Hawthorn @ 39th & Main goes condo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Hawthorn @ 39th & Main goes condo

Post by Marreekarr »

The low-income residents of the 10 story Hawthorn Apartments near the intersection of 39th and Main are in the process of moving out.  Word on the street has it that the building's owner is going condo.  In related developments, there has been a lot of behind the scenes negotiating for properties on Main Street between Crown Center and the Plaza.  One local real estate agent tells me that this area is the next big thing and that property values are expected to soar with the completion of the Federal Reserve Building.  Developing...
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Hawthorn @ 39th & Main goes condo

Post by KCLofts »

The east side of Main Street around 39th either already has been, or is in the proces of being designated as a TIF district.  I assume that should spur on further development.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

hmmm, well i noticed they were renovating that pseudo tudorish building south of the marketplace area.... are there urban design guidelines in place?  It'll be awesome if money gets pumped into this area, but infill in KC's urban core is still very hit and miss in terms of creating vital urbanism....
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

ComandanteCero wrote: .... are there urban design guidelines in place?
God I hope so. Funny how urban design guidelines are fundamental in the planning process but are so often overlooked in the real world.  The entire Main Street corridor could use a healthy dose of design guidelines.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Marreekarr wrote:One local real estate agent tells me that this area is the next big thing and that property values are expected to soar with the completion of the Federal Reserve Building.
The Federal Reserve?  What makes anyone think that the Fed is going to make that big of an impact on the whole Main St. corridor?  It is one building and not one that makes the neighborhood that much more interesting, unless everyone moving to Main is going to work for the Fed.  I simply don't see it having a big impact on anything.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

staubio wrote: The Federal Reserve?  What makes anyone think that the Fed is going to make that big of an impact on the whole Main St. corridor?  It is one building and not one that makes the neighborhood that much more interesting, unless everyone moving to Main is going to work for the Fed.  I simply don't see it having a big impact on anything.
Part of the idea might be that those extra workers will spur retail in the surrounding area. But that's a little hard to believe given the compartmentalized, self-contained nature of the new Fed building. Theoretically some of the Fed drones might want housing nearby, but I kind of doubt that would make any substantive difference.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Marreekarr wrote: The low-income residents of the 10 story Hawthorn Apartments near the intersection of 39th and Main are in the process of moving out.  Word on the street has it that the building's owner is going condo.  In related developments, there has been a lot of behind the scenes negotiating for properties on Main Street between Crown Center and the Plaza.  One local real estate agent tells me that this area is the next big thing and that property values are expected to soar with the completion of the Federal Reserve Building.  Developing...
i have heard similar buzz... from a couple of sources, too...  but mostly developers, and i was somewhat incredulous both times, thinking, "could the Fed and the IRS really make that much of an impact south? along Main?"  apparently people think it can...  and i'm all for it, if so.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Once both complexes are done there should be a big boost in lunch business for Mr. Goodcents, McDonalds, Gates, and the Union Hill spots. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

hmmm, it sounds like mixed news.  Yes there will be more mouths to feed, but will these mouths insist on using their cars to travel to restaurants or will they go on foot or mass transit?  I'm guessing it's the former (although i hold out hope for the continued success of MAX).... this may create pressure to provide parking in nearby eating establishments...... again, one of the reasons this thing should have been urban minded from the start.  Argh....  How long of a walk will it be from the Fed Bank to the nearest MAX stop?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

^An "urban" design for the Fed is pretty much impossible these days, since the paranoia of terrorism has scared the government into excreting forth the most fortress-like, off-the-shelf office park pieces of crap in order to satiate their fears. And thus we have the new Federal Reserve and the prefabricated IRS abomination.

photoblog. 

