18th and Vine

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: 18th and Vine

Post by warwickland »

anybody know what the story is with these structures at 19th and Vine? especially the one on the corner with the large (tin?) cornice and the 'dixie lan bbq' sign..
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

I noticed that they finally installed or turned on the street lights in the district.  It used to be pitch black along the side streets off of 18th and along 19th.  They put in some super bright lights in the past week, making it much more inviting and visible all night.  However, it also shows how badley they need to replace the false store fronts with legitimate ones.  Also, what is the new bar going in on 18th?  Harper's or something like that.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Jazz District gets a manager from Ohio, who brings a questionable résumé.

The news was big: The JDRC had hired a businessman from Columbus, Ohio, to take over the management of the district and finally get some tenants for the vacant buildings. The man of the hour, Adam K. Troy, took the podium to boast that he'd find national retail chains to fill the storefronts — a claim that's been repeated by various 18th and Vine leaders for years.

Afterward, when Troy was asked what experience he's had with similar projects, he said: "Most specifically, the King-Lincoln District in Columbus, Ohio." Then one of his partners pulled him away.

In fact, Troy had a minor role in the King-Lincoln District project, which is widely considered a failure. In addition, several government figures, business leaders and community advocates in Columbus tell the Pitch that Troy and his companies have handled few projects — and nothing on the scale of the 18th and Vine district.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The retail and restaurant compenent of this project has lanquished for years.  There is no excuse for someone not busting their ass to get stuff in there.  And if they have, and after all these years, nothing, how much more money is the city gonna spend ?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

The retail and restaurant component of this project has languished for years.
I had a friend move into the apartments just above the negro baseball museum when the apartments where new--like 4 or 5 years ago. The apartment complex filled immediately, and the jazz bar was there from the beginning. With residents and entertainment in the area I thought this was well beyond the halfway point of total resurgence? So I am to understand this area now has a tepid pulse?
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
shiprek
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by shiprek »

it's not gentrification... it's landgrab
Last edited by shiprek on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

shiprek wrote: it's gentrification... it's landgrab
k.
shiprek
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by shiprek »

sorry, i forgot to put the word NOT between it's and gentrification... but i just fixed it
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

was browsing the cimo website today and noticed this project:
Scope: This project provides preliminary design services to determine the basis of construction documents for landmark signs at the east and west entrance to the 18th & Vine Jazz District. The design will also include an outdoor terrace in the District.
Project Number: 890C0233
Project Location: 18th Street and Vine
Council District: 3
Project Status: Active
Project Status Note: Project is in negotiations for the design of construction documents.
Project Type: Streetscape
Planned Bid Date: Sep 04, 2007
Planned Construction Start: Nov, 2007
Planned Construction End: Apr, 2008
tjokskalle
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tjokskalle »

I say turn it into a red light district with legal prostitution and watch this place take off.
the rubber on the wheel..is quicker than the rubber on the heel.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

DaveKCMO wrote: was browsing the cimo website today and noticed this project:
Dave - - do you always troll the CIMO website?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

is anything in that building i was pointing to a year ago?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cdm2p wrote: Dave - - do you always troll the CIMO website?
yes, i do.
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

warwickland wrote: is anything in that building i was pointing to a year ago?
Why not go to the district and find out?
Have dinner at the Peachtree and listen to some jazz at the Blue Room.
tjokskalle
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tjokskalle »

Of course i was joking about the prostitution although some jo co kansas men
would find that a bonus.
  We all know why the 18th and vine district is floundering and that"why" is "safety".
The 18th and vine area along with the general area surrounding it is known to be
crime and gang ridden.We need the help of the community and the police to clean
up the perimeters around the jazz district ;most people from the burbs wont dare stop
if they see vacant old buildings in disrepair.I personally love the jazz district and it can be so much
more.  Just my opinion
the rubber on the wheel..is quicker than the rubber on the heel.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

tjokskalle wrote:   We all know why the 18th and vine district is floundering and that"why" is "safety".
The 18th and vine area along with the general area surrounding it is known to be
crime and gang ridden.We need the help of the community and the police to clean
up the perimeters around the jazz district ;most people from the burbs wont dare stop
if they see vacant old buildings in disrepair.I personally love the jazz district and it can be so much
more.  Just my opinion
Agreed. But another reason is that most local people don't care about jazz or its role in KC's history -- if they even know about that role. We don't even have a smooth jazz station, let alone one that plays the old school stuff.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Pastense wrote: Why not go to the district and find out?
(dude's in St. Louis)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Pastense wrote: Why not go to the district and find out?
yup, i've done that! it was a good time!
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

tjokskalle wrote:     We all know why the 18th and vine district is floundering and that"why" is "safety".
crime and gang ridden.
That explains the folks that fill the Mutual Musicians Foundation for their 1-5 AM shows every Friday & Saturday night. They must not be in the "know" about the dangers of the district. Really, this is the east edge of the Crossroads! It has almost 200 new, occupied apartments, with more to come. The talk about crime and gangs seems outdated and misplaced.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I was at the Foundation last night and heard some great jazz as usual.  If you have never gone, it is worth the experience.  18th and Harrison.  As many of you know, they used to serve beer for a $3 'donation' but they got called out on it and lost that privilege.  They can now only serve beer upstairs until 3am.  Starting next month, on Charlie Parkers birthday, they will get their 24hr license back and again, start serving until 5am
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama