Pendleton Heights rocks!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by tat2kc »

We got  moved into the new house in Pendleton Heights this weekend.  Major, Major plumbing issues, but the seller is still agreeing to fix them all, so that is nice. 

In less than 24 hours of taking possession, we've met more than a dozen neighbors, a few who are forum members. They all came by and welcomed us to the street, talked about the area, and made us feel very welcome. (thanks Walter and Sam, and Eric!)  Within a day we had met and talked with more people than we met in the loft in a year.  It truly is a great neighborhood! We have only on street parking, also no problems. We've seen neighbors with covertibles, new Mustangs, Range Rovers, all parked on the street, and all perfectly safe.  its a mix of young single folks, families with kids, older folks, you name it.  I really can't say enough nice things about the area.  If you are looking to buy a home, you need to check out Pendleton Heights. I know we made the right decision to move here, despite leaving the Crossroads.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by chrizow »

congratulations on the new 'hood. 

and post pictures!!!!!  i dont know where Pendleton Heights is.   8-[
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Pendleton Heights is a National HIstoric Neighborhood in Northeast Kansas City, north of Independence Ave, between the Paseo and Prospect. It may be a bit larger than that. It is filled with a variety of victorian and gothic homes, some very large, some modest size. Ours is 1700 sq ft. built in 1902 for the director of freight services for KC Southern Railway. Property values are increasing dramatically, and people are buying homes and renovating left and right. All the houses on my street are occupied and in good shape. 

There is no trash, no vagrants, no loud music. And in driving on Indpendence Ave from downtown to Olive St., I've not seen one hooker! Dammit!  :D  And I've been looking too! Either I'm completely clueless, or they are well disguised ho's. The stretch of Indpendence Ave. by the house is very quiet, even late at night. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I've only been in KC for 2 and a half years, and as I share in about every other post, I spend about 20 hours a week exploring/training on my bike.  I would say the Independence Avenue is dramatically different than it was when I first explored it and it remains one of my favorite places to ride.  I'd say the areas along and east of Chesnutt, north of Independence, still need some love, but the vibe on Independence has gone from pretty rough to gritty, diverse and eclectic. 

I'd love to buy in this neighborhood, but I have no desire or need for a big house.  It'll be condo life for me, even though I have a feeling that the Northeast is a slam dunk investment.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

^

yes.  my impression is that Westside and the close-in hoods of Old Northeast have become like the Xroads for the single-family-home set.  lots of young couples, gay couples, etc.  i need to check it out.
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

The avenue has been a little lonely lately, but trust, me they are there.  Check out Admiral Blvd, sometimes they hang out there between the highway and Paseo.  Glad you like the nieighborhood and I am sure you will get to know the hookers soon, have patience.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

tat2kc wrote: Pendleton Heights is a National HIstoric Neighborhood in Northeast Kansas City, north of Independence Ave, between the Paseo and Prospect. It may be a bit larger than that. It is filled with a variety of victorian and gothic homes, some very large, some modest size. Ours is 1700 sq ft. built in 1902 for the director of freight services for KC Southern Railway. Property values are increasing dramatically, and people are buying homes and renovating left and right. All the houses on my street are occupied and in good shape.

There is no trash, no vagrants, no loud music. And in driving on Indpendence Ave from downtown to Olive St., I've not seen one hooker! Dammit!    And I've been looking too! Either I'm completely clueless, or they are well disguised ho's. The stretch of Indpendence Ave. by the house is very quiet, even late at night.
How much do houses in that area cost?
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Independence Ave hookers are awesome.  they look like Gollum.
ozone84
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ozone84 »

Congratulations tat.  My wife and I looked at Pendleton Heights back in '01 when we were moving back from Minneapolis.  We loved the houses on Garfield and Olive but just couldn't find the right one.  Our time was limited to find a house or I'm sure we would have ended up around there somewhere.  As I've said before, I won't live long enough to get to reside in every neighborhood I'd like to.  PH is definitely a comer!

I have a feeling I know "Walter".  Lists a lot of houses in that area.  Now with Prudential?  I still go to his site to drool over the occasional gem he lists.
"If you plan cities for cars and traffic, you get cars and traffic. If you plan for people and places, you get people and places." - Fred Kent : Project For Public Spaces
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The price ranges are pretty wide on the homes.  Ours was less than $115,000; some can go much higher, some lower.  It really kind of reminds me of Hyde Park a few years ago, when you could get a lot of house for little money. Structurally, most are in excellent condition. A fair number need some pretty extensive renovations (plumbing, electrical, etc.), but many have have that done, and just need cosmetic stuff, like decent paint and window coverings, updated appliances, and such.  But some have already been renovated, and you don't need to do anything.  It really depends on how much work you are willing to do. There is one a few doors up from me that went for less than $200,000, beautifully redone, wood floors restored, slate and granite, new clawfoot tubs, fireplace, great little touches.

