Pendleton Heights rocks!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by alpha_glamourina »

Link, please?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

alpha_glamourina wrote:Link, please?
Nothing more than this comes up. Is it more than rumor?

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=11368

http://www.change.org/petitions/j-e-dun ... -reservoir
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Nothing got done in the 14 years since people got upset about the threat of the reservoirs burial, and what is it now, a plot of weeds with cement around it. So now the issue "rears its ugly head" again, what can be done?

Just maybe it could fill the donut hole in downtown in the winter season; Fill it with water and let it be used for amateur hockey events to the cheering crowds. In summer, the RC Sail craft club could hold its first annual regatta. Fill it in with dirt! Make it a community garden and force the panhandlers to tend the crop for rights to their working corner.

Yeah, I bet in the 14 years since the grand "editorial" saved this precious landmark some good ideas were mentioned. Why didn't they come to fruition from the extraordinary grass root effort?
If you fertilize the grass, you still have to pull the weeds! TIF anyone?

http://hyperblogal.blogspot.com/2009/02 ... -dogs.html
Last edited by phna on Tue May 29, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Looks like a great skateboard park to me.Clean it up and add some grills and bathrooms so the kids could have something to do besides shooting eachother.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Hi again! :D
If you didn't know it already, the 6th Annual Pendleton Heights Homes Tour is happening tomorrow. The details-

12-5pm: Start the day at Scuola Vita Nuova (tickets, info, tour the school & something extra, read below), then tour 5 homes decked out for the holidays. Some of the homes are mansions around the 5th block of Prospect. If you've ever been over here, you probably have wondered what the inside of those gorgeous places look like. Tomorrow is the day to check that off your bucket list as far as "local" goes.

11-6pm: Pop Up Artists Market & Bazaar (inside Scuola Vita Nuova/ Wabash @Independence Ave.). THIS is really exciting! With artists like Nicole Cawlfield, Joscelyn Himes, Debra M. Smith, Bryan Clark, Jill & Dave Daleo (among others), you know it's going to be worth checking out. We're doing this spin off event for two reasons. A lot of really talented people live in the neighborhood (PH & Northeast), and we want to showcase that reality. The other thing is, it gives people a chance to do some holiday gift shopping for unique stuff while on the tour.

Oh, and there'll be food trucks too, so this year nobody has to go away hungry! The vendors this year are 3 Girls Cupcakes, Indios Carbonsitos, Derr's Wiener Wagon/artisinal sausages, Cajun Cabin, and Kettle Corn. Eleos Coffee will also be set up in the Pop Up gallery, so you can get a good cup o' Joe while you're out and about.

Santa will be there too, so bring your camera and your kids if you've got 'em (12 & under get in FREE). Entrance to the pop up is free of charge. There's so much more than this happening in the neighborhood tomorrow, but these are the highlights. For more info and tickets ($10 advance/$12 tomorrow), follow the link:http://ph.uticketit.com/ I hope to see you there. I'll be in the gallery most of the day, so stop by and say hello!

Images of the kind of art you can expect to see tomorrow can be viewed on the PH fan page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pendleto ... 1891433869

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The PH holiday homes tour was great this year, and the neighborly vibe in the area remains infectious. I loved the addition of the food trucks and artist market - felt like a proper "event" and seemed very well attended. I also made it to the NE Homes Tour earlier this year and enjoyed that as well. To those of you living in PH and Scarritt, keep up the good work!
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Thank you, I'm really glad you came out for it! It was the best one yet. I know I say that every year- and it's true- but this one was special, and for all of the reasons you cited. I didn't get to do much leisurely strolling through the homes because I was working the pop up at SVN, but at least I got to do a quick run through. No way was I going to miss out on seeing the inside of that stone prairie style home on Prospect!

I was especially grateful for the food trucks. =P~ I swore I was going to sample something from each, and actually managed to (breakfast, lunch & dinner). I'm still thinking about that turkey & duck sausage with gravy from Derr's Wiener Wagon. So good!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

independence avenue streetcar will be a topic at tomorrow's neighborhood meeting: https://www.facebook.com/events/486834868026754/
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

If you've not been in Pendleton Heights in awhile (or ever?), here's a great excuse to revisit it- Our annual neighborhood wide yard sale is happening on Saturday June 8th, from 7am-2pm. After the first yard sale I figured I wouldn't have anything to get rid of, and I was right...or so I thought. The next year came 'round, and I went digging through our attic and basement. Refilled the entire porch. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that this is how it plays out for most of my neighbors as well. We buy all kinds of stuff to fix up &/or decorate our homes with throughout the year, and then later realize we don't really need it. That said, if you show up for this year's sale, you can bet you're going to find lots of interesting items for sale. Some things will astonish you, some things you may not be able to live without, and some things will make you wonder wtf. :shock:

Bonus for those who are into architectural restoration: So many homes have been renovated (and a few are for sale) since last year, so even if you don't buy anything from the yard sales, it'd be worth it to check out the progress being made over here.

