Parking Garage

Raymart Neighborhood Market

Post by Raytown Phoenix »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Raymart Neighborhood Market

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Sometimes a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Turn down a Neighborhood Market for something that may or may not happen, and if it does happen it would be in the distant future. If they don't want a Neighborhood Market then the opposition better start now on an alternative.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's interesting that the argument is shaping up around the form of the store and not over what effect it might have on local buisnesses.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I liked the quote about a grocery store not fitting into downtown interesting
"That becomes the image of your community, rather than the neighborhood character and downtown feel that we've been trying to develop for a long time," Frank said.
versus how downtown KC cheered when it got a grocery store.

I know Liberty used to have one two blocks off the square. it was a neighborhood service and was part of the image. now everyone has to drive further and it's sat empty or under utilized off and on over the years

If I were Raytown I'd say yes and focus heavy on design. Because quite frankly, it's a step up from the character that area has. A big empty lot flanked by big parking lots doubtless isn't the character they want.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

chaglang wrote:It's interesting that the argument is shaping up around the form of the store and not over what effect it might have on local buisnesses.
Most of the arguments I've heard are about how it might affect local businesses. Seems like pretty much everyone in Raytown realized how screwed they got by the deal to build the new Walmart on 350.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Sometimes a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Turn down a Neighborhood Market for something that may or may not happen, and if it does happen it would be in the distant future. If they don't want a Neighborhood Market then the opposition better start now on an alternative.
See Mission, KS.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote:I liked the quote about a grocery store not fitting into downtown interesting
"That becomes the image of your community, rather than the neighborhood character and downtown feel that we've been trying to develop for a long time," Frank said.
versus how downtown KC cheered when it got a grocery store.

I know Liberty used to have one two blocks off the square. it was a neighborhood service and was part of the image. now everyone has to drive further and it's sat empty or under utilized off and on over the years

If I were Raytown I'd say yes and focus heavy on design. Because quite frankly, it's a step up from the character that area has. A big empty lot flanked by big parking lots doubtless isn't the character they want.
Yeah, except Raytown's downtown and KC's downtown have pretty much nothing in common. If they're going to build something, they should do it where the Thriftway/Save-A-Lot was at 63rd and Raytown Trafficway (~3 blocks away). Tons more traffic there too.
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

Raytown Phoenix wrote:Power to the people....

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=716 ... 73da95181d
The newish Mass St. Dillons in Lawrence would be a good project to use as a goal for this Raytown Walmart grocery store. I think a new grocery in downtown Raytown would draw more local people there that might support the other businesses. But Raytown is not Mass St.

Old (bad) Mass St. Dillons: http://goo.gl/maps/g5qWJ

New (good) Mass St. Dillons: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/apr/2 ... etts-stre/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Good project for Raytown, if the locals are against this, they are stupid.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

slimwhitman wrote:
Raytown Phoenix wrote:Power to the people....

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=716 ... 73da95181d
The newish Mass St. Dillons in Lawrence would be a good project to use as a goal for this Raytown Walmart grocery store. I think a new grocery in downtown Raytown would draw more local people there that might support the other businesses. But Raytown is not Mass St.

Old (bad) Mass St. Dillons: http://goo.gl/maps/g5qWJ

New (good) Mass St. Dillons: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/apr/2 ... etts-stre/
The new Dillons is a bit too oversized for that space - two stories? Those drawings make it look smaller than it actually is. Driving by, it doesn't fit well with the surrounding stuff. It's also shoved up against one end of the lot and putting the entrance on the side feels a bit weird too.

This whole Raytown Walmart thing is stupid. Frankly, they should just be glad to get something in that space after it's been vacant so long. Looking at that one site, wanting 200 - 400k sq. ft. of building space on 160k is pretty silly for Raytown considering I'm pretty sure there's more dense than anywhere else around there (density isn't a bad thing though...).
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »