Hotel at Sports Complex will get $40M makeover

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Hotel at Sports Complex will get $40M makeover

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: Well, the stadium will be there for a while.  I really do wish the city and county would do something to fix up the Blue Ridge Cutoff corridor.  Even the basics like sidewalks, street lights, landscaping etc.  To many of our visitors, this is our first and sometimes only impression.

BTW chef, I got my season tix yesterday, one day before the singles go on sale :).
yeah, i hear ya. the only impression many get of kc is the tsc, and it needs love, and not just stadium renos either. the county and state can and should pitch in for basic infastructure in that area.

i just got my royals yankees tickets for june in ny, and my opening day tix in kc are paid for now too.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

If you think about it, there's not a lot of high quality eating establishments nearby or shopping or much of anything. I've worked in that area for the last year now, so I'm rather familiar with the local establishments and can say I've never really been impressed. I know they're trying to make the I-70 and 40-Hwy area more consumer friendly, but I think some good businesses right at Blue Ridge wouldn't hurt.

Just a thought. If not, DT is always a hop away.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

GRID wrote: I wish we could get a new hotel in this area.  There is plenty of land right across from the stadium.  I'm amazed that there is not a bunch of offramp hotels around the stadiums like there is near Worlds of Fun.

Anybody know why?  Does Jackson County and or that Church have a bunch of land and won't sell?
My best friends aunt and uncle own the property on the hilly bluff south of Arrowhead, down on the corner by Raytown Road.  I know they would LOVE to sell the place, but have run into difficulties.  It used to be the family homestead and had a huge farm house that may or may not still be there.  It had a second house that was more of a mobile home in the back of the property where their mother lived in her old age.  Way way back in the property there is a creek lined with an old rock wall and the remnants of a mill of some sort.  Not sure what type of mill, but it's very small and all that remains is a rock two story structure with no floors, no roof.  From what my friend tells me, the area is so rocky and hard to access that corner, no one wants to buy it.  Their property is now a dumping ground for tires and other trash.  An arsonist burned the old mobile home several years ago.  Next to their property is some type of audio/visual place which also posed a problem.  Apparently they have run into issues because of right of ways, easements etc, that make access to my friends property "legally difficult."  I guess they threw a tizzy once when some construction type trucks used their little driveway for access.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yea, I know the land south of the complex is nearly impossible to develop, but there is plenty of land along the cuttoff and basically around the interchange with I-70 that could be developed or re-developed.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: Yea, I know the land south of the complex is nearly impossible to develop, but there is plenty of land along the cuttoff and basically around the interchange with I-70 that could be developed or re-developed.
I wonder if the teams themselves would resist development around the stadium. Any development around the stadium means more places to park outside the TSC, which cuts into the team profits.

I really can't think of any other reasons why the area around there hasn't been developed more. If there is a development, they need to make the place way more pedestrian accessible too. Its a hazard to try to cross the street, and the pedestrian access across I-70 is ridiculously tight.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

A couple of photos:

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

You moan about KC's lack of "can-do" attitude Grid, then you turn around and talk about how important Coco Key is.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: I really can't think of any other reasons why the area around there hasn't been developed more. If there is a development, they need to make the place way more pedestrian accessible too. Its a hazard to try to cross the street, and the pedestrian access across I-70 is ridiculously tight.
Its no surprise - almost none of the 60/70's era, parking lot island stadiums ever spurred economic development around them.  The very design concept discourages it.  In fact many of those stadiums were notorious for just how scuzzy and unappealing their surroundings became - go take a look at what surrounds the parking lots of the TSC's "two stadium in one giant parking lot" twin in Oaktown. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Maitre D wrote:

You moan about KC's lack of "can-do" attitude Grid, then you turn around and talk about how important Coco Key is.
Huh?  It’s a major project and I follow major projects.  I do consider it an important project as the hotel tower was well on its way to becoming one hell of a major eyesore along one of the main entryways into the KC area.  Nothing like an 18 story super 8 or even worse, vacant building alongside one of our busiest freeways to show everybody that KC is alive and well.

Anyway, I think I’m going to step away from the forum for a while.  Development in KC is really starting to wrap up as the West Edge and Performing Arts Center are the last two major projects we will see for several years.

I need to spend less time here as I have plenty of other things to do.  I think I will post one more topic on KC transit and take a vacation. Take care all, I will return.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

GRID wrote: Huh?  It’s a major project and I follow major projects.  I do consider it an important project as the hotel tower was well on its way to becoming one hell of a major eyesore along one of the main entryways into the KC area.  Nothing like an 18 story super 8 or even worse, vacant building alongside one of our busiest freeways to show everybody that KC is alive and well.

