Unity Village area of KCMO

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Unity Village area of KCMO

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Well, GRID, I guess this is one of the times we are in agreement.

Hope you don't have to change your pants.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
jpbkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jpbkc »

Keep this area the way it is.  It is the last piece of country in KCMO.  Most of this area has been left undistrubed for 50+ years.  I live near this area and it is nice to drive up and down Noland and the adjoining roads and enjoy the scenery. It is like stepping back into history.  I think the Little Blue community is neat with its old storefront properties. Reinhart road is also a neat place to drive.

Every single piece of land does NOT have to be developed.  I have heard of various developments for this area from Knob town north to 40 highway.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep this area like it is.

If property owners and developers want to sell the land then the state, county, or city should step in to acquire these properties and eventually make them into park land.

Another area nearby that should have been saved is the Stephenson farm area along Lee's Summit rd south of 40.  Most of this has been or will be developed. 

So much of our history has been lost due to development.  Instead of ruining what is left to create more development, we should preserve what is left and focus attention on revitalizing existing areas.  If existing areas are kept up, then people won't need to build new homes and businesses in areas such as the Little Blue Valley.
Autokintron
Surface Lot

Post by Autokintron »

"Or keep it rural and watch Lee’s Summit grow to become larger than KCMO is south of the river in 20 years and wonder wtf happened since you have rural land “in the city”.

Hope that doesn't start to happen in LS.  The city isn't prepared to deal with that kind of growth, the infrastructure just isn't there.  They're stretching it thin to deal with normal expansion.

Lee's Summit needs the cities around them to cut down on development to the east so it can keep its own character.  Meaning no creeping gang/slum life and all associated activities associated with it.  LS already has problems dealing with the section 8 housing it has foolishly allowed recently.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Autokintron wrote: LS already has problems dealing with the section 8 housing it has foolishly allowed recently.
Where is this happening?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

see inside the renovated tower tomorrow: http://unityvillage.org/tower
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Sometime last year, Unity Village de-annexed 350 acres of their land and Lee's Summit took it over. Unity still owns the land for now, but they're trying to sell it for development.

Anyways, the city even developed a plan for the land. It's here: http://cityofls.net/Development/Economi ... lage).aspx. Looks like 1.2M of office and a hotel. I guess they're moving Blue Parkway right now, so at least a bit is off the ground.
jpbkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jpbkc »

Keep Noland Rd the way it is. It is the country in the KCMO city limits. Much of this area has been left untouched for 50+ years. Every inch of land does not need to be developed. When you drive down that road you are driving back in time. The old Central School that was one of the schools that predated the Raytown School district is still standing and had been converted to a house. The old town of Little Blue with its old buildings is like passing through a time tunnel to the early 20th century. The rolling hills reminds you of the Ozarks. Leave it the way it is please.

The development that KCMO needs is to redevelop old areas that are run down and blighted. When all the old blighted areas closer to the inner core are fully redeveloped and are full with businesses and residences then you can look at possibly developing areas such as this if more growth is needed. I do believe If KCMO fully redevelops blighted areas there will be no need to develop any new areas for decades if ever.
2000_Watts
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 2000_Watts »

I'm thinking the rationale behind developing the Little Blue River Valley is that had it been already developed, already developed areas further out would not have been developed. Existing development further from the core puts a strain on the environment and regional infrastructure.

People like their suburbs. Suburban development near big cities is inevitable. Given the proximity of the Little Blue River Valley to the core of the city, most, including me, would argue that it should have been developed decades ago. Had this been the case, development in areas further out would have either not occurred, or delayed until necessary. BECAUSE more distant areas have already been developed, this puts unnecessary strain on surrounding infrastructure.

Developing Little Blue River Valley would actually HELP by filling in and improving a massive gap in our region's infrastructure, reducing the need to create new. If we gotta build suburbs, let's at least TRY to be smart about it.

Besides, if you want the actual country, you only have to travel about 20 min further east down highway(s) 350/50. Can't have your country AND city conveniences/services, too. Gotta pick one!