The Citadel Plaza project at E. 63rd & Prospect

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: The Citadel Plaza project at E. 63rd & Prospect

Post by Eon Blue »

Regarding the report, how is a suburban-style shopping center going to fix 63rd & Prospect any better than it fixed 31st & Prospect?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

lol, they hired mgsports as their analyst!
But Urbanics President Phil Boname told the audience Thursday night that he does see potential if the city can attract four or five big regional traffic generators such as Menards, Ross Dress for Less, Target and Michaels. With sufficient traffic, Boname said, the development might then attract a movie theater, cafes and other stores that residents want.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote:lol, they hired mgsports as their analyst!
But Urbanics President Phil Boname told the audience Thursday night that he does see potential if the city can attract four or five big regional traffic generators such as Menards, Ross Dress for Less, Target and Michaels. With sufficient traffic, Boname said, the development might then attract a movie theater, cafes and other stores that residents want.
yes, because Menards is so interested in KC that they're not abandoning other projects

and as for "regional traffic generators" these stores are so regional that there's 9 michaels just in KC and just as many Targets. Must be a vague definition of regional
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

But that Sutherlands is for sale? Nuts and Bolts? Menards is on hold. No City Target's here yet? Shopko Hometown? Sam's Club? BJ'S Wearhouse? Books A Million? Belk? Academy Sports and Outdoors because no one the MO side of metro yet? MCSPORTS Outdoor Center? Johnny's Mac's? Modell's? Ron John Surf Shop or Ozarkland? Furniture Row? Albertsons?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FANG, there are items in your post I agree with but, of course, there are differences. I would reduce the amount of retail. Not saying the area wouldn't support that amount but that support would be a long time coming. Instead of big box I would shoot for businesses that the neighborhood can now support and needs. Stores like Dollar General or Family Dollar (they do carry some groceries and dairy); an ACE or True Value hardware store; offices for lawyers, tax services and other professions; buildings for government services like a post office, IRS, etc; plus more housing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm for all those things AKP. The Super Target is desirable though because it carries a full grocery store, and that neighborhood and ones near it are among those that fall into the "food desert" classification that many of central city neighborhoods carry.

I think a full-scale grocery store is important for that area. Dollar General and Family Dollar don't carry produce items, which are sorely needed in neighborhoods to the east.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

An Aldi would carry produce.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:An Aldi would carry produce.
An Aldi would be great for this area. I frequently shop at the Paseo & Admiral store and it seems to draw people from across the entire western half of the Old Northeast. Increasingly, it's drawing more people that I would presume to be Downtown/RM/CP residents as well. In that regard, it does the neighborhood a service by being a full-fledged grocery store but it also draws people to the area that wouldn't normally be there--opening the door to changing perceptions and eventual redevelopment.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I shop at Aldi weekly. However, the problem with Aldi's produce section is that it is limited, and that stocks of certain produce run out if you don't get there soon after a delivery. For example, it's not uncommon for them to be out of bananas and strawberries. They have limited space for storage, and don't get deliveries of everything every day. They also have limited selections of certain items--including meat.

Aldi is a good choice in some respects in that many items are much cheaper than other stores, including Price Chopper.

The reason I think a Super Target is a better choice is that many seniors do their shopping once a week. Most are on fixed incomes, and prefer not driving all over town to accomplish their purchases--to conserve gasoline. They also need other items other than groceries--that aren't available in grocery stores. I read recently that 20 percent of independent seniors don't drive, so there is that too. If they are coming by bus, it's more difficult to go to several places to do their shopping.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

The reason why I suggest smaller footprint stores is I do not think this will be a success as a large retail area, at least not for many, mny years. And without a bucketload of incentives I do not see a Target nor a Super Target coming to the area.

As a whole, as stated previously, there is too much space devoted to retail in the current plans. And big box should not be sought. Smaller stores that serve the neighborhood should be targeted (sorry). Aldi does have some limitations but maybe it could be supplemented by some sort of mall of small stores that cater to individual food areas. One for meats, another for produce, another for fish. Or even some sort of farmer's market. Or even encourage neighborhood gardens where people can grow their own. Some of that land will be vacant for a period of time so why not encourage neighborhood gardens?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I've heard the big box like Target idea bounced around for years there with the thinking being you'll be able to draw in the Brookside crowd. But with Ward Parkway landing the Trader Joe's and revamping the center to be pretty attractive now, would Citadel have a chance against that? Troost is still a huge psychological barrier and I think Citadel should concentrate on providing amenities for the neighborhoods around it (and maybe that is Target, maybe not) instead of trying to be a local draw.

If Target can work, great, but I tend to agree with AKP that lots of smaller stores might be more appropriate.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

A link to the City's website, re: 63rd and Prospect:

http://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/CityPla ... evelopment
kcexpress
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcexpress »

Actually, there's already an Aldi over off of Troost and Meyer Blvd, across from The Landing. Maybe Walmart can put in a Neighborhood Market. A Hyvee wouldn't be a bad idea, either
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Foods Festival? Fresh Market? Sprouts? Dillons back? Schnucks? Kroger? Grebes?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Foods Festival? Fresh Market? Sprouts? Dillons back? Schnucks? Kroger? Grebes?
You put Kroger three times.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

flyingember wrote:
mgsports wrote:Foods Festival? Fresh Market? Sprouts? Dillons back? Schnucks? Kroger? Grebes?
You put Kroger three times.