Hotel at Sports Complex will get $40M makeover

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Blue Ridge Mall / Wal-Mart

Post by shinatoo »

kcdcchef wrote: i only met one, i thought he was there from like 1988-1993 or something.

the fuckhead in hr's name was don russell, a real fucking clueless idiot. a real dump, they hired like 8 chefs away from hyatt during my several years at hyatt. amazing that they all kept going, even knowing they were making a mistake and would be fired in 6 months.

the thing that made me laugh was the fact that even after all the years of ineptness, and all the years of the place being so mismanaged and so horrible, they still managed to keep a full scale bake shop in operation there. the last full hotel in kansas city to have a full bake shop, with home made danish, cookies, cakes, pies, desserts, etc.

Let me tell you how inept they were. My last week there, they started training me to be the FnB director. I was the freaking AV manager for the conference center! In that one week I got four waitress to quit.

Glorious.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

shinatoo wrote: Let me tell you how inept they were. My last week there, they started training me to be the FnB director. I was the freaking AV manager for the conference center! In that one week I got four waitress to quit.

Glorious.
SAD.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

hotel renovations & indoor water park @ TSC

Post by Gretz »

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... rround=lfn

Council endoresed at $56 million project and with abatements to refurbish a hotel and add a 40K sq ft indoor water park.  Abatements would not apply to the park, only the hotel.  Details for this and three other projects approved by the council in the article.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Hotel at Sports Complex will get $40M makeover

Post by GRID »

Well, this hotel looks awesome now.  Having such a large structure become a Clarion was just flat out sad.  It looks much nicer with the new windows, new paint, the massive new convention center, water park building out back and even the new "Sheraton" signs on top.  I know a lot of people couldn't care less, but this is the first impression of Kansas City to a ton of visitors to our city that choose to stay out by the stadiums.
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

I haven't been over there, but it's good to hear that the place looks good.  That hotel was an embarassment, and, you're right, it was a real gateway.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

i was there in late summer for a conference, the place was in sad shape. i was very excited to hear sheraton was taking it over. no way will they own a dump visable from the highway and two major kc attractions. now all they need to do is remove the denny's...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcdcchef wrote: the fuckhead in hr's name was don russell, a real fucking clueless idiot. a real dump, they hired like 8 chefs away from hyatt during my several years at hyatt.
How do you really feel?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Sussudio wrote: i was there in late summer for a conference, the place was in sad shape. i was very excited to hear sheraton was taking it over. no way will they own a dump visable from the highway and two major kc attractions. now all they need to do is remove the denny's...
Why would you remove one of the only viable and successful businesses in the area?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: Why would you remove one of the only viable and successful businesses in the area?
The Royals?

:lol:
KC is the way to be!
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

AllThingsKC wrote: The Royals?

so true...and how about that makeover on kauffman...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

AllThingsKC wrote: The Royals?

They Royals aren't viable.  If they were, there'd have been no need for the 225M in tax dollars they were subsidized with.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

i'm not really down with the renovations with the Royals, but it looks like they're replacing the K. i thought it looked fine...maybe i have bad taste?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Come May, the Independence area will claim the Midwest's largest indoor water park.

The distinction will become official May 16 when the Kansas City Sheraton Sports Complex Hotel's Coco Key Water Resort will open. It's part of $42 million in improvements that include a renovated hotel as well as the 65,000-square-foot addition that houses the water park.

The water park features slides, wooden walking bridges and a floating area that will include private cabana rooms for families to stake out for a day of swimming.

Hungry swimmers can refuel at kid-friendly spots such as Pizza Hut and A&W while adults can partake of fare at a bar and grill. Each eating establishment is marked by separate facades featuring projecting wood-shake roofs designed to give the area a Key West flavor, said hotel Manager Ted Frerking.
For those that might be interested, that about 1/3 larger than the Great Wolf Lodge water park :)

http://www.examiner.net/stories/021608/ ... 1462.shtml
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

I had no idea about this water park until I talked to a friend of mine that applied with the Sheraton to do marketing for it.  The official website for the water park is:

http://www.cocokeywaterresort.com/index ... ity/index/

I haven't had much time to talk to her about details, but I should find out more very soon.  Who would have thought a midwest city would have so many water parks?!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Did anyone else notice that Sheraton has several of these waterparks now? The list Chicago
, Boston, cincinati, columbus and Omaha among other cities.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

justin8216 wrote: Did anyone else notice that Sheraton has several of these waterparks now? The list Chicago
, Boston, cincinati, columbus and Omaha among other cities.
yeah, but for some reason i dont think this hotel is part of the starwood brand. I thought it was a franchisee. as, it has been 3 different hotels in 5 years, that to me screams franchise. but perhaps i am wrong here??
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, but for some reason i dont think this hotel is part of the starwood brand. I thought it was a franchisee. as, it has been 3 different hotels in 5 years, that to me screams franchise. but perhaps i am wrong here??
I'd say its a franchise.  Another thing I've noticed is that the promotional fly-through video on the page is the exact same for everyone of the other locations.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I wish we could get a new hotel in this area.  There is plenty of land right across from the stadium.  I'm amazed that there is not a bunch of offramp hotels around the stadiums like there is near Worlds of Fun.

Anybody know why?  Does Jackson County and or that Church have a bunch of land and won't sell?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: I wish we could get a new hotel in this area.  There is plenty of land right across from the stadium.  I'm amazed that there is not a bunch of offramp hotels around the stadiums like there is near Worlds of Fun.

Anybody know why?  Does Jackson County and or that Church have a bunch of land and won't sell?
it is ONLY because the stadium is in the burbs GRID. had the stadium been built in downtown, this would not be an issue. stupid glasshole, taxson county voters, and what the hell, LIEweke too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well, the stadium will be there for a while.  I really do wish the city and county would do something to fix up the Blue Ridge Cutoff corridor.  Even the basics like sidewalks, street lights, landscaping etc.  To many of our visitors, this is our first and sometimes only impression.

BTW chef, I got my season tix yesterday, one day before the singles go on sale :).