Pendleton Heights rocks!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by mean »

Other than the rampant prostitution, which never seemed nearly as obvious anywhere in midtown when I lived there, I'd put most of northeast in basically the same basket as midtown as far as "shenanigans". Frankly, the biggest difference between northeast and midtown to me is that midtown seems to me to be where the dealers go to sell crack to people from the suburbs, whereas northeast is where the dealers go to sell crack to the people who live there.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

chrizow wrote:http://www.reeceandnichols.com/homes-fo ... n-89486317

Not Pendleton Heights, but I have long enjoyed this house. Good size, classic KC shirtwaist, intact. Pretty cool to have a latino meat market across the street!

We are not really in the market at the moment, but what is the reality of living at St. John and Jackson, from people who live up that way now. Are we talking a midtown level of shenanigans (i.e. an elevated background level of crime but tolerable), or would one just be fucked with constantly?

Historic NE is just so enormous, and I am sure that crime and safety issues vary widely neighborhood-by-neighborhood. Would 101 Jackson be in a "good" area of NE (or "bad" or "so-so" or?).
It's an ok area. If you're gonna live in Northeast, you be better off living north of St. John.

When I moved back to Northeast in the early 90's, I lived off of Norledge and Kensington and that meat market was an Italian bakery that had been there forever. They gave it up about '95 or so and since then it's been 3 different bakeries, a previous latino market and then some kind of Middle-Eastern shop. That corner location seems to go through different incarnations about once a year. Hopefully the current joint will be able to make it work and bring a little stability to that area.

The crime was always there. Mostly home & car burglaries and stolen cars. I came home from work many times to find a stolen car sitting in front of my residence, still running. I'd take a looksee at it, making sure I didn't touch it and call the cops. They would usually get there and take care of it in 4 hours or less.

I always advised folks to get a large dog that would bark loudly if he heard anyone outside their place. Never got my place broken in to, I had a big dog, but did have 6 car break-ins in the time I lived there.

And if you live in Northeast, it's highly advisable to have access to something that's able to launch hi-speed projectiles at a target. It's the way of the hood.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not really Pendelton, but adjacent Pho Hoa is some of the best and freshest Vietnamese I have eaten.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I agree that houses north of St. John are less likely to have problems. It's certainly a street-by-street situation in some neighborhoods in the Northeast. Some blocks south of St. John might be okay. You can sort of tell by how well the houses are maintained, and if there are a lot of rental houses on the block. I would compare many neighborhoods here to Midtown.

I considered one house before this this one, and my realtor steered me away from it because he said the house catty-cornered across the street was a constant source of problems.

Some of the old-timers have dislike of their ethnic neighbors, but I don't. I have Hispanic and Asian neighbors, and all have been great to me. They are very family-oriented, and we look out for each others' property.

The house Chrizow likes is probably far enough north to be okay. The only thing that might be annoying is being along St. John and the traffic. I would certainly stop by and talk to owners of the neighboring houses before I'd buy. I'd certainly walk the area two or three blocks in all directions and check it out.

My block is pretty stable because the vast majority of houses are owned and not rentals.

I would say it's always better to have a garage for you car if you can. A lot of people have gated drives, and lock them at night.

I don't have a fence or gate, and have parked my cars in the driveway for all five years I've lived here. I've not had any problems. I just recently got my garage emptied to stored things and can park it in the garage.

I think a lot of it comes down to perspective. I've lived in Phoenix and New York City, so I probably have more tolerance than someone who have never lived in large, diverse cities.

If you want to get a great house with good bones, the deals are much better in the Northeast than Midtown.

My attitude is that hookers aren't really that annoying to me. I'd much rather have that sort of activity than drive-by gang shootings on a regular basis.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The prostitution doesn't bother me in and of itself. It's the ancillary activity directly related to it that I'm not a huge fan of. With the amount of drug dealing going on, it is fortunate that there isn't more violence.

