The Citadel Plaza project at E. 63rd & Prospect

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

The Citadel Plaza project at E. 63rd & Prospect

Post by FangKC »

A news story on Channel 9 regarding asbestos removal at several homes being demolished at 62nd and Park brought my attention to a project of which I was unaware. I didn't find any mention of it in the forum, so I'm posting the details and links. It's near Research Medical Center at Bruce Watkins Dr. and E. 63rd Street.

From the JSA-Architects Web site:

Citadel Plaza

Citadel Plaza, a “hybridâ€
Attachments
citadel_plaza_3[1].jpg
citadel_plaza_1[1].jpg
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: The Citadel Plaza project at E. 63rd & Prospect

Post by FangKC »

I think the best aspect of this project is that it might bring another grocery store to the east side.  Although I would also like to see something like this -- with a HyVee or Price Chopper perhaps --near Prospect and Linwood, 31st and Troost, or the Paseo and Admiral Blvd., this is a good redevelopment project for the east side.
Attachments
Citadel.jpg
citadel_plaza_6[1].jpg
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

That area is really underutilized. The Nazarene site could be a potential boon. What is going on at 63rd and Citadel? Housing/retail?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I see from their site that this is considered a "hybrid" of standard parking lagoon-fronted retail and a lifestyle center like Zona Rosa. The built environment of this idea seems more than a tad underwhelming when so much better could be done.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Most people don't know it but that empty green area immediately to the west of this project is unlikely to ever get developed, as it contains a hidden historic cemetery with the graves of early settlers including Daniel Morgan Boone (Daniel Boone's son), whose own son I believe was a Westport founder.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Also a fairly significant flood plain as far west as abutting the police station, I believe.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

considering how inconsiderate much of the redevelopment is over there ie linwood and prospect, this is an improvement, but it's still obnoxiously autocentric.
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

warwickland wrote: considering how inconsiderate much of the redevelopment is over there ie linwood and prospect, this is an improvement, but it's still obnoxiously autocentric.
I certainly hope that developers (redevelopers?) realize that these neighborhoods are predominantly pedestrian and build things accordingly (although do they have that option given KC codes?)  Very frustrating.  We need to get that fixed ASAP to keep more neighborhoods from being bastardized and take another 50 years to improve...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You need to drive over and take a look at that location. It's hardly a pedestrian environment--nor was it ever built as such. Most of that area was built up after the car became a consideration in development.  So there really isn't a pedestrian environment in which to return.  However, it would be nice if there were. ;-)  Hospitals like Research Medical Center are job centers, so it would be nice if they added some high-density housing for the workers.  A couple of 10-story apartment buildings and some row houses might be nice.  I'd also love to see a large sq. footage retail or grocery store (like illustrated) built with the apartment buildings attached to them, or on top of them.  This is especially convenient for seniors who no longer drive.

If I were going to do a large-scale mixed use development, I would build a big grocery store with four apartment towers on each corner and market to retired people. It's on the bus line; a major highway (71); across the street from a hospital, doctors, and a church; near a police station, the stadiums, and the Social Security office. Swope Park, Starlight Theatre, the zoo, five golf courses, and seven cemeteries are nearby. I'd also include an large parking garage, extended care retirement village, and nursing home.  I think it would be especially successful if there were a 24-hour grocery store with a pharmacy, bank, and a cafe. I'd try and get an optical shop, chiropractor, dentist, and hair salon. A secure landscaped garden could be put up on the roof with walking track, shuffleboard, tennis and basketball courts.  I'd include a swimming pool and health club/spa for residents. I'd also try and get the city and Feds to place a public library, community center, and post office onsite.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This project is back on track and will have a grocery and other tenants.  The first phase is 200,000 sq ft.  A second phase should begin construction this fall.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

State, developer work out settlement in Citadel Plaza asbestos case
It will cost the developer of a large retail and residential project in Kansas City $450,000 for violating Missouri asbestos laws, according to a settlement agreement with the state.

Of that amount, $100,000 will go into green initiatives that could turn Citadel Plaza from a contaminated tract into one of the most visionary environmental projects in the city.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if there will be rain gardens?    :D
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Yeah, they wrecked out a lot of very cool, "good bones" bungalows for this, I wish they'd step up. You should have seen the wood work that came out of there. Literally irreplacable, and I think a lot of it is now in a landfill.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Pitch: Your Tax Dollars Not at Work
Ewing lives in a five-bedroom house on Park Avenue, where homes were to be leveled to make way for Citadel Plaza. The 40-year-old Sprint employee says she got a letter from the Community Development Corporation of Kansas City in October 2006, telling her that the developers intended to buy her out. Ewing says her house has been in her family for 37 years, so when the CDC-KC offered her $42,000 to move, she said, "No way."

She expected a negotiation. But in the past year, she hasn't heard again from the CDC-KC. She has listened to the rumble of backhoes and bulldozers, though, as the organization continued demolition on her street. "They call our neighborhood blight, but look what they've turned it into," she says.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

TIF commission OKs $90 million project at 63rd & Prospect

The $90.5 million Citadel Plaza redevelopment plan which would build a large, supermarket-anchored shopping center at 63rd Street and Prospect Avenue was endorsed by a city agency today.

The 35-acre project, which has been in the works for several years, calls for 307,324-square feet of retail space including a grocer, specialty shops and restaurants, along with a 1,200-space parking lot. It calls for $43.7 million in tax-increment financing assistance which would be backed by the city.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wow... backed by the city. that's a strong statement. probably a good idea that they extended light rail to this vicinity.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Council OKs Citadel Plaza redevelopment plan

The Citadel Plaza, a $90.5 million redevelopment plan intended to bring shopping opportunities to an underserved East Side neighborhood, won unanimous approval Thursday from the Kansas City Council.

The project proposed for a 35-acre site at 63rd Street and Prospect Avenue requires hefty public assistance and has been described by financial consultants as a risky investment, but council members believe it is worth taking because of its importance to the area.

The project will be assisted by $43.7 million in tax-increment financing, and the bonds will be backed by the city’s credit.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'm fairly excited about this project and hope it gets done right.  I can't quite grasp how large the development will be, but 1,200 parking spaces seems huge.  Hopefully people will drive in from the southern burbs, park, take the train into the city and then shop before heading home.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcjak wrote: I'm fairly excited about this project and hope it gets done right.  I can't quite grasp how large the development will be, but 1,200 parking spaces seems huge.  Hopefully people will drive in from the southern burbs, park, take the train into the city and then shop before heading home.
I think the project is depending on drawing Brookside and Waldo residents to shop east. I honestly can't see suburbanites shopping here - it still has to overcome being perceived as being in a bad part of town - unfairly, I might add.

KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I sincerely hope that this project works but it is a huge risk.  If it is successful it could really help to improve the area and become another positive piece connecting into Swope Park and perhaps spur HCA to develop their land on 63rd.  One positive is the traffic on BW Drive.   

I personally think a rebuild of the Landing, with linked new development west down 63rd, replacing the old Cleveland Chiropractic buildings would have a higher chance of sucess and create a better more walkable community.  But...