Hotel at Sports Complex will get $40M makeover

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hotel at Sports Complex will get $40M makeover

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: Because the businesses are the ones making the decision when to promo, not the team.
Then I don't know what you're complaining about. The Royals decided not to give away their good stuff, because the game was going to be sold out anyway. Coco Key wanted to do the promo, because it was a chance to get their name out to 35,000 people, many of which are Missourians not from Kansas City who are more likely to stay in a hotel in Kansas City next time they visit. Seems like smart decisions to me.

Edit: What WSPanic said!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Then I don't know what you're complaining about. The Royals decided not to give away their good stuff, because the game was going to be sold out anyway. Coco Key wanted to do the promo, because it was a chance to get their name out to 35,000 people, many of which are Missourians not from Kansas City who are more likely to stay in a hotel in Kansas City next time they visit. Seems like smart decisions to me.

Edit: What WSPanic said!

So many problems with this post.

1.  It shows the pathetic biz community here that the best giveaway we could put forth was some dumb "water resort" in a hotel.

2.  It's not even a give-away.   It's a coupon.  You have to physically do something to get the prize, unlike typical give-aways.   Making it very lame.

3.  It's beyond absurd that even a tiny sliver of Cards fans from around the state are coming back to KC anytime soon, now that the series is over.   They're not.   How many times do you go to STL?    And just for a freakin lame-ass hotel water park, no less.....nope.   
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: So many problems with this post.

1.  It shows the pathetic biz community here that the best giveaway we could put forth was some dumb "water resort" in a hotel.
That's obviously NOT the best givaway they could put forth. Again, why would you put forth your BEST giveaway on a day the game is already sold out? What would you have expected? The Billy Butler jerseys? What giveaway would make sense when the game is already sold out?
Maitre D wrote: 2.  It's not even a give-away.  It's a coupon.  You have to physically do something to get the prize, unlike typical give-aways.  Making it very lame.
I won't debate the lameness, but it sounds like a pretty typical promotion.
Maitre D wrote: 3.  It's beyond absurd that even a tiny sliver of Cards fans from around the state are coming back to KC anytime soon, now that the series is over.  They're not.  How many times do you go to STL?    And just for a freakin lame-ass hotel water park, no less.....nope. 
I go to St. Louis at least once a year. I would guess many of these Cardinals fans travel to Kansas City. At the very least there's a good chance they'll be back for the game next year. And they now know about a place near the stadium that has a water park. That's just smart promotion.

What would have been a good idea in your mind? I'm just baffled as to why you're picking on this other than you love making potshots at this community and this team.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Maitre D wrote:
So many problems with this post.

2.  It's not even a give-away.   It's a coupon.  You have to physically do something to get the prize, unlike typical give-aways.   Making it very lame.

3.  It's beyond absurd that even a tiny sliver of Cards fans from around the state are coming back to KC anytime soon, now that the series is over.   They're not.   How many times do you go to STL?    And just for a freakin lame-ass hotel water park, no less.....nope.   
Your unwillingness to accept even the most sound argument is better-suited to Big XII bickering.

1. Who ever said this was the best offer we had? This goes to your standard "KC is a cowtown and should be embarassed by X" argument you put in EVERY thread. A local business with a logical tie-in to car travelers approaches the Royals for a promotion to help their business. This isn't that hard to understand. I thought you had some sort of business background?

2. It's a promotion. There are no rules saying it has to be a giveaway. It was Bob Evans family pack day and kids run. It's really not hard to make the connection between kids events and a water park.

3. It's even more ridiculous for you to assume that everyone wearing red in the stands was from St. Louis. Or, that everyone wearing blue was from KC. There are plenty of people that drove in from less than two hours away for this series. These are most certainly candidates for people who make multiple trips to KC in a given year.

I don't even understand what point you are trying to make. Is the F5 button on your computer automatically programmed to make a post that contradicts whatever was posted before?
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Hey, you guys like the Coco-Key "giveaway".   Good for you, apparently this spoke to you as consumers and the Royals/Adams Mark really nailed it.

The Cardinals (and I do hate comparing the Royals to them obv) have a monthly give-away for a free ticket to Six Flags for kids.   Wow.   Let's see here, Six Flags, or coco-key?   Six Flags....coco-key.

That said, the Royals actually ahve a pretty good promo schedule this year.  The Tues give-aways (keyword, give-away) are top notch and MLB-quality.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Would a ticket to Great Wolf Lodge been better/worse/same?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Max enjoying the Coco Key amenities:

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kansas City Holiday Inn with CoCo Key water park heads to auction block
The property and nine other hotels anchored by CoCo Key Water Resort-brand water parks are set for a Feb. 15 online sale, according to Auction.com.

The opening bid for the property is set at $1.9 million; CoCo Key developer Wave Development LLC of Milwaukee values the property on its website at $53 million.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looks like they got into trouble building the water park.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

FangKC wrote: Looks like they got into trouble building the water park.
I think a lot of indoor water parks are in trouble. Great Wolf, as a chain, are doing poorly financially.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Anyone know the result of the auction?  They believed it was a $40 million property with a beginning bid of $1.5 million.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Anyone know the result of the auction? 
According to http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... o-key.html, the winning bid and bidder should be public later this month, after the filthy lucre changes hands.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Holiday Inn-CoCo Key hotel will get $2M upgrade

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... a=e_du_pub
There is no fifth destination.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It looks like this hotel will be converted back to an Adams Mark Hotel according to the CoCo Key Website, I was hoping it would still be a holiday inn so I could use my points for an overnight water park stay.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Reading your post made me remember. I went to the first Wednesday night game and the hotel may have already had Adam's Mark signage (think that was April 8). I may have also been drunk.

I guess Maitre D was right - the promo "giveaway" in 2008 really killed the water park/hotel.

EDIT: WTF - you can't use an "8" w/a close parentheses without triggering some annoying emoticrap?!?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WSPanic wrote:Reading your post made me remember. I went to the first Wednesday night game and the hotel may have already had Adam's Mark signage (think that was April 8). I may have also been drunk.

I guess Maitre D was right - the promo "giveaway" in 2008 really killed the water park/hotel.

EDIT: WTF - you can't use an "8" w/a close parentheses without triggering some annoying emoticrap?!?
When this happens you can disable smilies in the options below, FYI.