One thing we did do, was explore the neighorhood on foot before we bought.  We looked at the homes around us, walked Independence Ave., and got a good vibe. The homes were well maintained, the streets clean and trash free, kids were playing at the school down the street, and Indepence Ave was actually very attractive.Its definately a much more urban neighborhood. We are less than a block from Independence Ave, so there is lots of retail, restaurants, etc.  Its not a stretch of vacant store fronts or anything like that.  A very diverse neighborhood also. African, Asian, Hispanic, older couples, young families, single folks, you name it.

If you are in the market to buy something, want a very small yard, diverse population, and still reasonable prices, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at the neighborhood. 
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

I agree about PH.

My wife and I moved in about 2 years ago and have had no problems at all.  Our neighbors are great, the street is quiet, the houses beautiful...etc.  We bought one of the smaller houses in the area (3 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dining room, big kitchen) for $70,000.  Earlier this year a house of similar size sold for $85,000. 

I think the best thing about the area is the close proximity to all the parks and Cliff Drive.  Not only can I see downtown from my front porch, but I can take long walks along on a tree and cliff  lined street or play disc golf in a huge park.

I'm glad you like the hood!
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

thanks catfish! and welcome to the forum. We've gotten a few new folks to join in, its great.
cityboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by cityboy »

Congrats to the new residents of P.H. ...welcome.  You should join the neighborhood group if you haven't done so already.  It is important for people of urban neighborhoods to work together.  Sounds like you have a pretty cool home catfish1812.  When was it built? How bout yours tat2kc?
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

Our place was built in 1902 ( think).  i think that's what our abstract says.  I love the neighborhood and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Mine was also built in 1902, and was originally the home for the director of freight operations for Kansas City Southern Railway. And yea, we plan on joining the neighborhood group as soon as we get unpacked and settled in. I'm looking forward to it.
HydeParker
Pad site
Pad site

Post by HydeParker »

OK, now I am interested in Pendleton Heights.  I might want to buy soon.  I don't think I have heard of it before.  I drove around looking tonight but didn't bring my map. I was driving around Columbus Park directly east  of the River Market area.  Does anyone know what that  neighborhood is called ?  What is it like ?  I presume it is Italian.  It seemed cool, if not a lot of nice architecture.  Things were pleasant enough, people were looking after their places, and kids were playing around.   

Now, after consulting my map, I realize that  I was a little too far west for PH.  Try again this week.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

its definately worth a look. The home next to mine is being renovated as we speak, it should look good when done.  Lots and lots of older homes; a few 70's style ranches, which really stick out in the neighborhood.  There are a couple real estate agents who live near me, I can get you a name if you need it. Are you up for doing some renovation work yourself?
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

HydeParker wrote: OK, now I am interested in Pendleton Heights.  I might want to buy soon.  I don't think I have heard of it before.  I drove around looking tonight but didn't bring my map. I was driving around Columbus Park directly east  of the River Market area.  Does anyone know what that  neighborhood is called ?   What is it like ?  I presume it is Italian.  It seemed cool, if not a lot of nice architecture.  Things were pleasant enough, people were looking after their places, and kids were playing around.   

Now, after consulting my map, I realize that  I was a little too far west for PH.  Try again this week.
Unless I'm confused, we always just referred to that neighborhood between the River Quay and the Paseo as Columbus Park. It's origins are definitely Italian, and there is still a lot of Italian influence now, but it has evolved into mostly a Vietnamese neighborhood these days. It is indeed a very interesting neighborhood, but as a realtor friend of mine pointed out, has very little turnover, so there aren't that many options to buy in there.

I live on the same street as tat2kc and there is a house for sale right next to his that is absolutely enormous and selling for I think 159,000. It's by no means updated with modern amenities, though it seems in pretty good shape and would be a killer with some elbow grease. Like tat2kc said, you'll have to want to do some renovation, including a re-conversion, yourself. Listing agent's name is Eric B. - he's also our neighbor - office number is 913-754-1171 if you're interested.
HydeParker
Pad site
Pad site

Post by HydeParker »

Thanks.  I am probably not going to do any remodeling myself and it will be a while, maybe a year or so, before I am ready to get started looking.  I will write down that number though. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Eric B. the realtor mentioned, is also very active in the neighborhood association, so he'd be a great contact to find out more abou the area, and see whats available and such. He's a great guy, keep him in mind.