Pendleton Heights rocks!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by Joe Smith »

geeman68 wrote:
extremus wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:
There's many ways to get on Cliff Drive in a car or truck. Lot of them don't require passing through locked gates. Some of those gates you can just drive around in the grass. I once drove up on it by Green Lake in a K5 Blazer from Chestnut. Over the curb and through the woods. To grandmothers house we go.

You are right. Doesn't make it legal.
We've had group runs there and if we see vehicles, we call the police to report them. Ha! [-X
How fast was their response? 6 hours? Which btw was how long it took them to show up at my house on Norledge when I called in a stolen car that had been left running in front of it. Sitting there when I got home from work. Sat there and ran the whole time. I wasn't gonna touch it.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Joe Smith wrote:
extremus wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:
There's many ways to get on Cliff Drive in a car or truck. Lot of them don't require passing through locked gates. Some of those gates you can just drive around in the grass. I once drove up on it by Green Lake in a K5 Blazer from Chestnut. Over the curb and through the woods. To grandmothers house we go.

You are right. Doesn't make it legal.
Legal Schmegal. Like the cops care. I think it was closed back then anyway or at least that part was closed.

In Northeast they aren't really policemen, they're janitors. They don't stop problems, just clean up the mess afterward.

You might change your block. A little. Your never gonna change Northeast. It's too big and you're too small.

Welcome to the forum extremus! Now where is swid...we need a comment akp can jump all over to begin the initiation.
extremus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by extremus »

Joe Smith wrote: How fast was their response? 6 hours? Which btw was how long it took them to show up at my house on Norledge when I called in a stolen car that had been left running in front of it. Sitting there when I got home from work. Sat there and ran the whole time. I wasn't gonna touch it.
Here's an explanation of why it might have taken so long: 911 Priority Calls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbjoHdlrEUU
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

One time on the way home from work about 4am I was headed north on Benton and got hit by a car full of guys who ran the stop sign at Thompson. They kept going on up to Gladstone and turned right headed toward the Concourse. I ran up Benton trying to catch up with them. We met at the Rock and the passenger pointed a gun out the window at me as they drove up Gladstone toward the museum. At that point, I turned on St. John and went home and called 911 on the fuckers. It took 4 hours for the cop to show up. I told him the story, showed him the damage to my truck. He didn't believe me. He had me take him back to the scene where we found some broken glass (one of my headlights) and a piece of the other vehicle. He still didn't believe me. Nothing ever came of it.

The KCPD don't give a shit about honest, hard working folk living in Northeast who have to put up with the daily onslaught of assaults and property crime. They can talk all they want. It's just talk. Action speaks louder than their b.s. they try to feed us.

They are not proactive. They are not reactive. East Patrol is all about CYA. That's all they really care about based on their actions.

If you're trying to clean the place up, you can't do it alone. You need the police. 99% of the time that help is not coming and you're on your own.

What's really sad is that if you live in Northeast, you have had the same experiences and the same stories. Crime is constant and never ends in Northeast.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A couple in Nebraska recreated the James Bryan house, located on Garfield--in Pendleton Heights--here in Kansas City, from the original plans. The house cost about $980,000 to recreate in 2002.

http://hookedonhouses.net/2013/11/14/a- ... t-in-2002/

Nebraska couple's website discusses the construction and costs.

http://www.castlevictorian.com/#

The location of the James Bryan house.

http://tinyurl.com/mylu3qt

Original house.

Recreated house.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Joe Smith wrote:What's really sad is that if you live in Northeast, you have had the same experiences and the same stories. Crime is constant and never ends in Northeast.
In the > 7 years I've lived here, I have only had a very few incidents, but police response time is mostly a joke. There have been times when it has been adequate, though I think for the most part you can't count on police to protect you.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It might depend on the area. The Old Northeast is a pretty vast area of neighborhoods, since technically it's everything north of Truman Road between Paseo and Winchester, and south of Gladstone Boulevard.