I don't know who is running the Avenue right now. When I first moved here I paid pretty close attention to the graffiti and tried to keep tabs on who was claiming turf, but I kinda let it slide over the years. I'm not even sure which sets are operating currently. Anyway, I just hope that some upstarts don't decide they want to go to war over that lucrative junkie hooker dollar. Drive-by gang shootings on a regular basis are always just a young, hungry gang with poor impulse control away.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

mean wrote:that lucrative junkie hooker dollar
And now, here's Tom with the weather...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:I would say it's always better to have a garage for you car if you can. A lot of people have gated drives, and lock them at night.
this is something I would expect to see more of in KC.

my brother rented in nola for a year or two a block off St. Charles. he basically described it as a fine part of town but go north 3-5 blocks and it was not a good area, the patchwork he described sounds a lot like the NE

anyways, one thing he had was a power gated driveway with a low fence. it wasn't enough to keep someone from scaling it and breaking in but you were a less tempting target. and nearly everyone had one. it was uncommon to find a home without a fence around it

I'm surprised KC doesn't have more front yard fences like this in the urban areas. and city code allows them up to a certain height so there's no real barrier.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

moderne wrote:Not really Pendelton, but adjacent Pho Hoa is some of the best and freshest Vietnamese I have eaten.
Yes they do. Their food is great and they have a huge variety to choose from.

But if I'm looking for a bowl of noodles, Hien Vuong in the City Market is my go-to joint. My 2nd, if Hien Vuong is closed (they're only open Wednesday thru Sunday I believe) is that combo Vietnamese store/restaurant east of the City Market in the old Jennie's building. Their bowls are pretty good. I'm more of an egg/flour noodle guy, which is why I like Hien Vuong so much. Most joints only do rice noodles.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

FangKC wrote:
Some of the old-timers have dislike of their ethnic neighbors, but I don't. I have Hispanic and Asian neighbors, and all have been great to me. They are very family-oriented, and we look out for each others' property.
Speaking of ethnic neighbors.

One of my best friends was living with me for awhile on Norledge after he got out of the Navy and was going to UMKC. He spent a lot of time in P.I. and Japan and tends to favor Asian women.

He somehow found a Vietnamese gf whose family lived off of Missouri and Lexington. They had a kid and moved in next door to her family. About a year later he moved his family to a rental house almost directly behind mine on Scarritt. Her mom and dad later bought a house on Sunrise off of Gladstone Blvd. If you live over there then you know the place. She also had other family members who bought houses after a few years around Northeast, north of St. John.

I've been to many Vietnamese get together's, usually on Saturday evenings, where they cooked ribs for hours on little Weber kettles and the beer and Hennessy flowed like a river. The guys like to cut loose and get drunk, eat ribs and play a wierd 3 card Vietnamese poker style game, while the wives sit in the house with the kids and talk and cook other stuff. It's also the same at their birthday parties. I call 'em drunken food fest's.

Today, every single family member of my friend's wife, including him have all moved North of the River and bought houses. The only one left in Northeast is her dad, who's wife just died in the past year. He's either gonna die in that house or his kids will move him up north.

They all have realized the American Dream.

They came in to the U.S. as refugees. Lived in shitty houses in Northeast. Bought houses there and when they finally could afford it, they got out and moved north.

I'm quite proud of them and how fast they were able to accomplish all of that, being a person who lived a green card life for his first 10 years.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Northeast needs more artists, musicians, gays, and other creative types to buy houses here. All these groups are associated with improvements in neighborhoods that will later gentrify--making it possible for upgrades in homes and neighborhoods, higher home values, less crime, etc.
It’s become cliché to say that gentrification is initiated by artists and gays. And indeed Mellander finds close associations between the levels of each of these groups and the number of neighborhoods that have gentrified. Gentrification is correlated with both the concentration of artists, musicians, designers and other cultural creative (.55), and with the concentration of gays and lesbians (.47).
A streetcar line down Independence Avenue might help as well.
It also turns on transit infrastructure. Gentrification is much more likely in metros where people use public transportation to get to work (.61). The share of commuters who walk (.36), or bike (.35) to their jobs is also positively correlated. Gentrification is negatively associated with the share of commuters who drive alone to work (-.55).
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighb ... hers/7588/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Please be reminded that the Pendleton Heights Holiday Home Tour is December 7th. Mark your calendars.

http://pendletonheights.org/whats-happe ... omes-tour/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pendleto ... 1891433869

Two houses on the tour.

Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

FangKC wrote:The Northeast needs more artists, musicians, gays, and other creative types to buy houses here. All these groups are associated with improvements in neighborhoods that will later gentrify--making it possible for upgrades in homes and neighborhoods, higher home values, less crime, etc.
It’s become cliché to say that gentrification is initiated by artists and gays. And indeed Mellander finds close associations between the levels of each of these groups and the number of neighborhoods that have gentrified. Gentrification is correlated with both the concentration of artists, musicians, designers and other cultural creative (.55), and with the concentration of gays and lesbians (.47).
It also turns on transit infrastructure. Gentrification is much more likely in metros where people use public transportation to get to work (.61). The share of commuters who walk (.36), or bike (.35) to their jobs is also positively correlated. Gentrification is negatively associated with the share of commuters who drive alone to work (-.55).
The biggest hurdle to get over is that Northeast is Northeast. It's not Midtown, nor is it Westport. Both of those areas have abundant places to see art and play music in. Northeast does not. And even though Columbus Park and the River Market are 2 areas where many musician's and artist's reside, there's really not many place to see art or play music. There's a few, but not as many as in the Westport/Midtown area. Northeast is almost like a suburb to many people in K.C. and even if you're from that area, it's a place to get out of, not a place to move in to.