Yes.  We need TSC to look good, so visitors won't notice the miles of crack-houses lining I-70 as you drive towards DT.

Anyway, I think I’m going to step away from the forum for a while.  Development in KC is really starting to wrap up as the West Edge and Performing Arts Center are the last two major projects we will see for several years.
True dat.  Go to the Sports or General forum if you're bored.  It's fun.

I need to spend less time here as I have plenty of other things to do.  I think I will post one more topic on KC transit and take a vacation. Take care all, I will return.

Obviously.  Everyone returns.  The Cook will eventually worm his way back, when the KU title wears off a bit more.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Anyway, I think I’m going to step away from the forum for a while.
Take care Grid, and come back ASAP.  Your posts and photos are some of my favorites on the forum.  I don't think you'll be gone for too long ;)
are we spinning free?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

rxlexi wrote: Take care Grid, and come back ASAP.  Your posts and photos are some of my favorites on the forum.  I don't think you'll be gone for too long ;)
Just start a thread bashing KCMO in comparison to the KS side. That will get him back here in no time.  :)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

rxlexi wrote: Take care Grid, and come back ASAP.  Your posts and photos are some of my favorites on the forum.  I don't think you'll be gone for too long ;)
Thanks man.  I’m going to redirect most of the time I spend on this site to my personal sites(among other things).  Something I should have done a long time ago.

One thing I plan on doing soon is cleaning up my site and making things easier to find.  I hope to make the construction page one of the first things I update.

Just go to http://imageevent.com/kcphotos/construction for updates of area projects.

You can also catch me on skyscraperpage where I post often.

I changed my mind on posting another thread in the transit section.  I’ve pretty much said all I can say there.  I just hope this town doesn’t build its entire light rail line on city streets, puts a lot more effort into building up the bus system, including upgrading the vehicles like buying real brt buses, commuter coaches etc and building real transit infrastructure like park and rides and transit centers that match a city this size.  20 miles of light rail on city streets is a disaster in the making and building 20 miles of light rail and all this commuter rail and almost ignoring the bus system will be even worse.

I’m out.  Getting ready to meet up with some people from the Lou for the game, gotta go. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: I changed my mind on posting another thread in the transit section.  I’ve pretty much said all I can say there.  I just hope this town doesn’t build its entire light rail line on city streets, puts a lot more effort into building up the bus system, including upgrading the vehicles like buying real brt buses, commuter coaches etc and building real transit infrastructure like park and rides and transit centers that match a city this size.  20 miles of light rail on city streets is a disaster in the making and building 20 miles of light rail and all this commuter rail and almost ignoring the bus system will be even worse.
So very true.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

The give-away yesterday at the Royals game?   A free admission to kids under 10, to COCO KEY.

I about died laughing.   How fugging lame is this city, that our biggest weekend for our MLB team, the giveaway is for some lame, struggling "water resort" at the hotel across the street from the parking lagoon.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: The give-away yesterday at the Royals game?  A free admission to kids under 10, to COCO KEY.

I about died laughing.  How fugging lame is this city, that our biggest weekend for our MLB team, the giveaway is for some lame, struggling "water resort" at the hotel across the street from the parking lagoon.
Yes, I've long thought the stature of a city should be judged on the giveaways by its local baseball team.

Why give away good stuff when the game is already going to be sold out regardless? That's stupid.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Why give away good stuff when the game is already going to be sold out regardless? That's stupid.
Yeah, rather sad that they had to offer a give away at all this weekend.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Maitre D wrote: The give-away yesterday at the Royals game?   A free admission to kids under 10, to COCO KEY.

I about died laughing.   How fugging lame is this city, that our biggest weekend for our MLB team, the giveaway is for some lame, struggling "water resort" at the hotel across the street from the parking lagoon.
Plus, do you really want 50% of the fans at the game throwing away some royal player giveaway? Can you imagine what the Cards fans would do with a TPJ bobblehead?
LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah, rather sad that they had to offer a give away at all this weekend.
They didn't have to. Do you really think Cards fans came out for the giveaway? Plenty of legitimate reasons to bag on this franchise - don't think partnering with local businesses for a sunday afternoon kids giveaway is one of them.

I didn't get anything on Friday or Sunday.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Why give away good stuff when the game is already going to be sold out regardless? That's stupid.
Because the businesses are the ones making the decision when to promo, not the team.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Maitre D wrote: Because the businesses are the ones making the decision when to promo, not the team.
People willing to drive across to KC for the Cards/Royals series are perfect candidates for people who may want to make a return trip for another series and do something else (like go to a water park). Especially on a Sunday game that will have a lot of kids (Kids Run and Bob Evans crap).

Actually makes perfect sense.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.