Pendleton Heights rocks!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by nota »

tat2kc wrote:
My only complaint was the broker representing the seller of my home.  She was not as honest as I hoped, and some things that were supposed to be done were not, and some intentionally fixed just enough to last till closing. We'll be filing suit to recover some funds in the next week or so.  Its unfortunate that less than honorable "flippers" are buying some of the properties, and doing substandard work, when doing the job right would not have cost any more.  Regardless of the problems, I still would have bought the house.  I just wish she had not mislead us on some things. She was also much more involved with the seller than she disclosed to us.  
In addition to suing, you should also be able to file a complaint with her professional organization. Make it as detailed as possible. Might not help you, but it might help the next unsuspecting buyer.

Inspections must be thorough and 100% or they are worthless. The inspectors have you sign so much stuff absolving them of any negligence that unless you have a really detailed list of problems and you go over them with a fine toothed comb and refuse to close till all are fixed to your satisfaction, you have no recourse. While it is easy and natural to blame the realtor and in your case it probably is fact, "caveat emptor" still applies. Ya just can't trust anyone you are buying from. Period the end.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Hello PH residents,

I have to say you sparked my interest in the neighborhood.  My wife and I took our 2 year old on a car and walking tour of the hood this evening (before the storm) and have mixed feelings.  There were houses, parts of blocks, and whole blocks that we loved and others that we questioned. 

We need some more input from the insiders...  We liked the looks of Olive alot.  2 other properties on Pendleton Ave (1841 and 1845) also have us drooling. 

Our concern is that we will be raising a family (we have the 2 year old and another coming in a month) and wanted to know if it is truly a family friendly atmosphere.  Also the 2 homes on Pendleton Ave back up to Maple Park.  Is that a good thing (a park like backyard) or a bad thing (sketchy park nightlife in your backyard)?

We are definitly interested enough to get inside to look at some of these houses, just hoping for as much info as possible before making any decisions...

Thanks!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

There are several families with young children on Olive, young elementary or preschool.  There is an elementary charter school at the corner of Olive and Independence, Scoula Vita Nouva. I think their focus is primarily literature.  I do see kids playing in the yards, and walking with their parents.  Maybe some of the PH residents with kids can speak to how they feel in terms of safety? 

But you are right about some blocks being questionable, and some being good.  You really need to get out and chat with the residents if they seem friendly, to get a feel.  Olive St. seems to be among the best streets in the area, at least 300, 400, and 500 block.  The house north of mine is for sale; its been converted to a duplex, but could easily be converted back to a single family home.  Balconies, porches, and a double lot. Very cool. The one just south of me is currently being renovated by 2 architects. I'm not sure if they are going to move back in or sell, the husband is returning to grad school in the fall. Its also a double lot. 

There is a real estate agent a couple doors down from me who has a very young daughter. If you want, PM me and I can get his phone number for you. He can show you some things and talk about what its like to raise a kiddo in the area.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

Hey Droopy!  I'm glad that you and your family took the time to wander around the neighborhood.  It's always interesting to see the expressions on people's faces as they drive around for the first time.  It reminds my wife and I of the afternoon we first drove by our house.  You love the feel of the houses and the streets but not sure if it is a good/safe place to live.  Since tat2kc covered what it's like to live on Olive, I figure that I'd be the representative for Pendleton Ave.

We moved into our house on Pendleton Ave about two years ago (just down the street from the 2 houses you mentioned)  and we have had no problems whatsoever.  The street is a very quiet place to live.  My father, who lives in the heart of Prairie Village, always comments on how our street is so much quieter than his street.  As for safety, I routinely walk my dog from Pendleton to Wabash and up to Independence Ave. and have never had any problems.  Once you get to know the neighborhood you'll understand that most of the houses and apartment buildings are full of families who really watch their children.

Our neighbors are great and there are several couples that have children who range from 2 years old up to teenagers.  There is a sense of community on our street that is bolstered by the fact that there are several families that own 2 or more houses on the same block.

I know you expressed some concern about buying a house backed up to Maple Park but I can assure you that it is much more of a positive than a negative.  Maple Park is a very well maintained place that is great if you have a dog that likes to play catch.  Most of our neighbors who have dogs use the park as their primary exercise grounds.  On many warm weekend days there are gatherings down at the soccer field for games. I know that there is an organized league made mostly of Hispanic players that play on Sundays and Saturdays are usually devoted to all the African players in the area (mostly from the Sudan).

As for the houses that you mentioned, I've been in both and each one has it's own unique qualities.  The three story green house is probably my favorite on the block.  It has been completely rehabilitated and is in perfect shape.  If we were in a position to move, I love to live in that the place.  The house next door is the last fixer-upper left on the street.  I've been inside and I can tell you that it needs some work.  It has some amazing architectural details and if it could be acquired for the right price it could eventually be a beauty.