This subject has been talked to death. Northeast is what it is. And what it always has been since it was first built up on a garbage dump.

I'm doubtful a streetcar line will improve this situation. There's already buses every 15 minutes East and West on the Avenue. Besides, streetcars are illogical and way overpriced. The only place they make sense is on the hills of San Francisco or in densely populated areas where they connect you to subways. NYC doesn't even have them. Why? They don't make sense.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Must be hard to live with such disdain for change.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, the first thing that needs to happen before the Northeast can see improvement is the habit of local residents repeatedly calling it a "basket case" and dumping on it at every opportunity. If more people would talk up the Old Northeast, like I do, instead of constantly disparaging it, that would be a huge improvement.

Believe me, I've seen much worse neighborhoods come back. I lived on the edge of Alphabet City in NYC in the early 90s. It's been completely gentrified since then.

The Old Northeast has good bones as a neighborhood. It's close to downtown, has a lot of wonderful old homes. Ones with beautiful interiors and others that are plain, but ripe to be modified for modern living. The housing is cheap. You can buy a nice arts and crafts bungalow, or a shirtwaist house, for half the price of what it would cost in Brookside, the West Plaza, Waldo, or some parts of Midtown.

A couple of changes could change the entire makeup of the Old Northeast. The first would be for City leaders to get behind expanding Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences into a full-fledged university with an on-campus population of several thousand, with plans to expand it to a much larger number over time. A neighborhood can change very quickly if you attract human capital and "brains."

The second thing is providing some sort of incentive for tech and bioscience companies to set up shop in the two large warehouses in the Old Northeast: the former Montgomery Ward warehouse on Belmont, which has more sq. footage than One Kansas City Place. The other is the former Hardesty Federal Complex, which also has a large warehouse with large floor plates. Both on are bus routes now, and there is plenty of parking on-site.

City leaders need to have a vision for the neighborhoods here, and start implementing plans to bring jobs back, provide stabilization, and increase law enforcement.

One of the largest redevelopment opportunities left near downtown is the Paseo West/Jazz Hill area bounded by I-70, Independence Avenue, Paseo, and I-35. This area is perfect for mass redevelopment because their are few homes to be displaced, and a lot of industrial related businesses with large vacant parcels attached to them. Their are entire blocks that could easily be developed without the need to tear down large buildings, or deal with historic preservation concerns. Thus, new buildings could have large underground parking garages and interior block parking garages without created large voids in the street, and dead blocks. You could easily mix retail, office, and housing in this environment.

Doing this would have a spillover effect to the Old Northeast because jobs would be created, and plenty of cheap housing would be available nearby to creative talent.

There are opportunities here, there just needs to be a vision and some strong leadership.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

loftguy wrote:Must be hard to live with such disdain for change.
I wouldn't know. It's probably harder to live in fantasy land.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

FangKC wrote:Well, the first thing that needs to happen before the Northeast can see improvement is the habit of local residents repeatedly calling it a "basket case" and dumping on it at every opportunity. If more people would talk up the Old Northeast, like I do, instead of constantly disparaging it, that would be a huge improvement.

Believe me, I've seen much worse neighborhoods come back. I lived on the edge of Alphabet City in NYC in the early 90s. It's been completely gentrified since then.

The Old Northeast has good bones as a neighborhood. It's close to downtown, has a lot of wonderful old homes. Ones with beautiful interiors and others that are plain, but ripe to be modified for modern living. The housing is cheap. You can buy a nice arts and crafts bungalow, or a shirtwaist house, for half the price of what it would cost in Brookside, the West Plaza, Waldo, or some parts of Midtown.

A couple of changes could change the entire makeup of the Old Northeast. The first would be for City leaders to get behind expanding Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences into a full-fledged university with an on-campus population of several thousand, with plans to expand it to a much larger number over time. A neighborhood can change very quickly if you attract human capital and "brains."

