Valentine Shopping Center Redevelopment

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Valentine Redevelopment Project

Post by lock+load »

Maybe Steve52 and AKP are brothers?
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Tosspot wrote: You think the renderings look ugly? Compared to what? Have you ever bothered casting a glance at the hideous strip mall gulag that resides there now? Stop being such a curmudgeon.
We need to start creating other things other then liquor establishments, plastic retail, and corporate condos.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Steve52 wrote: We need to start creating other things other then liquor establishments, plastic retail, and corporate condos.
Right.  We need more strip mall Apple Markets and McDonalds
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

lock&load wrote: Right.  We need more strip mall Apple Markets and McDonalds
No we need more high cost,  risking undertakings that would not be possible without TIF assistance and that very few developers would be willing to proceed with for such modest returns. Like West Edge.
Last edited by Steve52 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

If Larry can finally pull this off it, would be a real boost to the neighborhood. 

As we have discussed elsewhere on this forum, 20% of the city's Section 8 housing is concentrated along Armour Blvd, right next to Broadway.  That's why the corridor is so troubled right now, too much poverty in too small an area. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Tosspot wrote: You think the renderings look ugly? Compared to what? Have you ever bothered casting a glance at the hideous strip mall gulag that resides there now? Stop being such a curmudgeon.
Actually, I reminds me a lot of the newer developments in Europe.  I think it's just fine. 
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

I think the renderings look great.  This project would do so much to help turn the area around and finally fill in this huge missing chunk.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Valentine Shopping Center Redevelopment

Post by warwickland »

It's been some time, does anybody know the status of any proposals to redevelop this strip mall?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Looking over some of the high profile concerts at the Uptown Theatre (Panic, Decemberists) I can't help wondering about the potential of the surrounding neighborhood.

This site could be a dramatic anchor for the surrounding neighborhood mixing resdential above sidewalks cafes and nightclubs. The entire stretch of Broadway could come back to life with energy and excitement to become something like a more cosmopolitan complement to Westport. Tear down the strip mall and build up with something that gives this neighborhood instant credibility. I would even support a super TIF to get started...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: Looking over some of the high profile concerts at the Uptown Theatre (Panic, Decemberists) I can't help wondering about the potential of the surrounding neighborhood.

This site could be a dramatic anchor for the surrounding neighborhood mixing resdential above sidewalks cafes and nightclubs. The entire stretch of Broadway could come back to life with energy and excitement to become something like a more cosmopolitan complement to Westport. Tear down the strip mall and build up with something that gives this neighborhood instant credibility. I would even support a super TIF to get started...
i agree. valentine could be a very cool spot if that strip was replaced. whatever they replace it with needs some height to it. i'd love to see those colonnade homes on valentine road finally reopened. they're beautiful inside and out. this is why light rail down broadway makes as much sense as main street... there is a lot of unrealized potential!
swampranger
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by swampranger »

Ya know dave, for a while I couldn't see the broadway light rail route over one for main, but now I really can't see it anywhere else but broadway. That stretch has an amazing potential.
Echoing warwickland from last November: anyone heard any new insight from larry sells?
"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."
-- Franklin Roosevelt
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Steve52 wrote: We need to start creating other things other then liquor establishments, plastic retail, and corporate condos.

Those markets are eternally hot.  Real estate speculators, drinkers and corporations drive the economy. 
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Sooooooo...now the Apple Market is gone, & the only thing left ( far as I can tell ) in the Valentine Shopping Center is the bank.

Anyone got any news on this?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DiggityDawg wrote: Sooooooo...now the Apple Market is gone, & the only thing left ( far as I can tell ) in the Valentine Shopping Center is the bank.

Anyone got any news on this?
POTENTIAL!

Please God do not turn this into another GD parking lot. Bring Trader Joe's and some other Bobo-friendly retailers to Midtown. With Uptown as successful as its been in the last few years, it makes sense.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Owned by Larry Sells.  It will sit FOREVER.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

That's what I'm afraid of. We sure as hell don't need any more blight in the neighborhood.

The Apple market sucked, & I didn't go there...but a LOT of people in the neighborhood did. I'm already seeing loads & loads of people walking home with groceries in Save-A-Lot ( 31st & Troost ) bags. There's even been Save-A-Lot fliers in the lobby of my building proclaiming "Welcome, former Apple shoppers!".

So now we've got most of that center empty, along with the old Blockbuster across the street ( which someone is trying to develop, at least ).
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Some new info...it must be the bi-annual "Hearne Christopher Makes Himself Useful For A Change" Day.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 33480.html
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Man, any of this would be great.  It would be awesome to see a vibrant Broadway come back.  Redistribution of the section 8 is ultimately what needs to happen though.  I love the Uptown and all, and will continue to go to shows there, but is that area ever shady.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Shady - hey...I live a block from there!  :P

Seriously, if he can pull half of this off I'd be ecstatic. As someone who's lived in the neighborhood for 13 years, I'm doubtful there's the customer base for these kinda things around here, though.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Another Larry Sells pipe dream.  He has storefront retail in the Uptown building along Broadway that has NEVER been rented.  If he can't rent that, then what makes anyone think he will rent this space.  Anyway to take this TIF for lack of development?