I have lived in North Indian Mound for five years now, and haven't had any trouble at all. Small children play in their front yards in the evening, and residents sit on their porches. I feel completely safe, as do my neighbors.

I know the police officers who patrol this area, and don't have any issues with them, or their response time. One of the officers even gave me his city cell phone number that he carries. They were even proactive going around to houses telling us about a young man who was stealing things off porches, and from garages, and to call them if we saw him in the neighborhood.

If you attempt to form a personal relationship with your patrol officers, I think things will improve in your neighborhood, since officers do depend on resident input, and intelligence-gathering from property owners. The officer told me the hardest neighborhoods to have an effect in are those where the residents don't communicate with the patrol officers. They basically need one good, observant citizen on every block.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Like most of your posts Harbinger, your hyperbole is over the top.

I drive down Independence Avenue regularly, and one rarely sees a prostitute
openly plying her trade. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw such a thing.

And I have yet to see, or have, a crack-head leap in front of my car,
or these so-called "crazies" that cruise the streets accosting children.

The deck in front of my house is full of decorative elements, planters,
and lawn furniture, and I have yet to have anything touched.
My neighbor across the street has a similar situation on her porch.

Yes, there are still problems near Independence Avenue,
and the blocks closest to it. Some of that comes from people
who hang around convenience stores, pawn shops, and gas stations.

The community has been working with the KCPD trying to
get officers regularly walking a beat on Independence Avenue.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=12553

As some neighborhoods in the Northeast gentrify, hopefully
the number of rental houses will decrease as well. This, by
itself, could remove a number of troublesome residents
from the area.

The City has also been taking measures to strength
measures to reduce copper and metal theft at local
salvage operations. Most sellers now are being documented
and their copies of their IDs photocopied. Police are
working with salvage operations to educate them
on how to identify questionable materials.

When there is a theft in the neighborhood, police officers
are also pro-actively talking to surrounding neighbors
to gather information, and to educate us to keep watch
for suspicious parties, or particular individuals.

There is a graffiti remediation program that attacks
new graffiti tagging inside the neighborhoods.

In my neighborhood, this summer there were several
properties upgraded, and renovations of older homes.

Like I said, it depends on the neighborhood, and how
well neighbors work together.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

FangKC wrote:I drive down Independence Avenue regularly, and one rarely sees a prostitute
openly plying her trade. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw such a thing.
Dude. Come on now. I drive down the Avenue most days/nights and while it decreases when the temperature drops, you can find a hooker working somewhere between Benton and the old steel mill (and probably in lots of other places, but that's my typical route) literally every night. When it is warm, they're everywhere. I guess it depends on what you mean by "openly plying her trade" but I'm familiar enough with how this all works that I can pretty easily identify a prostitute vs. someone just walking down the street.
FangKC wrote:And I have yet to see, or have, a crack-head leap in front of my car,
or these so-called "crazies" that cruise the streets accosting children.
I haven't seen those things either, although a John was beating up a prostitute literally right in front of my house a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was just some dude beating up a girl, and I intervened. He sped off. I talked to her a little, turned out she was 19, pregnant (with a John's baby, she said), and a crack addict. And the dude beating her up had just paid her for services and was beating her up in an attempt to get his money back. I let her use my phone (nobody answered) and gave her a ride to Monroe @ the Avenue so she could "get back to work". She was completely unabashed about the whole thing and forthrightly answered all my questions. I felt terrible for her and meekly suggested she seek help, but what the hell kind of help is out there? I really don't know. I felt like I should have a phone number or something for her to call, but I didn't.

If you don't see this stuff going on along the Avenue, you seriously aren't paying attention.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No, I think it's funny that you know the hookers, and their location, on the Avenue.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Har har har. I didn't say I knew the hookers and their locations. I've only ever talked to the one I tried to help after she got beat up right in front of my house. What I'm saying is I can identify behaviors typical of a prostitute as I drive by, and after I've driven down the same stretch of road for years and seen the same people working the same strip over and over again, it becomes pretty readily apparent who is just going about their business and who is working. The key is in eye contact. People just going about their business aren't trying to make eye contact with everyone who drives by. But hookers are.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

The cool thing about The Avenue from a drug-using perspective is that if you don't know where to find some crack or whatever, you can just pick up a hooker and tell her straight up when you drive off, "I'm not looking for pussy, but where can I score some rocks?"

