Perceptions of Raytown???

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Perceptions of Raytown???

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote:
chrizow wrote:I normally would decry suburban strip mall development, but i have been actually pleased to see new strip malls built in Raytown in the past few years, gaining decent-enough tenants like Chipotle and Jimmy John's along 350 Hwy. Downtown Raytown seems stagnant - basically unchanged since the 90s.
That Chipotle has armed security guard inside the restaurant. No even a off duty cop, just some dude with a sidearm. Nuff said.

Grid, for a long time I was one of Raytown's biggest defenders. I think you are off base about a) Raytowns current conditions (crime is way up, property values are back at 1993 levels, schools are dropping in rankings every year); and, b) what Raytown is surrounded by. It's crap on the south and east sides but the North and West are still very nice neighborhoods, probably one of Raytown's saving grace.

You could be right there, I'm not ther enough to know about crime and property value, but has this been a recent trend? I'm just now starting to hear frustraition from my parents as they are thinking of lee's summit which surprised me.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

my parents would be very lucky to sell their house in 2013 for the same price they bought it for in 1980.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

another good point, if you look at population moves there were a lot of black people that saw raytown as a step up from east KC and moved there. it was the #1 destination 2000-2010

that says something positive in comparison to parts of KC
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

flyingember wrote:another good point, if you look at population moves there were a lot of black people that saw raytown as a step up from east KC and moved there. it was the #1 destination 2000-2010

that says something positive in comparison to parts of KC
a lot of the black population sees Raytown, Grandview, and the Center SD as a step up from places like 27 & Prospect, those districts have full accreditation unlike the Hickman Mills SD, and they scare away the longtime white residents when they move in, the children of those people move to places like Raymore and Lees Summit or Johnson County if they can afford it,
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

=D> =D> =D>
AllThingsKC wrote:Image
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

pstokely wrote:they scare away the longtime white residents when they move in, the children of those people move to places like Raymore and Lees Summit or Johnson County if they can afford it,
Impossible. Racism is over. I read it on the internet.