The second thing is providing some sort of incentive for tech and bioscience companies to set up shop in the two large warehouses in the Old Northeast: the former Montgomery Ward warehouse on Belmont, which has more sq. footage than One Kansas City Place. The other is the former Hardesty Federal Complex, which also has a large warehouse with large floor plates. Both on are bus routes now, and there is plenty of parking on-site.

City leaders need to have a vision for the neighborhoods here, and start implementing plans to bring jobs back, provide stabilization, and increase law enforcement.

One of the largest redevelopment opportunities left near downtown is the Paseo West/Jazz Hill area bounded by I-70, Independence Avenue, Paseo, and I-35. This area is perfect for mass redevelopment because their are few homes to be displaced, and a lot of industrial related businesses with large vacant parcels attached to them. Their are entire blocks that could easily be developed without the need to tear down large buildings, or deal with historic preservation concerns. Thus, new buildings could have large underground parking garages and interior block parking garages without created large voids in the street, and dead blocks. You could easily mix retail, office, and housing in this environment.

Doing this would have a spillover effect to the Old Northeast because jobs would be created, and plenty of cheap housing would be available nearby to creative talent.

There are opportunities here, there just needs to be a vision and some strong leadership.
Git R Done.

It's time for the youngsters out there to take charge from the geezers like me who tried and failed and the ones before me that failed and the ones before them that failed and so on and so on.....

Btw, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Alphabet City on the Lower East Side of Manhattan Island?

And isn't that the same island that is now so overpriced real estate-wise that if you don't make at least 300k-500k a year, you can't afford to live there and are forced to move to the outer boroughs?

Kansas City doesn't have that problem and probably never will. You can easily move to a very affordable brand new home outside the city core and enjoy a very good life, while still having a very short drive to enjoy the city's amenities, without having to live in the hood, or even the city.

Seeing that the KCMOSD is in ruins and has been for a long time, you can't fault people who decide to move out of K.C. or at least move out of the central core and out of the district when their kids get school-age. The state of the school district is probably the biggest factor that keeps people from wanting to move to neighborhoods like Northeast.

Try fixing the schools first. Until you do, you won't attract families who might want to live there and give Northeast the stability it needs.

You need density. And you'll never see that density in your lifetime. There's just too much space around here.

Northeast has always been, since it's inception, even considering the mansions on Gladstone Blvd, the first place immigrants and refugees have lived when they came to Kansas City.

You guys have been talking about the revitalization of Northeast for 10 years. Other than a few houses getting re-habbed, what else has changed?

I remember when they put up that big 'ol brick column with a big-ass Scarritt Place plaque on that corner of Lexington on the east side of the Lex/Chestnut bridge. I thought "Wow! Someone's trying to spruce the place up" and then said to myself that it wouldn't last 6 months. I was wrong. It only lasted 3 months.

Bam! A car plowed right over it and disappeared.

Ain't nothing wrong with having dreams. Good luck.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

FangKC wrote:The Northeast needs more artists, musicians, gays, and other creative types to buy houses here. All these groups are associated with improvements in neighborhoods that will later gentrify--making it possible for upgrades in homes and neighborhoods, higher home values, less crime, etc.
There's enough artists in the Northeast that its referred to in the arts scene as the "KCAI retirement community."
It's where KCAI grads stay if they don't go for broke in Brooklyn, start families.
Problem is, none of them are insane and take the commercial risk to begin the gentrification. Dozens of successful, established mid-career artists over there, owning homes but 'done with' running Bottoms/Xroads galleries, cafes. I'd say the NE is more a cul de sac of gentrification than a driver.
There's no equivalent to YJ's.
Plus, its too far from the city and dysfunctional to amass the starving artists' lifestyles, which is problematic for progress.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Too far from the city? Pendleton Heights is five minutes from Downtown. You can get downtown from most the eastern-most parts of the Old NE in 15 minutes.

Dysfunctional? How? Please elaborate.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

More homes added to Pendleton Heights Holiday Tour tomorrow afternoon
The tour itself will run from noon to 5 p.m. (on Saturday, December 7). Advance tickets cost $10 and $15 the day of the tour. To purchase tickets online, visit http://phtour.uticketit.com/ or purchase tickets the day of at the ticket booth, 546 Olive Street, Kansas City, Mo. Tour maps and booklets will also be available at the booth. Parking will be available at Garfield Elementary School, 436 Prospect Ave.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=21863
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

To anyone considering the holiday homes tour this year, go! I won't be able to make it but have been the past couple of years and it really shines a light on the community in Pendleton Heights, and gives a nice little glimpse into some fantastic homes.