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

ComandanteCero wrote: hmmm, it sounds like mixed news.  Yes there will be more mouths to feed, but will these mouths insist on using their cars to travel to restaurants or will they go on foot or mass transit?  I'm guessing it's the former (although i hold out hope for the continued success of MAX).... this may create pressure to provide parking in nearby eating establishments...... again, one of the reasons this thing should have been urban minded from the start.  Argh....  How long of a walk will it be from the Fed Bank to the nearest MAX stop?
There is a stop right next to it at 29th.  Like the stops that look to be setup just to serve the government buildings in the loop, this stop looks to be there for the sole benefit of the Fed, though the townhouses on Union Hill should enjoy saving a walk for 2 more blocks.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

As you all get lost in your laments about the compartmentalization and automobile-dependence of the new federal buildings

One thing to consider is that new development of this scale is going to have a psychological impact on the area.  Abandoned and/or desolate properties are being turned into something productive.  They might not follow urban guidelines, but they are still going to give a sense of progress, the idea that these parts of town can become something more than they are, so this attracts development.  The direct impact of the Fed projects might just be a boost in lunchtime traffic at the McDonalds drive-thru, but the presence of new large scale development will have an indirect impact as well, possibly in the form of other larger scale office projects.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Long wrote: As you all get lost in your laments about the compartmentalization and automobile-dependence of the new federal buildings

One thing to consider is that new development of this scale is going to have a psychological impact on the area.  Abandoned and/or desolate properties are being turned into something productive.  They might not follow urban guidelines, but they are still going to give a sense of progress, the idea that these parts of town can become something more than they are, so this attracts development.  The direct impact of the Fed projects might just be a boost in lunchtime traffic at the McDonalds drive-thru, but the presence of new large scale development will have an indirect impact as well, possibly in the form of other larger scale office projects.
I agree.  People are definately making a big deal out of it, as if it is indeed a shining moment for Midtown.  I have a friend that owns a house in Valentine and, despite all of the momentum elsewhere, he is now convinced that he is sitting on a gold mine because of the Fed.  I think people don't realize that the Fed has been downtown for a long time already and that this is some big sign for the future of KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The reason people in Old Hyde Park and Valentine are encouraged about the Fed is because many believe that it signals a push south to connect downtown to the Plaza.  If that is the case then this WILL be a huge benefit to your friend and his homes value.  Personally, I think that is what we are starting to see.  You're also going to see development continue to develop from the Plaza to the north. Once this is done along with MAX turning into some form of light rail transit the neighborhoods between Main and Broadway could further increase in value.  I went to a wedding a few weeks ago at Drexel Hall.  I hadn't been there in awhile and was amazed to see how much that neighborhood has been cleaned up. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

We already have a couple of other threads on here about property starting to turn over in the Main Street corridor.  For example, Main Street Chevy is gone and appareantly the owners decided the land was more valuable than the business.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Whether you like the trend or not, Main St has changed dramatically. That southwest corner of 31st and Main was one of the first changes(ugly building, but better than previous).Then Union Hill, next came Linwood and Main(ugly building, but provides valuable services). Now the march down Main towards 39th, then onward to 43rd and then tying in with American Century!!!!
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Marreekarr »

39th & Main may seem insignificant at first glance.  Yet it has always been a transportation hub for people living on the East Side.  They ride the 39th street bus to Main and transfer there.  Ditto for those coming down to Main from 39th street and the KU Med area.  Before the 1980's building boom that southwest corner of 39th, where the First Bank building now resides, they used to sell christmas trees on an otherwise vacant lot.  Then the boom hit Main St. and that corner was developed for the bank and retail.  It wasn't long before a Johnson County investor bought the building on the northwest corner and began renovation.

Location being what it is to developers, I can't think of a better corner to highlight.  You have the Grand Emporium and Harlings Upstairs just a block away.  The Unicorn and Madrid Theatres within walking distance (Why not have a theater district here?).  And it's right at the intersection between Midtown and Westport.  And don't forget 'foot traffic' and 'automobile traffic' - it already has 20k+ cars a day passing the intersection and because of the intersecting bus routes it is one of Main's most heavily populated street corners.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

You want to develop 39th and Main?  Get a law passed limiting check cashing places and pawn shops.  They prey on the poor and promote theft.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

beautyfromashes wrote: You want to develop 39th and Main?  Get a law passed limiting check cashing places and pawn shops.  They prey on the poor and promote theft.
Those will go away as the area gentrifies and the spaces those businesses occupy become worth more.  A lot of landlords rent to those types of businesses because they are the only tenants they can get in some buildings.  As the neighborhood improves the quality of available tenants will improve.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: You want to develop 39th and Main?  Get a law passed limiting check cashing places and pawn shops.  They prey on the poor and promote theft.
Don't forget all the stores for the prepaid cell phone resellers.  How many of these rip off joints does midtown really need?