Sorry if this is a long rambling post. I do really love where I live and relish the opportunity to share those feelings with others.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

cityboy wrote: Pendleton Heights has an organized plan for growth and development that was developed quite some time ago.  The concern is that the new development is proposed for an area that has existing housing so where will we put those displaced?  The proposal, which was snuck in the back door quietly, will be reviewed for compliance and either accepted or rejected.  We need to do what is in the best interest of all current and future residents of P.H.  even if that means that the city or a builder will not make money.  The entire process will be watched very closely.  Please know that urban neighborhoods are a bit touchy about "community urban plans" because we have been burned many, many times.  We welcome new neighbors, but would also like to see the current neighbors stay.  One has to be concerned about what is being built in his/her backyard.  Wouldn't you be concerned shinatoo?

As for future govt. assisted living areas....I suggest that the city look to the far less populated and severely blighted areas of the east side where the acres of vacant homes are crying out for redevelopment.  Just an idea  :roll:
Replace "Pendleton Heights" with "Hallbrooke" or "Lions Gate" and see how that post reads. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying that it's a little hypocritical of many of the posters on this forum not to call you out on that one like they do, say ..... Nota or JoeMoney.
mas
Surface Lot

Post by mas »

I'm glad i came across this thread. i have an offer in on the 212 Park Ave home. which i found after reading this thread!! i see a few of you live in the PH area already. maybe we'll be neighbors.  it seems like a decent neighborhood and getting better all the time. i was wondering if any of you know what the plans for the empty lot on the corner next to 212  are?
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

Good luck with the offer on the Park house.  There are a lot of great houses over there.

I have no idea what is going to happen with the lot next to the house.  There is one (or two) sets of stairs leading to empty space so I am assuming that someone still owns the lots.  If you get the house, it would be cool to expand your yard.

Let us know if your offer is accepted.  :)
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

welcome to the neighborhood, mas!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
mas
Surface Lot

Post by mas »

long story short. they countered with something not too cool so i waited awhile. they dropped the asking price two times, finally to my original offer. so i offered even less. they took it. pending inspection next week we close in Dec.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

congrats! give us a shout if you have any questions or help around the neighborhood.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

.It seems like an okay place although i'd like to see some infill housing on some of the many vacant lots to match the historic restorations. I think this neighborhood is the next big thing.
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

northeast was one of the areas i was looking to buy a home,  ended up in mid-town though.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

mas wrote: I'm glad i came across this thread. i have an offer in on the 212 Park Ave home. which i found after reading this thread!! i see a few of you live in the PH area already. maybe we'll be neighbors.  it seems like a decent neighborhood and getting better all the time. i was wondering if any of you know what the plans for the empty lot on the corner next to 212  are?
This seems very strange to me.

My wife and I just put an offer on this house yesterday. Yes, it's the same address: 212 Park Avenue. Huh. Weird.

I came here today to check out what folks said about Pendleton Heights, since I know next to nothing about it (I've lived mostly in midtown and Crestwood, and almost in Brookside). I'm happy to read so many of you like it there; that's very encouraging.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

One more thing: what's the best way to go about joining the neighborhood association in PH?
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

barkerr wrote: One more thing: what's the best way to go about joining the neighborhood association in PH?

That is a tough one.
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

Here is a link for the neighborhood association

http://www.pendletonheights.org/

I also have a line on an incredible house that needs a complete rehab.  Maybe $125K worth maybe more but there is money to be made if anybody is interested let me know. 

The homes tour is being organized now for sometime in the spring.  Should be a good collection of houses with a wide range of variety.  I am thinking about putting mine on the tour and there are a few that are certain that I know are very cool.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Put yous on the tour, Appaiser.  I've been wanting to check out that rooftop deck!
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Just as a sidebar, Scarritt is poised to climb back into the spotlight. New board of directors is coming on board in January. As a point of reference, Scarritt is just east of Pendleton. Scarritt will also be hosting a Spring homes tour. www.scarrittneighborhood.org is the URL.

Nice to see some positive "press" given to a Historic Northeast neighborhood!

Sportster
...gentrification is good!
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

Hello PH neighbors!  I thought I was the biggest fan of our neighborhood.  Anybody buy 212 Park Ave. yet?  We have a new neighbor at 425 Park Ave. too....just moved in last month. 425 is an adorable little Victorian Bungalow that was completely restored.  The same folks who restored this one just purchased 532 Olive and the lot to the north.  Preliminary plans are to restore the 3500sf home and build a new Victorian on the lot to the north.  532, surrounded by restored homes, will be fantastic! Wait a second...are Mas and Barkerr trying to buy the same home?
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

Hey, good to see you on here.  Looking forward to seeing 532 Olive.  I really think that house could be the best on the street after it is done.