m. Wednesday.

The sportsman's Mecca will be constructed at the southwest corner of Interstate 70 and Highway 291 in Independence. It will serve as the anchor store of a large retail development planned for the spot.

An 18-acre lake, nature center, hotel and at least three adjacent retail sites will also be constructed, Ketz reported. Developers want to break ground as soon as possible. They are receiving public help for the project in the form of tax-increment financing.

The hunting and fishing industry is a growing market, with more than $100 billion spent each year. And for millions of outdoor enthusiasts nationwide, Bass Pro Shops are the only place to drop a buck.

Like Cabela's near the Kansas Speedway, a Bass Pro Shop would be the kind of retail draw that makes cities drool. Cabela's was the top tourist spot in Kansas for 2002, attracting about 2 million visitors, even though the store was only open for the last five months of the year.

The nearest Bass Pro Shop is currently in Springfield, Mo.