They all know where to score. that's why they work The Avenue. They're more than happy to help you out, cause they gonna get some too.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

After all, the name of the thread is "Pendleton Heights rocks...."

Branding, I guess.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah prostitution is beyond obvious on Indep Ave and, seemingly, along 9th street as well (presumably they're getting pushed down there). but, just as often, i see extremely aggressive police presence and attention to the prostitutes and their ostensible pimps on the Ave. bloomberg stop and frisk type action.

it seems to have decreased somewhat, but Troost between about 40th and 45th is maybe even more obvious - the tranny hookers actually dress like the stereotypical hooker, in tiny dresses and big heels and wigs...whereas the Indep Ave hookers are wearing like oversized Tweety Bird t-shirts, denim cutoffs, no shoes, and are invariably carrying an enormous soft drink.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I have only rarely seen ladies working on 9th, although it happens. The Avenue is the hotspot, obviously.

After driving down the Avenue for close to a decade, sometimes multiple times per day, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen police at all and one of those was because they'd set up a sobriety checkpoint. I can't recall ever even seeing anyone pulled over. I've always assumed they do vice stings over at the grand triumvirate of Royale/Admiral/Capri, but I've never actually seen one.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote:I have only rarely seen ladies working on 9th, although it happens. The Avenue is the hotspot, obviously.

After driving down the Avenue for close to a decade, sometimes multiple times per day, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen police at all and one of those was because they'd set up a sobriety checkpoint. I can't recall ever even seeing anyone pulled over. I've always assumed they do vice stings over at the grand triumvirate of Royale/Admiral/Capri, but I've never actually seen one.
granted, i do not live in the area and am only there for cheap bars or Local Pig, but i have been up there on warm Saturday evenings more than once in the past year when it felt like a COPS episode every three blocks. like two cruisers parked askew, cherries lit, with a pimp against a wall and the prostitute screaming in the cops' faces and acting a'fool for all to see. it made me think to myself, "hmm, the cops seem to be giving a shit up here."

but, of course, i defer to your daily experience and maybe i just witnessed the occasional "sweep" of the Ave.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.reeceandnichols.com/homes-fo ... n-89486317

Not Pendleton Heights, but I have long enjoyed this house. Good size, classic KC shirtwaist, intact. Pretty cool to have a latino meat market across the street!

We are not really in the market at the moment, but what is the reality of living at St. John and Jackson, from people who live up that way now. Are we talking a midtown level of shenanigans (i.e. an elevated background level of crime but tolerable), or would one just be fucked with constantly?

Historic NE is just so enormous, and I am sure that crime and safety issues vary widely neighborhood-by-neighborhood. Would 101 Jackson be in a "good" area of NE (or "bad" or "so-so" or?).
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote:like two cruisers parked askew, cherries lit, with a pimp against a wall and the prostitute screaming in the cops' faces and acting a'fool for all to see. it made me think to myself, "hmm, the cops seem to be giving a shit up here."
Yeah, I've seen something along those lines a few times, but it certainly doesn't happen often enough that it's had much of an impact. It's entirely possible there's been more police action further west towards Prospect, too; I don't go that way very often so I don't know what it's like over that way.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

chrizow wrote:Are we talking a midtown level of shenanigans (i.e. an elevated background level of crime but tolerable), or would one just be fucked with constantly?

Historic NE is just so enormous, and I am sure that crime and safety issues vary widely neighborhood-by-neighborhood. Would 101 Jackson be in a "good" area of NE (or "bad" or "so-so" or?).
I'm not a direct source of this data point, but a good friend of mine lived on the 300 block of Jackson from 2006 until a month ago. From both what he told me and from all the times I'd go over to visit him, that street seemed more on the "midtown" side of the shenanigan continuum.