Hawthorn @ 39th & Main goes condo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Hawthorn @ 39th & Main goes condo

Post by Paintfumes »

too who or what group do you think he will be selling the properties too ? A guess would do.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Marreekarr »

The buzz around Midtown says that he has entertained proposals from other property owners in the Westport area.  And his isn't the only parcel that is generating interest.  I know from a casual acquaintance that speculators have approached other owners along Main St. in recent months.  Everyone believes that the population of the DT to Plaza corridor is going up and much of the increase will be in the upper middle income bracket.  Those new arrivals will need more places to entertain themselves as well as purchase goods and services, and the Main St. corridor is the most likely place to invest in.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Why would the Hawthorn Apartments need PIEA ? I heard he already bought the "Naughty and Nice" store to level for a parking garage. But wouldn't that parking garage be too small to hold a certain amount of cars for his tenants at the Hawthorn?
What is the purpose for PIEA ?
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

heard that this was still on, that they were going to be "nice,"  but i dont know the timeline.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

warwickland wrote: heard that this was still on, that they were going to be "nice,"  but i dont know the timeline.
Actually, who is going to be "nice" ?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

im nice      :-({|=
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

and ?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Paintfumes wrote: and ?
big pervert!
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

schugg wrote: big pervert!
Bad dream go away
Last edited by Paintfumes on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i didnt know the names of who is doing the rehab, i was just casually chatting w/ other business owners in the area.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

warwickland wrote: i didnt know the names of who is doing the rehab, i was just casually chatting w/ other business owners in the area.
now you know.

you know how it goes with rehabbers. They tell the neighbohood one thing, then they tell the city something totally different than what they told the neighborhood.

What a surprise.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

tjokskalle
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tjokskalle »

Rau construction.My brother is a mason that works for them.
the rubber on the wheel..is quicker than the rubber on the heel.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TIF Commission OKs financing for Midtown apartments
Howard Fischer said the Hawthorn apartments, 3835 Main St., will contain 56 units, fewer than half the number before the building closed in 2005.

Fischer, CEO of Distinct Properties KC LLC, which bought the building in 2005 and plans a $26 million renovation, said most units will rent at market rates, averaging $1.15 a square foot.
TIF, which redirects new taxes, would be used to buy property for the 94-space garage. The $1.4 million purchase would replace an adult bookstore at 3821 Main St. Fischer said Distinct Properties has contracted to buy the property and won't need to use eminent domain.

The 10-story apartment building will be called The Netherlands, its original name. The building began as a hotel and started taking long-term residents in the 1940s, Fischer said.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This will be a vast improvement for the 39th & Main intersection.  And get rid of the last smut shop in midtown.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/832921.html

In another matter, the TIF commission recommended the Kansas City Council reject a $32.3 million redevelopment plan for the Hawthorn Plaza building at 3835 Main St. The council approved a $26 million redevelopment plan last winter, but the developer is seeking $3.3 million more in tax-increment financing assistance.

The project calls for renovating the decrepit building into 56 upscale apartments. Opponents estimated the average subsidy per unit is now $470,000. They also objected to the source of the tax-increment financing assistance, which would be diverted from another TIF district established in part to benefit the nearby Southmoreland neighborhood.

“The neighborhood supports the redevelopment of the Hawthorn, but believes this particular project is bad public policy,” said Greg Corwin, president of the Southmoreland Neighborhood Association. Howard Fisher, the developer, said he hopes the City Council will brush aside the TIF commission recommendation and approve the plan.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yeah, because brushing aside neighborhood groups is always a good thing. LOL. &
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

If only the 39th/Main area had additional incentives available that were related to the nearby (potential) light rail route and transit station...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Southmoreland sucks!!!!  Mission Hills wannabes who could care less about the city.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

what has apparently happened here is that, since Beth G and Jan M live in the district, they cannot advocate for pushing it through.  no one else is picking up the slack either, so the project is in limbo for the forseeable future.  weak.