More info on the FB invitation page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/297327653735214/
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Edited to add: you can pick up your map of participating homes the morning of the event at the tent stationed at Independence & Park Avenues.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

went to Cliff Drive today with the dogs to enjoy a beautiful "car free weekend" run, and was dismayed to find (for the second Cliff Drive trip in a row), rather sketchy looking people driving up and down the road. Many of them. To the NE folks - how do these people get onto Cliff Drive with the gates closed, and what can one do or say to prevent this from happening. Are there neighborhood groups that monitor this?

In an area that seems like it constantly struggles with crime and perception issues, this one "breaking the rules" thing for what is such a cool community asset really bugs me. Just seems like no one gives shit.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote:went to Cliff Drive today with the dogs to enjoy a beautiful "car free weekend" run, and was dismayed to find (for the second Cliff Drive trip in a row), rather sketchy looking people driving up and down the road. Many of them. To the NE folks - how do these people get onto Cliff Drive with the gates closed, and what can one do or say to prevent this from happening. Are there neighborhood groups that monitor this?

In an area that seems like it constantly struggles with crime and perception issues, this one "breaking the rules" thing for what is such a cool community asset really bugs me. Just seems like no one gives shit.
I thought that some of them actually live in the woods.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If you want to live near downtown, and in Pendleton Heights, or already do, and don't like old Victorian-era houses, you might be interested in this airy modern ranch-style home. It's not listed yet, but will be soon. Eric Bellamaganya is the realtor -- 816-529-7171. The address is 209 Olive. It also one of two houses I know of in Pendleton Heights that has a in-ground swimming pool. The house doesn't appear to need any significant renovations done either. It's a block from North Terrace Park.

http://hyperblogal.blogspot.com/2013/08 ... ranch.html

http://ericbsellskc.com/

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=209+Oliv ... 4,,0,-4.95
extremus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by extremus »

FangKC wrote:If you want to live near downtown, and in Pendleton Heights, or already do, and don't like old Victorian-era houses, you might be interested in this airy modern ranch-style home. It's not listed yet, but will be soon. Eric Bellamaganya is the realtor -- 816-529-7171. The address is 209 Olive. It also one of two houses I know of in Pendleton Heights that has a in-ground swimming pool. The house doesn't appear to need any significant renovations done either. It's a block from North Terrace Park.
Under contract...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Wow, that sold fast.
extremus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by extremus »

rxlexi wrote:went to Cliff Drive today with the dogs to enjoy a beautiful "car free weekend" run, and was dismayed to find (for the second Cliff Drive trip in a row), rather sketchy looking people driving up and down the road. Many of them. To the NE folks - how do these people get onto Cliff Drive with the gates closed, and what can one do or say to prevent this from happening. Are there neighborhood groups that monitor this?

Au contraire! PH has a block watch group on Facebook, which has helped in catching burglars and to get hookers of the Avenue and get the curfew in the parks at Brooklyn and the Avenue enforced.

Next time you see someone driving on Cliff Drive during a "car free weekend" why don't you give a shit and dial 911. Also post about it to the PH Block Watch FB page and people will follow up on it.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

There's many ways to get on Cliff Drive in a car or truck. Lot of them don't require passing through locked gates. Some of those gates you can just drive around in the grass. I once drove up on it by Green Lake in a K5 Blazer from Chestnut. Over the curb and through the woods. To grandmothers house we go.
extremus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by extremus »

Joe Smith wrote:
There's many ways to get on Cliff Drive in a car or truck. Lot of them don't require passing through locked gates. Some of those gates you can just drive around in the grass. I once drove up on it by Green Lake in a K5 Blazer from Chestnut. Over the curb and through the woods. To grandmothers house we go.

You are right. Doesn't make it legal.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

extremus wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:

We've had group runs there and if we see vehicles, we call the police to report them. Ha! [-X
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

extremus wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:

Legal Schmegal. Like the cops care. I think it was closed back then anyway or at least that part was closed.

In Northeast they aren't really policemen, they're janitors. They don't stop problems, just clean up the mess afterward.

You might change your block. A little. Your never gonna change Northeast. It's too big and you're too small.