Valentine Shopping Center Redevelopment

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Valentine Shopping Center Redevelopment

Post by Marreekarr »

With all of the problems related to housing, I have always thought that the biggest eyesore in the area is the Valentine Shopping Center across from the Uptown Theater.  Not only is the strip mall totally out of character for the neighborhood, it is also for some reason or other a magnet for undesirables who like to congregate in the parking lot just off of Broadway.  Too bad the Disney plan for that corner never took off.
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu May 11, 2006 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Next Target: Armour Blvd and Valentine areas

Post by DiggityDawg »

Yeah, what was that? I know KC Life supposedly had plans at one point, but I've never heard of a Disney plan.

I think a big part of the problem with the Valentine Shopping Center has to do with the "blood for money" place that's there. Actually, I recently discovered that that whole area used to be the location of a huge mansion...the stone & metal wall/fence that used to surround it is still there in part - on the west side of the block.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

This area has some very nice architecture and could be quite a lively little area.  On Broadway, I think the Valentine Shopping Center--is that the name of it?--on the corner should be redeveloped.  It should be inverted with street front design and a multi-level parking garage attached in the rear.  I would like to see the heights of the building comparable to the surrounding buildings--8 to 10 stories with mixed income housing.  This would be a great step towards redeveloping this area by bringing needed retail services.  Likewise, I would like to see that Blockbuster building redeveloped.  The current building is very anti-urban with the parking lot in the front. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

^ totally.  That shopping center would be PERFECT for a mixed use, parking structure with office and retail wrap around project.  This is one of the better examples in the country.  It's a 700 car parking garage with building wrapped around it (it's an urban infill project  in Colorado Springs, CO)

KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I like it. Any building that succeeds at providing car storage yet doesn't LOOK like it's main purpose is car storage is alright in my book-- Valencia Place on the Plaza fits this bill too.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Valentine Shopping Center redevelopment

Post by trailerkid »

It appears that Larry Sells is still pursuing plans to redevelop the Valentine Shopping Center project into a mixed use structure with parking, retail and residential. Berger Devine Yaeger, who designed Northgate Village in NKC, have done rendering of the new Valentine project as recently as December 05. Could this project still be in the pipeline? If this happens, it could be a major boost to the Broadway corridor.

Broadway Looking North

Pennsylvania Looking East

Valentine Looking Northeast

Valentine Looking North
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Valentine Redevelopment Project

Post by ComandanteCero »

looks decent.  Are those renderings online somewhere?
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Where is the money going to come from for that?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Steve52 wrote: Where is the money going to come from for that?
Red-light traffic camera fines.  ;)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Steve52 wrote: Where is the money going to come from for that?
Where the same money comes from for almost every project in the metro...TIF. Larry Sells owns the Uptown so he's probably got some cash. I wish he'd bring someone else in with some more experience like Urban Coer or MCZ/Centrum. No reason to believe this location is not very desirable and dynamic. Few opportunities exist in Midtown for such a high profile location.

Although, it's just conceptual, I really like the idea of using a circular design for the corner to mimic the Uptown across the street. The renderings are on the Uptown web site and you can also catch glimpses of them on BDY's web site although the project isn't official there.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Ordinary taxpayers must pay more in order to subsidize TIF recipients.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Steve52 wrote: Ordinary taxpayers must pay more in order to subsidize TIF recipients.
No shit...this is definitely a project and neighborhood that needs TIF if anyone does.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

Those renderings look nice, this is exactly the kind of development that area needs.  Throw in a couple hundred townhouses between Broadway and S.W. Trafficway and the area would be on its way back to vibrancy.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

paisstat wrote: Those renderings look nice, this is exactly the kind of development that area needs.  Throw in a couple hundred townhouses between Broadway and S.W. Trafficway and the area would be on its way back to vibrancy.
no kidding.  i am amazed this corridor hasn't bounced back in a big way already.  the Main/Broadway corridors in Midtown are basically flanked by some pretty nice residential neighborhoods.  it's odd that this stretch is so sketchy when there are homes selling for $400,000 just a block away.  Hyde Park residents throw a fit when the Madrid hosts a popular event that brings people to the area, but do they protest the crime and blight? 
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

paisstat wrote: Those renderings look nice, this is exactly the kind of development that area needs.  Throw in a couple hundred townhouses between Broadway and S.W. Trafficway and the area would be on its way back to vibrancy.
Nope. That alone isn't gonna' do it.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

The legal rules for establishing TIF districts are so flexible and almost capricious that they give government officials and developers arbitrary authority over long-time community residents, an arrangement that poses a significant risk to the freedoms of the latter. The “but forâ€
Last edited by Steve52 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Steve52 wrote:FACT

Sells was trumpeting this stuff almost 20 years ago and hasn't delivered.

I guess I missed the argument here. No ever said he did deliver. Jesus...I just wanted people to see the rendering that was done in December if they hadn't.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

thanks for sharing the renderings tk, good to see that even if this particular concept does not go through, they are thinking along dense urban lines.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

I think it's ugly. Looks like an amusement park. 

"Six Flags over Valentine"
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Steve52 wrote: I think it's ugly. Looks like an amusement park. 

"Six Flags over Valentine"

You think the renderings look ugly? Compared to what? Have you ever bothered casting a glance at the hideous strip mall gulag that resides there now? Stop being such a curmudgeon.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit