Late Night Helicopters

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Late Night Helicopters

Post by carfreekc »

So it's almost midnight, and once again I hear a helicopter buzzing in/near Brookside. I hear these fairly frequently, and they're usually late in the evening and for decent chunks of time. So what the hell? Are police copters really out that damn often and for that long and in this area? Sudden Lifeflight traffic at Baptist-Lutheran? I don't remember hearing them much when I lived just off of the Plaza or downtown. Anyone else hear these things?

(Yeah, I know, I should just call the police and ask.)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Late Night Helicopters

Post by KCPowercat »

ah, the ghetto birds :)

Not sure, I have seen a couple new helicoptors at the downtown airport....they do look like medical helicoptors
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Late Night Helicopters

Post by MidtownGrrl »

It seems there have been quite a few in Midtown this week. I was a neighborhood crime meeting. The police said at least one of those nights there was a foot chase in our area.

Crime always seems to heat up in the summer - people are out more, and we can hear the copters now that the windows are open.

When I lived down at Oak & 63rd two to four years ago, we heard copters frequently.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Late Night Helicopters

Post by dangerboy »

i don't think baptist usually gets many air ambulances. could be research hospital further east. probably police helicopters, they are usually busier this time of the year.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Late Night Helicopters

Post by KC0KEK »

Does anybody remember the guy in Leawood a few months ago who upset his neighbors by landing a helicopter in his back yard? He actually owned one and used it to go to work.
KCgridlock

Late Night Helicopters

Post by KCgridlock »

KC0KEK wrote:Does anybody remember the guy in Leawood a few months ago who upset his neighbors by landing a helicopter in his back yard? He actually owned one and used it to go to work.
He got in trouble for landing that thing in his neighbors yards too. He is now asking the city to build a park and fly lot for him. I was just thinking, you know there are nice executive homes in the northland too if driving was in issue.

Anyway, having lived in urban KCMO for most of my life, choppers are very much common in the city. The last area I lived in, Waldo always had them. Being relatively close to StJoeseph Med, Research, Baptist, and St.Lukes, medical choppers constantly flew by. The press choppers also fly across the area a lot during rush hours as it is in the center of the city and of courese the cop chops are just a part of the city in the summertime. I have had the spotlight shined down on our yard a couple of times too, kinda freaky, but they are usually covering such a large area when looking for someone, they are bound to get close every once in a while. Also having four lane streets everywhere were major routes for the many emergency vehicles moving around the area.

I sort of miss that in a wierd way.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Late Night Helicopters

Post by carfreekc »

I guess the buildings I lived in on the Plaza and in Quality Hill had better soundproofing since they were older because I swear I don't remember hearing as many (or hardly any) copters in either place. (Plaza=glass bottles in the dumpsters after the bars closed and Quality Hill=bells from the cathedral across the street)

I've never seen a searchlight from the copters here yet, but the freakiest thing was when I lived in Aurora, a suburb of Denver, and they had a police perimeter blocking off our street. Cops were going through our backyards and shining lights in the yard storage shed and telling us to get back in our houses when we opened front doors to see what the hell was going on. Then when we called the police, they wouldn't tell us anything because, they said, they didn't know who we were and we could be the people the cops were after for all they knew. Since people had just been shot execution style in an apartment building down the street a week earlier, we were even edgier. (Wasn't related after all.)

That neighborhood really wasn't as bad as all that just sounded.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Late Night Helicopters

Post by KCPowercat »

Plaza=glass bottles in the dumpsters after the bars closed and Quality Hill=bells from the cathedral across the street
I've got the glass bottles here in Quality Hill.....I just take it positive and am glad that Tanners & the Quaff are both busy.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Late Night Helicopters

Post by bahua »

I am not sure if I have heard enough helicopters in Midtown to be used to them yet(not like police and ambulance sirens), but I honestly just don't hear them that much. I could have thick walls or something, but all I ever hear outside is the occasional fireworks show, planes flying over head, sirens(if the window's open) and car alarms.