Official: 87th Street Bioscience Park

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Official: 87th Street Bioscience Park

Post by slimwhitman »

This is what it will look like when complete:

Ha! ....made you look! (This is borrowed from the Street of Metcalf proposal)

This will end up an isolated and dowdy light industrial park. But "Mixed Use Development" sounds better. More 1% income tax for the city coffers is good.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Great project. So nice to see some sort of infill / redevelopment and it just might spark interest in the bannister mall site and get something go in there.
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

Yesterday I talked to one of the workers at the construction site near 82nd(rr tracks) and Indiana. They are building a new salt dome to replace the one currently at the 87th st site. No word on Modot yet.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Since I was bored, I looked over the Parcel Viewer information for the area:

The blue dots are people who haven't sold their houses. The huge chunk in the middle is the KC salt dome. The big round parcel up north is for the KSHB tower. Besides that, all land north of what Oxford has now is owned by the county.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Stowers' 350-acre biotech park plan heads to City Hall
Oxford on the Blue, a project designed to transform a 350-acre swath of south Kansas City into a mixed-used development anchored by biotech research facilities, is headed for City Hall.

Whitney Kerr Sr., a veteran commercial real estate broker with Cassidy Turley who helped assemble the acreage, said project developer Jim Stowers III">Jim Stowers III will seek rezoning for Oxford on the Blue during a Kansas City Plan Commission public hearing within the next couple of months.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Backers of biotech office park seek KC tax breaks

Oxford on the Blue faces hearing next week

http://www.kmbc.com/news/backers-of-bio ... 22#!bOcuVa
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

Oxford on the Blue has a website now: http://www.oxfordontheblue.com Some utility work has taken place on 87th St near the entrance to the site of the former Modot facility but I don't know if it was related to this project. I can say however that at that same entrance is now a large wooden sign for Oxford on the Blue. The Tropical Palms banquet hall was recently demolished and there are only one or two houses left on Drury Ave and 86th St, both unoccupied.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Does anyone know what software they use to show the topography of the site in that video?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So this is going to be Cernerville?
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

Hickman Mills schools aren't really that desirable, but children of highly educated Cerner employees would probably raise the test scores
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

This still seems like a loser to me. Marginal schools, no vitality anywhere around, bombed out neighboring uses, challenging topography. There is good reason this land never developed in the first place. It seems like more incentivized development that wont help KC progress.

Now I see the developing Three Trails Industrial Park across the street and it shows us how uninspiring we can expect all development in the area to be:

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I'm on the team that would prefer everything go downtown if it can, however... How is biz tax appropriated for KCMO. Do certain districts retain biz tax collected or does it go to general city fund that is then distributed on some other basis. That is, if all this development in S KC retains tax revenue specific to the area (or S KC in general) then I could see it being a long term boost to S KC. But they need better design that that takes S KC towards the future of smart development (mixed use neighborhoods), not more 80s office parks.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Only if there is a specific taxing district, like TIF or TOD. Otherwise it all goes to the city's General Fund or other special funds like anywhere else in the city. Then it becomes a political decision as to how and where to spend.